Driving a lgv while on insulin

any body on here who drives an lgv while taking insulin .i know the rules have changed and you can drive lgv once dvla have been shown 3months recorded levels that are in safe boundaries making you fit to drive.

don’t know about insulin, but the dvla let me drive on buprenorphine (a type of morphine) and olanzapine (a heavy duty tranquilizer) so it would seem that the medical rules are being relaxed.

Read this month’s Truck & Driver, mate. :wink:

any lgv driver on this site had problems with the dvla at swansea tryng to get there licence back as i seem to be banging my head against a brick wall as i am now insulin dependant sent two lots of forms back to them and still no joy.any body who has had to go through this i could do with a bit of help cos im not giving up without a fight.spoke to some drivers its dragged rm down and they have given up trying to get there licence back.not me its in me blood.

Having had another HGV go into the back of me and cause a serious accident due to a combination of cruise control/motorway/diabetic coma, the sooner that diabetics are completely banned from holding vocational entitlements, the better.

Judehamish:
Having had another HGV go into the back of me and cause a serious accident due to a combination of cruise control/motorway/diabetic coma, the sooner that diabetics are completely banned from holding vocational entitlements, the better.

I think the appropriate phrase here is “If you have not got anything positive to say, then don’t say anything.”
What a vitriolic post.

Judehamish:

lol! :unamused: most adults in this country WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW if they were type 2 diabetics! Not exactly slim are we! :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

zip929:

Judehamish:

I think the appropriate phrase here is “If you have not got anything positive to say, then don’t say anything.”
What a vitriolic post.

Where is the vitriol?

The DVLA deem him unfit to drive HGV’s and he’s fighting it. Would you like him driving behind your family?

Fatboy slimslow:

Judehamish:

lol! :unamused: most adults in this country WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW if they were type 2 diabetics! Not exactly slim are we! :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

The man that injured me was in his late sixties on medication.

jbaz73:
don’t know about insulin, but the dvla let me drive on buprenorphine (a type of morphine) and olanzapine (a heavy duty tranquilizer) so it would seem that the medical rules are being relaxed.

The rules haven’t been relaxed that much, I lost ALL my licences including car licence because I’m on Fentynal which is a Morphine Patch. 26 years driving gone in the stroke of a pen. Even the DVLA doc agreed it was harsh but as he said rules are rules and he had to abide by them. There are worse drugs out there and you can keep your licence while on them.

What do you want to know. I am type 1 insulin dependant and have my licence back.
Pretty straightforward, quick and painless really. Start back driving soon casualy at a chilled/frozen crowd in Yorkshire. No need to leave my current job.

Too judehamish. I won’t call u names but I think u are wrong. I am more healthier now than ever and to blanket ban all of us is again wrong. How do u no u will not fall ill right now and career into someone. Heart attach. Stroke. Quick and unsuspecting.

1 Like

Fatboy slimslow:

Good point well made. I got some test strips from the chemist a while ago and did a pee test as I seemed to be drinking an awful lot. Turns out I just like drinking pop. Fortunately I weened myself off the full fat sugar stuff and onto Coke Zero type stuff quite some time ago.

rocketsquadron:
What do you want to know. I am type 1 insulin dependant and have my licence back.
Pretty straightforward, quick and painless really. Start back driving soon casualy at a chilled/frozen crowd in Yorkshire. No need to leave my current job.

Too judehamish. I won’t call u names but I think u are wrong. I am more healthier now than ever and to blanket ban all of us is again wrong. How do u no u will not fall ill right now and career into someone. Heart attach. Stroke. Quick and unsuspecting.

Most diabetics take meds to reduce chances of heart attack and stroke.
The driver who ignores the odd chest pain and is not diabetic is more of a worry, and more likely to have that heart attack.

1 Like

im diabetic type 2 on insulin i have to check my blood every 2 hours, i am probaby safer than you judehamish.

The rules are effectively the same for cars or trucks.
Two hypos in a year you’re walking or cycling.
I’ve told them no insulin I’ll take my chances.

“Bus, coach or lorry licence
You must tell DVLA if your diabetes is treated by tablets or non-insulin injections.”

" Diabetes treated by diet
Car or motorbike licence
You do not need to tell DVLA.
Read leaflet INF188/2 for more information about driving with diabetes that’s treated by changes in diet.
Bus, coach or lorry licence
You do not need to tell DVLA."