Driving asessment advice needed please

Hello dears :grimacing:

I’ve been asked to do a driving asessment for a class 1 position that I’m after and any advice would be welcome. As far as I know, it will involve coupling up to an empty 45’ trailer in the yard, running up to the docks, dropping the trailer and bringing another trailer, (possibly loaded), back to the yard.

Just for a bit of history, I was driving artic’s on general haulage and low-loaders for most of the 90’s but I left the industry in 2000. Just over 18 months ago I got divorced and subsequently moved back to Yorkshire with no job and a LOT of debt. I managed to find a few months of agency driving before I was offered a permanent job in engineering, (I’m a machine fitter by trade). After a lot of damned hard work, I’ve paid off my debts and even managed to save some money along the way, so now I want to get back into haulage.

Having a modicum of experience, I’ve no real problems with doing a “test” but I’m aware that things have changed more than a little over the years. Most of the trailers I’ve pulled were older ones with ratchet parking brakes so I admit to being a bit unsure about the correct use of modern parking brake controls. Is it likely that most drivers simply rely on disconnecting the red air line when dropping a trailer or are there still some, (like me :blush: ), who go the whole hog and “engage” the parking brakes as well?? And if so, which button on a modern trailer does what? On another matter, will I need to put a tacho card in for this test? No probs if so, and I’ve got a digi-card if required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martyn.

May I suggest a bit of ‘going back to basics’
Have a read of the CE training tips which can be accessed by clicking the link in my signature below.

threewheelsonmywagon:
‘… I’m aware that things have changed more than a little over the years …’

Some might suggest that the money’s a bit crap these days.

I did an assessment for Sainsburys and drove almost like on my test, asked the assessor if he minds if i cross my hands when turning, etc. treat it with kid gloves and you’ll be fine.

threewheelsonmywagon:
Having a modicum of experience, I’ve no real problems with doing a “test” but I’m aware that things have changed more than a little over the years. Most of the trailers I’ve pulled were older ones with ratchet parking brakes so I admit to being a bit unsure about the correct use of modern parking brake controls. Is it likely that most drivers simply rely on disconnecting the red air line when dropping a trailer or are there still some, (like me :blush: ), who go the whole hog and “engage” the parking brakes as well?? And if so, which button on a modern trailer does what? On another matter, will I need to put a tacho card in for this test? No probs if so, and I’ve got a digi-card if required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martyn.

indeed it has, 1 company i know of puts a glass (green) house in the back of the trailer not secured in anyway, your told about it before you leave on the assesment. the idea is you should be able to return to the yard after the assesment with the green house intact because your driving was so smooth etc :exclamation: :open_mouth:

As you have been out of it for a while some of these may help…

Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
£49 MEDICALS
cheap medical places around the UK

DIGI SMART CARDS

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA DRIVER REGS

RT(WTD)R regs

THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC