Driving Assessment help needed

Hi guys,
I’ve got an assessment on Friday for a possible employment with a large company.
Although the job is for 7.5 tonne delivery they also have wagon and drags which I may be required to drive at sometime in the near future.
I haven’t driven since the end of November since I passed me C+E however a local driving school has offered to take me out for a few hours in a wagon and drag, I’ve never driven one of these before and how do they handle?

I asked about going out in a 7.5 tonner but he said you’ll be better off with the wagon and drag, I’m worried now because I feel I will fail the assessment if I just do the wagon and drag.
I’m really worried about reversing a rigid vehicle, know it sounds stupid but I just am.

What should I do its not too late to change what I drive I think as it tommorow afternoon.

NikNik:
Hi guys,
I’ve got an assessment on Friday for a possible employment with a large company.
Although the job is for 7.5 tonne delivery they also have wagon and drags which I may be required to drive at sometime in the near future.
I haven’t driven since the end of November since I passed me C+E however a local driving school has offered to take me out for a few hours in a wagon and drag, I’ve never driven one of these before and how do they handle?

AS you have done CE ARTIC then you will find the W&D slightly different in it’s handling but I’m not going to tell you what they are :open_mouth: :open_mouth: WHY :question: - because your local driving school instructor tomorrow will explain clearly and show you at the same time so it will make more sense :smiley: :smiley:

NikNik:
I asked about going out in a 7.5 tonner but he said you’ll be better off with the wagon and drag, I’m worried now because I feel I will fail the assessment if I just do the wagon and drag.
I’m really worried about reversing a rigid vehicle, know it sounds stupid but I just am.

What should I do its not too late to change what I drive I think as it tommorow afternoon.

Do W&D and if rigid on reverse - just think VERY BIG CAR :wink:

Thanks, I’ll give it a go and I shall tell you how I get on tommorow.

NikNik:

Treat it as a new experience - everyone has to start somewhere to get it - enjoy it :smiley:

ROG:

NikNik:

Treat it as a new experience - everyone has to start somewhere to get it - enjoy it :smiley:

Well it was interesting I must say, drove the thing out the yard like an artic but had loads of room as the trailer follows the main unit.
Completly different to the artic, the good thing is though you don’t have to straddle as much and was miles away from the kerbs on round abouts etc whereas with an artic its near the kerb.

It may have been easier to drive than an artic but the downfall is the reverse, I didn’t enjoy doing it one of those at all It was really hard.
And the couple/uncouple wasn’t an enjoyable experience, especially if there is a slight gradient and I mean slight.
It was though the bloody thing wouldn’t go in it took about 10 minutes to put right, an experience it was but if I never have to drive one again I wouldn’t miss it.

Did you get the job :question: or when will you know if you did :question:

As for the experience and enjoying it - I’ve got a PHD in “I told you so” :wink:

ROG:

As for the experience and enjoying it - I’ve got a PHD in “I told you so” :wink:

No I have the proper assessment tommorow, just I haven’t drove for 3 months.
He said I was fine on the roads, no major issues but I need to look more on roundabouts in order to prevent going down gears, stopping when I don’t need therefore not planning ahead but I shall solve this.

ROG:

NikNik:
No I have the proper assessment tommorow, just I haven’t drove for 3 months.
He said I was fine on the roads, no major issues but I need to look more on roundabouts in order to prevent going down gears, stopping when I don’t need therefore not planning ahead but I shall solve this.

Sorry I got mixed up with the training day and the assessment day :blush:

Well I passed so i should be doing a few days a week now :smiley: .

Well done on passing the assessment :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Did the training day help :question:

What did the assessment consist of :question:

Cheers, the wagon and drag assessment was good as I now know what to expect if I ever need to use one. However I think it was a stiff trailer lock and required a gentle nudges with the wagon in order for it to go down.
Is this normal or was it just a bad connection?

The assessment consisted of a drive for around about an hour but it wasn’t as hard as a DSA test however you could only get 10 minors.
It was more of a test to see if you could handle the vehicle in a safe manner and ofcourse on a variety of road conditions as it was a medium sized 7.5 tonner rather than a longer one.