Driving an Artic Tractor

Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity. As a wag & drag only becomes C+E when a drag is attached, and the wagon solo is a cat C. Would driving an artic tractor without a trailer attached be a cat C? For example during a positioning move for a tractor unit.

I don’t suppose a cat C driver would ever be asked to drive a tractor, but I was curious, and know one of you would know the answer… :sunglasses:

I believe a tractor unit on its own would come under the C1 licence as its under 7.5 ton. Pretty sure I “heard” though that VOSA can be a bit finkery with this though as its really easy for you to hook up a trailer.

Just as easy to hook up a drag

SiAmon:
Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity. As a wag & drag only becomes C+E when a drag is attached, and the wagon solo is a cat C. Would driving an artic tractor without a trailer attached be a cat C? For example during a positioning move for a tractor unit.

I don’t suppose a cat C driver would ever be asked to drive a tractor, but I was curious, and know one of you would know the answer… :sunglasses:

A solo tractor unit is a category C vehicle. It has a GVW (this is the important bit - ignore the unladen weight- it has no significance) of over 7.5 tonnes - therefore requires a category C licence to drive it.
If you attach it to a trailer then it becomes a category C + E combination,which requires a C + E license to drive.
It really is that simple. Your company,as the one I work for does,may not wish rigid drivers to drive solo tractor units,but there is no legal reason not to.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had a feeling that would be the case, but knew someone here would actually know. For some reason my wife thinks I’m sad, due to the time I spend ‘wondering’… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My missus thinks I am sad, full stop. Don’t sweat it pal.

Take off the fifth wheel coupling and you can drive it on a car licence (like Chrith Eubank does)
And EVERYBODY tells me I’m sad :sunglasses:

The Sarge:
Take off the fifth wheel coupling and you can drive it on a car licence (like Chrith Eubank does)

No you can’t.

You haven’t been able to do that since 1st January 1997. That was when the driving license was changed to comply with the European Union standard. This did away with the ,so called,"incomplete vehicle ",which is what you are referring to.

m_attt:
Just as easy to hook up a drag

Only if you have airlines and the pin, every artic has a 5th wheel.

eagerbeaver:
My missus thinks I am sad, full stop. Don’t sweat it pal.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Skippy70:

The Sarge:

No you can’t.

You haven’t been able to do that since 1st January 1997. That was when the driving license was changed to comply with the European Union standard. This did away with the ,so called,"incomplete vehicle ",which is what you are referring to.

Can’t be bothered looking it up, but pretty sure you’re wrong on that one. I’m sure somebody will post a link to the facts - and someone else will argue :wink:

Chrith Eubank has an HGV licence anyway.

Roymondo:
Chrith Eubank has an HGV licence anyway.

Are you taking the Pith ?

No - but I would have been had I called it a HGV lithenthe :wink:

SiAmon:

As mentioned in this linked topic, it’s one of the commonest questions on TN, so here’s the answer…

:arrow_right: Can I Drive a Solo Unit on a C Licence? - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

This confusion can come about from some of the ‘old boys’ who passed when the rules were under the old HGV class system

Under the old HGV system an artic or artic unit could only be driven by a driver with a HGV class 1 licence but the unit could be driven by other HGV drivers if the unit had the fifth wheel removed which made it a non artic unit

From the early 90s when the old HGV was kicked out and the new LGV was brought in the rules changed

Roymondo:
No - but I would have been had I called it a HGV lithenthe :wink:

I wonder if he’s got his Drivers TheePThee ?

You lot are not making any thenth.

Thod thith. I’m off for thothages and math for thupper…

The Sarge:
Thod thith. I’m off for thothages and math for thupper…

Thilly Thothage. [emoji1]

Why don’t you have thome thoup for thtarterth & a nice pint of Thider. [emoji481]