Driving assessment - DHL boots

Hello all,

I’m just looking for a bit of advice really, I have been invited for a driving assessment at the dhl boots site in spennymoor, durham in the not too distant future, driving a class 2 vehicle, this is the first assessment i have done and havent had my licence long so not the most experienced, can anyone give me some hints/tips? is it just a case of driving like i did on my test?..I really want to start on this site so wan to try my best not to mess up lol

Thanks

Yep,drive like your on your test and you’ll be fine.
Also they will probably have you do a hazard perception test on a computer too.
Good luck.

*also be sure to let them know you have just passed and have not had much/any experience as they will take this into consideration for any minor mishaps and they may get overlooked to give you the benefit of the doubt.

ckm1981:
Good luck.

*also be sure to let them know you have just passed and have not had much/any experience as they will take this into consideration for any minor mishaps and they may get overlooked to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Okay thanks mate - I struggled with the hazard perception on the theory test so i best get practisiing ha

Dave_b:

ckm1981:
Good luck.

Okay thanks mate - I struggled with the hazard perception on the theory test so i best get practisiing ha

It won’t be a full one just maybe 10-20 clips,it’s what they do at our DHL site so I assume it’s across the board.

Basic rule, always do your checks, always 3 points of contact when getting in and out, and give a nice smooth drive.

the dhl assessment is one of the fairer ones, speed , safety and anticipation mainly. if its auto don’t just put foot flat to floor as they rev higher and they class it as not economical driving.

make sure you have done all checks and they normally ask you to do manual tacho entries (if you don’t know they will show you).

good luck

It may involve a test on tachograph rules and regulations, multiple choice questions.
Walk around vehicle checks.
Ask them if you are not sure of anything, as some vehicles have no oil dipsticks, to check that , some are electronic on the dashboard.

Thanks lads,

I’m not too sure on the manual entries…is that when you first put your card in at the start of a shift and theres an option to adjust times etc.?

yeah they will show you just ask them.

It might involve a “mock store delivery” on busy main road but it’s on the company premises where you have to reverse down streets between two buildings you’d question taking a transit down to the shop loading bay with members of staff walking on pavements acting as suicidal pedestrian and employee’s in their car’s pretending to be irritate car drivers. It’s to test how calm you are. :wink:

Manual entries take a bit of practice , then easy to do.
The start and end times of the shift must match up with the work record book.
For example, you are told to start work at 8 am but your truck is not returned from a night shift or still in the work shop for repairs.
You get in the truck at 9 am, you then tell the digi tacho that work started at 8 am using crossed hammers mode.
On the induction, break the ice with informal chat, ask lots of questions about pay and working conditions, pension plans, sick pay and holiday entitlement.
Have fun and relax.

Over the moon…Passed the assessment! think on the actual driving part we did around 52kms! Started off with written questions, taco questions etc. then went outside, put my card in did vehicle checks etc. went for a drive, drovejust like I did on my test…then came back in and was asked to reverse on the dock, I received s few minor points, crossing hands mirrors etc…by the way the MAN auto gearbox was awful compared to the manual I’m used to driving, I’ve since been told it should have been in “REVERSE M” For reversing onto docks etc?..anyway start there on Monday, can’t wait!

Congrats!

Jon

Well done! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Tim

Well done. I was in there for a while doing trunking and store deliveries. Its not a great job in my opinion, but some folk like it. Early starts are 01.15am !!! It wears you down quickly.
On the thick wad of paperwork they give you to sign, one of the boxes says " I confirm that Ive been trained on the use of a tail-lift" YES/NO. For TWO YEARS I crossed out the "YES" because Ive never been trained, and in that two years nobody ever said squat.
DHL paperwork and wall charts and diagrams are designed to crush your spirit and make you feel small but if you put that aside and don’t mind stupid hours and delivering drugs to pharmacies in drunken town centres on your own at 2am in the morning then this could be a good career move.