Driving Assessment.

Hi, I have a driving assessment with Warburtons tomorrow. I am currently employed elsewhere.

My question is, is there anyway I can do the assessment without using my drivers card? I don’t want my current employer to know that I have had this assessment and ofc they will know somethings up when they check my card details at the end of my next shift.

I would tell them, a reasonable assessor will use his own card or no card.

I don’t really get driving assessments until the job is offered and accepted, you have obviously got a driving licence for that vehicle, you may be nervous and unfamiliar with the vehicle.

At one company I worked for them 5 years before my first assessment, another one where the company assessor didn’t have an HGV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way around it unfortunately. If you have to download your card daily where you are at the moment, are you there through an agency? If so, don’t be too concerned what they say.
You will probably hear the same day as your driving assessment, if not then within a few days, whether you’ve been successful in getting the new job. In this case, try and go until then before you download your card, then you can tell them that you’ve got a new job and when you will be leaving [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
I would tell them, a reasonable assessor will use his own card or no card.

I don’t really get driving assessments until the job is offered and accepted, you have obviously got a driving licence for that vehicle, you may be nervous and unfamiliar with the vehicle.

At one company I worked for them 5 years before my first assessment, another one where the company assessor didn’t have an HGV

No, you have to use your own card, as it is there to record YOUR driving, just as if you were working.
And the reason for driving assessments is to see how a driver handles the vehicle. Would be pointless doing it after they start, because if you find out they’re crap after they start then you have to get rid and start the recruitment process all over again.
Just because someone has a license, doesn’t mean they’re a good driver!!

CookieMonster:
No way around it unfortunately. If you have to download your card daily where you are at the moment, are you there through an agency? If so, don’t be too concerned what they say.
You will probably hear the same day as your driving assessment, if not then within a few days, whether you’ve been successful in getting the new job. In this case, try and go until then before you download your card, then you can tell them that you’ve got a new job and when you will be leaving [emoji3]

Its not an agency, its a good job I have but the Warburtons job is better hours. I don’t want to risk losing my current job when theres no guarantee I will pass the assessment.

I saw someone say something about a manual entry, or take a printout before and after you start the assessment, gussing this is false then?

Its really annoying I have to risk my current job for a possibility of a new one.

I wonder what the situation would be if a driver TEMPORARILY LOST/MISLAID their driver card on the morning of the assessment then found it later that day :question: :question: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :smiley:

Ernie1990:

CookieMonster:

Its not an agency, its a good job I have but the Warburtons job is better hours. I don’t want to risk losing my current job when theres no guarantee I will pass the assessment.

I saw someone say something about a manual entry, or take a printout before and after you start the assessment, gussing this is false then?

Its really annoying I have to risk my current job for a possibility of a new one.

For a manual entry you would have to have your card in, so that idea is out of the window. You could claim that you’ve forgotten your card, hence the printout suggestion, but they might look negatively on you for ‘forgetting’ the only thing you really needed to have with you.
Your current employer can’t take any action against you for attending an assessment or interview. Just make sure your assessment doesn’t affect your daily/weekly rest periods

That was my point, if you go for an assessment in a morning and then have to work a night shift, that will affect the shift and rest periods.

Wheel Nut:
That was my point, if you go for an assessment in a morning and then have to work a night shift, that will affect the shift and rest periods.

As the driver it’s your responsibility to take that into account and plan accordingly. Best just to be honest with the company doing the assessment, it won’t be the first time they have had someone in this situation and they may be able to suggest alternative arrangements

Pm’d you

You can go for an interview and an employer cannot stop you. They also cannot treat you unfairly for doing so.

They most likely won’t care or even pick up on the vehicle you drive for the assessment anyway.

I fail to understand why people get so pent up over going for interviews or assessments. I’ve never not told and employer I’m looking at other jobs, if they are a decent employer and your a good employee often they will try to find ways to keep you.

If not then for both parties if you do end up leaving its usually good for both parties.

As long as you adhere to all driving and rest regs then doing an assessment is not a problem.

That’s all very well Simcor, but not everyone is as confident as you.

Someone well in with the DVLA needs to raise this issue at the highest level, as it is vocational drivers are being discriminated against in that they, almost solely, are unable to keep the standard new job application secret due to the use of the driver’s sole digi card as part of the practical driving assessment, this is especially a concern if the application is unsuccessful.

And we all know in theory the present employer is not allowed to make life difficult because someone is looking for another job, out in the real world none of this theory means diddly squat.

There should be a method where a training/assessment card is available for all driver trainers to be used for such purposes, so the driver being tested is being recorded legally but the records are kept within the potential employer’s admin dept, yet still available for DVSA officers for inspection purposes.
There could easily be some software made up so during the assessment the potential driver’s own card is downloaded so DVSA could see there were no fiddles going on.

This is in the interests of good employers as much as potential employees, there might be many decent drivers put off applying for better jobs because they know their present employer is going to find out once the card is downloaded and make their lives a misery.

Juddian:
That’s all very well Simcor, but not everyone is as confident as you.

Someone well in with the DVLA needs to raise this issue at the highest level, as it is vocational drivers are being discriminated against in that they, almost solely, are unable to keep the standard new job application secret due to the use of the driver’s sole digi card as part of the practical driving assessment, this is especially a concern if the application is unsuccessful.

And we all know in theory the present employer is not allowed to make life difficult because someone is looking for another job, out in the real world none of this theory means diddly squat.

There should be a method where a training/assessment card is available for all driver trainers to be used for such purposes, so the driver being tested is being recorded legally but the records are kept within the potential employer’s admin dept, yet still available for DVSA officers for inspection purposes.
There could easily be some software made up so during the assessment the potential driver’s own card is downloaded so DVSA could see there were no fiddles going on.

This is in the interests of good employers as much as potential employees, there might be many decent drivers put off applying for better jobs because they know their present employer is going to find out once the card is downloaded and make their lives a misery.

I have asked the question, but never received a proper answer, but surely, as you are not being paid for the assessment, and it is not being done for any commercial gain, then it falls outside of tacho requirements, much in the same way as if you hired a wagon for moving house. Maybe someone on here might be able to provide an answer

Surely they could allow you to set the tacho to ‘out of scope’ for short assessment drives? Wouldn’t that make things simpler?

blueovalcraig:
Surely they could allow you to set the tacho to ‘out of scope’ for short assessment drives? Wouldn’t that make things simpler?

That is the only solution really. As the previous poster has said; for a driving assessment you are not driving for ‘hire & reward’ - thus not working and no obligation to put in a tacho card. But as I have experienced the interviewer will expect you to put in your tacho card because they couldn’t care less.

Best bet is put the card in and hope your current employer doesn’t notice - your card only has to be read every 5 weeks so you could delay it further. Or refuse to put the card in and see what they say and let us know the outcome.

As folk have said the company should have a company card. I was surprised in my last job that the mechanic put his card in to take my truck for the MOT (he forgot to take it out and so I had to take it in to control). For maintenance there is no requirement for a tacho card to be used. Some firms use it for the timesheet but that firm use the tracker so that’s not the case.