Driving Assessment

Hey all! Not been on in a long time, not been driving so not needed any help. A recent change in circumstances means I’m going back to driving but I haven’t driven an artic in 2 years and only drove for a few months then. Anyway I have a driving assessment on Tuesday and I’ve been to look at the place just so I know what to expect but the yard looks super tight. LS12 6DX is the post code, it’s the place with the white trailers parked up. Would somebody be able to advise me how to do the reverse when I get back to the yard, bare in mind my reversing won’t be brilliant. Obviously take my time and do all my obs but will I have to reverse from the road through the gates or what?

Thanks,
Matt.

Like riding a bicycle - you might be a bit wobbley to start but it will come back

We can only give general advice such as take your time and plan well ahead

If you mean around the back. There looks to be plenty of room to spin it round. If you’re not 100% ask the assessor their normal procedure as you don’t like spinning around as it knackers the tyres and gets grease on the lines.

If he says spin it around, and it looks really tight then personally I would take the lines off and use the shunt valve so you don’t risk popping a line.

Thanks for the replies.
I’m sure i’ll be fine, I think it would be bad if I wasn’t nervous about it. I went and sat down the road to have a watch, 2 wagons came back and had to do it from the road so atleast that has given me a bit of a guide. The company seemed really keen on the phone but it is the first company that hasn’t asked my age, I’m only 22 so when I get there they might just turn me away. Had my class 1 for 3 years but everywhere else I go they don’t even think about it. Oh well.

almost-truckin’:
Thanks for the replies.
I’m sure i’ll be fine, I think it would be bad if I wasn’t nervous about it. I went and sat down the road to have a watch, 2 wagons came back and had to do it from the road so atleast that has given me a bit of a guide. The company seemed really keen on the phone but it is the first company that hasn’t asked my age, I’m only 22 so when I get there they might just turn me away. Had my class 1 for 3 years but everywhere else I go they don’t even think about it. Oh well.

So how did it go then mate? I suppose you’re from Leeds LS12 init?

It didn’t go too badly actually, drive was fine but the reverse was harder than I thought. The assessor guided me through it. I’d never driven a fully automatic truck before so every time I lifted from the brake, even slightly, it shot back. You’d have thought I was on a bouncy castle. But anyway I got the job so I’m pretty chuffed with myself. I’m from Preston, I’m moving in with my girlfriend (soon to be fiance I hope) who is from Leeds. The company could not be nicer with me, I explained my situation and they seem to have gone out of their way to help me.
The only issue is, and I hope one of the more experienced guys can help me, their trailers are really old and even on my assessment I found a light that didn’t work and apparently that is the norm, I don’t want them to think I’m a complainer and get rid of me but I don’t want a fine. Any advice?
Thank you all :slight_smile:

Hiya well done on the job .
As for lights do your daily check when you hook up to your trailer if there is a bulb gone go back and get a bulb to replace the blown one, you wont be seen as a moaner it will show your doing your checks and not just hooking up and clearing off.
When you get a bulb grab a headlight bulb two for stop/tail and an indicator bulb that way if you have a bulb go you have spares in your bag can change it without having to go back in to the office every time quicker aswell.

Good luck

Jeff.