Driving a road sweeper

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone has driven an 18T road sweeper for a living. There is a job come up in my area and wondered if anyone can tell me what the job is like. Cheers

I used to drive one in a quarry many years back (Bedford KM if I remember right) bloody slow and dusty back then but steady enough, keep the gear clean and make sure there’s oil in the donkey engine :blush: :blush: , go for it, good luck. :slight_smile:

brados:
I used to drive one in a quarry many years back (Bedford KM if I remember right) bloody slow and dusty back then but steady enough, keep the gear clean and make sure there’s oil in the donkey engine :blush: :blush: , go for it, good luck. :slight_smile:

Cheers Brados. I’m very tempted. Doing multi drop round london at the moment so I want something easier and less stressful. Sounds like it could be just that!!

Hi drvr3 I drive a sweeper from time to time , if you want steady youve got it ! tickover in first gear steady.Usually LHD some dual ctrl , mixture of regulars, quarries etc and one offs. You will be on by the hour on most jobs with a minimum sometimes you can get away with one hours work, get signed for 3 if your lucky. V boring though. Find out what they paying.

JFC999:
Hi drvr3 I drive a sweeper from time to time , if you want steady youve got it ! tickover in first gear steady.Usually LHD some dual ctrl , mixture of regulars, quarries etc and one offs. You will be on by the hour on most jobs with a minimum sometimes you can get away with one hours work, get signed for 3 if your lucky. V boring though. Find out what they paying.

not if your with a planning gang , with the black top gang waiting to start :laughing:

I go on building site all the time (I’m in plant hire) and I see sweeper drivers’ getting plenty of sleep. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driv3r:

brados:

Cheers Brados. I’m very tempted. Doing multi drop round london at the moment so I want something easier and less stressful. Sounds like it could be just that!!

boredtodeath!.png

Lol, stressful it is not - well it wasn’t until I had to explain how the engine had seized on the vacuum, luckily the fitter was a mate who said that the oil pump had failed - phew, he still ribs me about that today!

i drove one for a plant hire firm for a week, went round and round a new build building site for nine hour’s a day, nearly rang the samaritan’s by friday. NEVER EVER AGAIN

Driv3r:

If you’re multi-dropping, you need to empty it :laughing: I take it you mean multi-sweep? :laughing: