Driving assessments and digi card

Got a driving assessment on Thursday. Can’t get time off work so I’m going to ‘make’ time

Question is: if they ask me to go for a drive. If I put my card in, will my current employer see what I have been up to? Or can he only see his vehicles on my card?

Cheers

He`ll see the lot mate.

cheekymonkey:
He`ll see the lot mate.

Oh yes :smiley: :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Total surveillance, just what the EU masterstate had in mind for us when we joined, endorsed and approved by an adoring British public each time they vote for the liblabcon party…:wink:

Superb. It’s in my contract that should I drive for any other company whilst employed by them they have Rome right to dismiss me immediately. Is this legit?

Also are their any rules on current employers allowing or disallowing drivers to go for interviews?

Do you need to use your card for a driving assessment ? Its not for hire or reward surely ?

BradCarTransporter:
Do you need to use your card for a driving assessment ? Its not for hire or reward surely ?

Well you don’t have to when training for test so I would think almost certainly not.

Also if you’re not getting paid either, and are unladen, it adds strongly to that case. I wouldn’t be surprised if some jobsworth firms didn’t demand you put the card in but if it was me doing assessments I would put the tacho on out of scope.

Own Account Driver:

BradCarTransporter:

Well you don’t have to when training for test so I would think almost certainly not.

There’s an exemption for training for a test but there’s no exemption for a driver assessment so I’m afraid the card will have to be used otherwise the assessor will almost certainly refuse to let the drive go ahead.

Whether the vehicle is being used for hire or reward doesn’t enter into the tachograph regulations any-more :wink:

tachograph:

Own Account Driver:

BradCarTransporter:

There’s an exemption for training for a test but there’s no exemption for a driver assessment so I’m afraid the card will have to be used otherwise the assessor will almost certainly refuse to let the drive go ahead.

Whether the vehicle is being used for hire or reward doesn’t enter into the tachograph regulations any-more :wink:

If it was a driving assessment for 7.5ton and you weren’t being paid I can’t see how it would need to be card in though and I don’t think it was that long ago that private use needed a tacho for over 7.5ton. Would seem the driver is freely disposing of their time if they’ve taken time off work to do so. In my view things like putting cards in for short driving assessments and fitters on test drives and private use is a ridiculously pointless level of bureaucracy.

Whoah! If you go for an assessment and the guy insists you put your card in, youre in a pretty bad bargaining position. I would explain about my current employer and why I wouldnt wish to compromise my present employment when theres no guarantee Ive got the new job.
After all, if you say, "look, Ill just do this without a card in mate", you can forget the job! Its a difficult one to be sure. Hopefully theyll understand and find a way round it.
A very good question though. I`d never thought of this before.

Can you not ask the assesor if you can do a print out on the tacho at the start and end of the assesment ?

Will this keep you and the vehicle’s owner legal ?
Also , it should show that you know how to fill in said paperwork

Genuine questions , I don’t know if this can be done :question:

shade:
Can you not ask the assesor if you can do a print out on the tacho at the start and end of the assesment ?

I had an assessment with Samworth Brothers last year and the assessor let me do a print out and not use my card, top bloke I thought.

bald bloke:

shade:

I had an assessment with Samworth Brothers last year and the assessor let me do a print out and not use my card, top bloke I thought.

Looks like my only option, if we agree that I misplace card… I’ll do print outs. Cheers lads

SOLUTION

Misplace digicard for the day - we all misplace things at times …

That way a manual entry can be made on a driving assessment

what happens to that manual entry … hmmmmm …

Just get on with it, if your boss asks, just say a mate needed you to move a 7.5t for him, so you banged your card in or whatever.

Start ‘misplacing’ cards, and you might as well save the fuel, because you’ve not got the job.

waynedl:
Just get on with it, if your boss asks, just say a mate needed you to move a 7.5t for him, so you banged your card in or whatever.

Start ‘misplacing’ cards, and you might as well save the fuel, because you’ve not got the job.

I like this answer

Paul

Slightly OT but a worthwhile mention…

Two of our drivers made sneaky beaky arrangements to move on to another local firm.

In spite of what the drivers think, the Management at both firms get on and always ring each other to check references.

It doesn’t say much that our man was happy for these two lads to leave and I doubt their new Gaffer will be impressed that these lads are happy to ‘jack’ without giving notice.

If any driver is as good as he/she thinks they are, why can’t they be up front if they want to move on?

W

AlexWignall:
Slightly OT but a worthwhile mention…

Two of our drivers made sneaky beaky arrangements to move on to another local firm.

In spite of what the drivers think, the Management get on at both firms get on and always ring each other to check references.

It doesn’t say much that our man was happy for these two lads to leave and I doubt their new Gaffer will be impressed that these lads are happy to ‘jack’ without giving notice.

If any driver is as good as he/she thinks they are, why can’t they be up front if they want to move on?

W

You haven’t worked for my gaffer then…

Probably not,

I can’t say I’ve really been ■■■■■■ about by an employer since I left school (I’m forty three now).

In eighteen years of haulage, I’ve only had one job I didn’t really like but I would be happy to offer them as a reference.

In fact, on the rare occasions I do move on the first thing I say to a perspective employer is “don’t take my word for it, ring these guys up…”

I don’t know your situation fella, I’m sure it can’t be good if you have to pull a sickie to do a job interview.

So good luck for the future and I hope this new lot turn out okay for you.

W