Driving a horse box

quick question?
if someone drives a hgv all week and then has a horse box over 7.5t will he still have to have a tacko in and will it come off his driving hours.
reason i ask, is my neice has a horse and at the mo my bro-in-law has a landy and trailer but he wants a horse box now he works all week driving a hgv and im sure antything over 3.5 must have a tacko fitted and if he had a 7.5t horse box when he used it at the weekend he would need a card in, he dosn’t think it will have one as its not for hire or reward–whos right as a case of bud is riding on this :smiley:

cheers

steve

steveg1804:
quick question?
if someone drives a hgv all week and then has a horse box over 7.5t will he still have to have a tacko in and will it come off his driving hours.

if its plated over 7.5t then he will need a card in and it will come off his driving time

steveg1804:
reason i ask, is my neice has a horse and at the mo my bro-in-law has a landy and trailer but he wants a horse box now he works all week driving a hgv and im sure antything over 3.5 must have a tacko fitted and if he had a 7.5t horse box when he used it at the weekend he would need a card in, he dosn’t think it will have one as its not for hire or reward–whos right as a case of bud is riding on this :smiley:

cheers

steve

7.5t and below he can use it for personal use , BUT there was something floating about about people who used horseboxes for taking their horses to competions being classed as using it for hire and reward as there was prize money involved. Your best bet is pming geebee45 on here for clarification as he works for vosa, but personally Macro is your best bet for buying him his Bud :wink:

scottie0011:

steveg1804:
quick question?

if its plated over 7.5t then he will need a card in and it will come off his driving time

steveg1804:

cheers

steve

7.5t and below he can use it for personal use , BUT there was something floating about about people who used horseboxes for taking their horses to competions being classed as using it for hire and reward as there was prize money involved. Your best bet is pming geebee45 on here for clarification as he works for vosa, but personally Macro is your best bet for buying him his Bud :wink:

geebee also writes in Horse and Hound and understands horses and horsey people

Hire and reward are out dated terms and are not used in the regulations these days so are not relevant when deciding if something is legal or not.

The guy will need to use a tacho driving the horse box and it will impact his weekly rest periods and go toward his weekly and fortnightly driving totals.

answered here

and here

that assuming it is under 7.5t and no pay involved?

scottie0011:
:

When did that change Coffee?

Conor:
When did that change Coffee?

11th April 2007

Hiya yes he needs a techo in the horse box…at one time it was going to be any vehicle over 3.5 ton
needed a techo. this was not passed as it would affect the motorhome sales…
when i go to rallies with my truck the vosa lads pull you in to see if your a driver in the week and
not having your weekly rest because of driving the show lorry…we all say no of course.
John