Driving as 2nd Job

I currently work 4 on 4 off for my main non-driving job and I am currently about to do my training. I see that it’s hard to get in anywhere as a new pass at the moment. If I was able to get in somewhere temp or casual am I able to do 1-2 shifts a week to gain experience as I would still have my 45hrs break each week between all work? I have tried to search but most threads are about working Mon-Fri.

TIA, Andy

How many hours are the four on?
It can be fine but you’d need to assess your hours each week and see what can be done driving. All you employed work would be ‘other work’ for drivers hours

Will the (part time) driving job be under EU or UK Domestic rules?

Most work will be under EU rules, so Ill assume that. If only on local work on refuse or summat then the following will not be accurate*. If in any week, any driving comes under EU rules, then all work in that week comes under EU rules, so the work in your regular job must also conform to EU rules and be correctly recorded on a tacho card or by approved methods. No 16hr shifts, or short breaks on your regular job or youre liable to be busted if you turn a wheel in that week.

So long as you get regular daily rests, correct breaks, and 45hrs weekly rest…no reason that you can`t work two jobs.
Obey the EU regs fully, and you will be OK.

Mon to Fri, or 4 on 4 off, is irrelevant. Just follow the EU rules.

Look at all the hours and breaks you do in any week you drive. Whether it is for any particular employer (permanent or temp) is irrelevant. The rules only see work/break/rest it doesn`t much care about who is paying you.

*It might not be anyway! :smiley:

Ok thanks guys. It’s 12hr shifts so could be 36 one week and 48 another, I get paid an average of 42hrs a week. I was looking at class 1 as I know a local haulier who may take on as casual (after assessment) who does mainly RDC work.

Agency driving would be your best bet, especially as it’s a rotating 4 days. The biggest issue is making sure you get your weekly rest in so to be safe make sure you’re having two consecutive days off every week.

@ndyE:
Ok thanks guys. It’s 12hr shifts so could be 36 one week and 48 another, I get paid an average of 42hrs a week. I was looking at class 1 as I know a local haulier who may take on as casual (after assessment) who does mainly RDC work.

How many hrs you are paid doesnt much matter. If you are doing 4 x 12hr shifts you shouldnt actually be working for 4 x 12hrs.
Be sure to include break periods in your regular job, and to record them. That will also keep your weekly duty time down to legal limits. A 12hr shift might get 12hrs pay, but won`t be 12hrs duty (work).

You are getting 12hrs off between shifts, so that is good. Ensure you get at least 9 hrs (reduced rest) between end of any shift and start of next and you`ll be probably OK there. Ensure you also get a clear 45hrs every week you will have no worries on weekly rest.
Shortened weekly rest is possible, but can catch some out. Doing one day per week, or maybe two if only doing 3 days on regular work, should be OK.

Yeah I’m not saying I want to a permanent 2 days a week maybe every now and then. And I am thinking agency work. I’ll always have a continual 45hrs each week. And sorry yes I get 3x25 minutes paid break each shift so all good there. Fixed hours of 6-6 also.

You could most likely work one day per week, legally. Good if you could work direct for a haulier. Most jobs are with agencies. You will need a tacho card for the truck but also keep and carry with you a diary with your other activities recorded in it. If you are stopped by DVSA they will want proof of your hours worked.

alamcculloch:
You could most likely work one day per week, legally. Good if you could work direct for a haulier. Most jobs are with agencies. You will need a tacho card for the truck but also keep and carry with you a diary with your other activities recorded in it. If you are stopped by DVSA they will want proof of your hours worked.

A diary isn`t good enough any more. All hours that fall within a week that is in scope need to be recorded either on a digi card, or a tacho disc, or a tacho roll.

"When a tachograph is not available to record data in real time, the only permitted methods for drivers to make a manual entry are to:

make a manual entry on an analogue tachograph record sheet
make a manual entry on digital printout paper
retrospectively use the manual input facility on a digital tachograph when the card is next inserted
Analogue records must show the start and end times for each period of activity, as well as the driver’s name. Digital printout paper records must include the driver’s name, driver card number or driving licence number.

The regulations do not permit any other forms of manual records, such as diaries or timesheets."
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … raph-rules

It just isn’t worthwhile anymore.

trevorking1964:

Dunno…
The OP is after getting some driving in after he gets his licence, and without committing as a new pass into a totally new job and career. Sounds a reasonable idea to me.
If you reckon that driving “aint what it used to be”, Id agree. But then again, nothing is what it used to be. :smiley: Driving isnt the freedom of the wide ope…etc etc. But it is still better than some of the current options out there.

trevorking1964:

Just after I passed my Class 1 test in January 2021, I managed to get a supermarket agency job to work every other Sunday, to comply with the weekly rest rules.

I saw it as a chance to get some experience, whilst learning on the job and working out if the job was for me.

18 months on, the fortnightly shift (when I’ve wanted it) has paid for my Class 2 an Class 1 licence a few times over, and I have now decided to quit my full time office job to drive for the supermarket 3 times a week, which should be enough to match what I was earning in the office, doing something I still really enjoy, whilst spending more time with my 2 year old son.

I’ve had to do some hoop jumping with manual entries etc., but it has definitely been worthwhile for me.

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Just feels like it’s so much hassle to do one day a fortnight, that it ain’t worth the grief.
I certainly get the ‘getting experience’ side of it though.

But in this 4 on 4 off situation he can do 2 shifts every single 4 day off. possibly even 3 driving shifts occasionally (but I would not recommend)

trevorking1964:
Just feels like it’s so much hassle to do one day a fortnight, that it ain’t worth the grief.
I certainly get the ‘getting experience’ side of it though.

Yep, it certainly does feel like it’s more hassle than it should/could be. I’m quite looking forward to only having to record driving work time and rest in the New Year!

Franglais:

alamcculloch:

A diary isn`t good enough any more. All hours that fall within a week that is in scope need to be recorded either on a digi card, or a tacho disc, or a tacho roll.

"When a tachograph is not available to record data in real time, the only permitted methods for drivers to make a manual entry are to:

retrospectively use the manual input facility on a digital tachograph when the card is next inserted
Analogue records must show the start and end times for each period of activity, as well as the driver’s name. Digital printout paper records must include the driver’s name, driver card number or driving licence number.

The regulations do not permit any other forms of manual records, such as diaries or timesheets."

There is another option, a properly formatted Attestation Letter, but this would require input from either your main employer or from the ad hoc employer
rha.uk.net/News/News-Blogs- … cleid/1502
news.rha.uk.net/2022/08/30/rha- … ntent.html

Zac_A:

Franglais:

alamcculloch:

There is another option, a properly formatted Attestation Letter, but this would require input from either your main employer or from the ad hoc employer
rha.uk.net/News/News-Blogs- … cleid/1502
news.rha.uk.net/2022/08/30/rha- … ntent.html

From your first link:
“If I drive in scope of EU rules once in the week, can I use an attestation form for the rest of the week?
No EU takes precedent, so you can only use an attestation form for any full weeks when you have not driven in scope of the EU rules.”

So, if the OP is driving one day per week under EU rules? He would need to make up his own daily records?

Every supply firm I see - seems to be advertizing “New Passes welcome”…

Perhaps you’re looking in the wrong place?

There’s even agencies who advertize the same these days…