Driving Abroad

Hi guys,

I recently passed my class 1 in 2011 and now its 2012 still without a job. i cant get a job because of the no experiance rule that seems to be the downfall of every new trucker starting out in the uk. im looking into getting a job in Oz, but dont really know even where to begin.

1. can i do like a trail period to see if i enjoy driving on the other side of the world?
  2. do i have to sit a diffrent test to drive over there?
  3. is Oz the best place to go?
  4. do i contact employers in Oz to see if they will give me a job?

Im just sick of the Uk and all their petty rules and regs on drivers, i could be the best driver in the contry (metaphorically speaking) but they wont even give me a trial to see if im any good, Its a joke!!

So if you could give me advice on how to do it or if its possible then i would be very very thankfull. its somthing that is very appealling to me!!

Nick

You can’t get a visa for Ozzie as a trucker.
New Zealand it’s possible.
But I reckon any employer will also want an experienced driver over there too.
How old are you? If you under 30 there’s working holiday visa for backpackers then you can work at any job including trucking. But I think in oz you have to retake driving test for c+e

im 22, just need a chage i think lol, is their any other companies in other contrys that take on young drivers with not much experience?

Hi Necronick.There are jobs about everywhere but it’s as much about luck and being in the right place at the right time.If you think to go abroad, remember you are competing with the locals so you are already at a disadvantage re language,local knowledge,etc.It can be easier to get a job for a foreign company if you go and bang on the door and show your face.With your lack of experience the only thing you can offer is a willingness to learn and enthusiasm.
Have you the possibility maybe to go with someone for a time as a sort of second driver[ok you don’t earn anything but you see how it works,plus you see companies on the road and meet drivers.]
Up here we have a lot of drivers fresh out of school,girls and guys.
Companies up here in the north aren’t so fussy about age so long as you can do the work.The language comes later.Good luckMike

bakerchris:
You can’t get a visa for Ozzie as a trucker.
New Zealand it’s possible.
But I reckon any employer will also want an experienced driver over there too.
How old are you? If you under 30 there’s working holiday visa for backpackers then you can work at any job including trucking. But I think in oz you have to retake driving test for c+e

Over here In Oz, all they will do is exchange your licence for a cat C which is the Car licence in Australia …If you have had your Cat C over a year they will let you go straight for a Cat HC our C+E you will have to exchange the UK licence for a Aus car as said but as you will be a temp Visitor you have to wait 6 months to do this … then you sit a Knowledge test get the CBA book and then do 8 hours training get assessed by and approved assessor trainer get him to fill out your CBA book take it back to a RTA office and you have your licence you do not have to sit a test in Aus … It will cost you about $900 dollars £600 pounds

try getting on with a good agency first and get some experiance under your belt a lot of companies dont like taking people on that are under 25 because of the insurance

yeah i think ill try and get a job in the uk for experience first, just need to wait i guess.

So say i have like 5 years exp, where in OZ would be the best to go, I fancy doing the road trains. but i know i need a special licence

Thanks for all the replys and advice,

Nick

necronick7:
yeah i think ill try and get a job in the uk for experience first, just need to wait i guess.

So say i have like 5 years exp, where in OZ would be the best to go, I fancy doing the road trains. but i know i need a special licence

Thanks for all the replys and advice,

Nick

I wouldnt have a clue where to start with Oz I’m afraid but wish you all the best