Driving a minibus on HGV licence with no fare payers

Can someone carify something for me…

I got a HGV Licence on C and C+E plus the Car - passed in 2000.

Just got myself a nice tidy Merc 611d Minibus with 16 seats in.

Can someone tell me what steps I need to do to make sure I am legal to drive this during the stages I am converted it into a camper for personal use - during the conversion is it a minibus without its seats or is it a Private HGV? (as rear doors can swing right open for a pallet to be placed inside If I wished.)

If its a PHGV then I am okay, if its a Minibus then I would need a Cat D1 with 101 on my licence ? then I get to hear that I wouldn’t need that Cat D1 as there will be no people inside and no fare paying / for hire or rewards…

Yet under DVLA speical rules I can drive a mini bus upto 3.5 tons on my car licence (or 4.25 tons if it has a lift) - trouble is, its got a lift, but plated at 5tons on the plate in the front)

Can’t seem to find the answer to this on internet at all, anyone know?

Mick

If the vehicle weighs under 3.5 tonnes then it does not come under LGV

If the vehicle has less than 9 seats in total then it does not come under PCV

If you are only using the vehicle for private use and it is over 3.5 tonnes or 9 seats then you need a C1 or D1 respectively in order to drive it

If you are converting it from one thing to another then DVLA need to be informed and a new V5 will be issued

You could also have it downplated from 5 tonnes to 3.5 tonnes if you so wished

I am not sure how to downplate but I would imagine that your local VOSA should be able to assist you

Does any of that help?

ROG:
If you are only using the vehicle for private use and it is over 3.5 tonnes or 9 seats then you need a C1 or D1 respectively in order to drive it

Its the drive home to get the works started is buggering me… insurance company advise to remove all of the seats from their fixtures so therefore it becomes a 5t van with minibus windows in it under campervan conversion policy. Still on the licence front, surely I don’t need C1 as I got C and C&E?

leo.saphira:

ROG:

Its the drive home to get the works started is buggering me… insurance company advise to remove all of the seats from their fixtures so therefore it becomes a 5t van with minibus windows in it under campervan conversion policy. Still on the licence front, surely I don’t need C1 as I got C and C&E?

C1 is a subcategory of C so you are covered

From what I gather (not fact) is that the vehicle must HAVE more than 9 seats in total at the time of driving it to be a D1 so removing the seats (easy to do) would make it into a C1 of 5 tonnes
OR
It could be that removing the seats still has it classed as a D1 on the paperwork in which case removing them would make no difference

I would call DVLA on 01792 782 341 and see what they advise or if you want it in writing -
emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildv … _1_14.html

Thanks Rog, have emailed DVLA about this - there is a few things that need sorting (indicators) before it even goes on the road as its 1/2 mile away from the VOSA station (sods law will mean its open when I decide to bring it home)

leo.saphira:
then I get to hear that I wouldn’t need that Cat D1 as there will be no people inside and no fare paying / for hire or rewards…

A common misconception normally applied to coaches when people want to drive them on their LGV licence.

Confirmed from the DVLA:

I can confirm that you will be eligible to drive the 5 ton minibus with the seats removed providing your class C and CE remains valid.

Sorted :smiley:

leo.saphira:
Confirmed from the DVLA:

I can confirm that you will be eligible to drive the 5 ton minibus with the seats removed providing your class C and CE remains valid.

I wonder why they think you need your C and CE to remain valid to drive it? Surely the CE is irrelevant?

Paul

repton:

leo.saphira:
Confirmed from the DVLA:

I wonder why they think you need your C and CE to remain valid to drive it? Surely the CE is irrelevant?

Paul

I thought that too, but its what they said (even though cat c covers it nicely) still printed it off just in case I get pulled during her conversion.

I imagine simply not being paid or carrying fare paying passengers does it. After all it allows fitters to drive a service bus with “Not in Service” on the busblind. Doesnt it?

What about this bit from Direct Gov? That must mean I can drive it then?

Driving licence held before 1 January 1997

If you had entitlement to drive cars before 1 January 1997 you can drive a minibus provided it has a maximum of 17 seats including the driver’s seat and is not being used for hire or reward. Your minibus entitlement will remain valid in the United Kingdom until your licence is next renewed.

DVLA cannot give legal advice on how vehicles are classified but, generally speaking it depends on the weight of the vehicle or the number of passengers it can carry.

repton:

I suppose it’s because the CE won’t expire indepentently of the C so to all intents and purposes it’s the same thing.