Driving a hgv later in the day after an assessment?

hi,
can any one enlighten me on what the current rules say about taking a driving assessment with a digi tacho but then later on that day starting work? This must be an issue because how can you do if when the the asssessment starts your 15 hour day also starts. How can any one have an assessment with this starting the working day.

What time was your assessment ?
What time will you be starting work ?

If your assessment ends 3 hours before your work starts then you can take a reduced daily rest,do your 15 then take your other 9 hours before next days work begins. I think.
If im wrong,no doubt someone will correct me (or just tell me its ■■■■■■■■) and give you the right answer. And ill have learned something too. :laughing:

The previous daily rest ends when the assessment starts

Do assessment from 0800 to 0900 then start job at 1200 means finishing at 2300 latest as 3+9 off = regular daily rest

Do assessment from 0800 to 0900 then start job at 1100 means finishing at 2300 latest if got reduced available or 2100 latest if need regular daily rest

chris1967:
hi,
can any one enlighten me on what the current rules say about taking a driving assessment with a digi tacho but then later on that day starting work? This must be an issue because how can you do if when the the asssessment starts your 15 hour day also starts. How can any one have an assessment with this starting the working day.

Treat the assessment as normal driving work so the same rules apply ie:

You have to have had a 9 or 11hr daily rest before starting the assessment and you cannot finish your normal job any later than 13 or 15hrs after the start of the assessment unless the assessment can be fitted in a 13 or 15hr spreadover from when you started the day before.

Hmmm… isn’t an assessment (roughly) the same as an examination? If so, vehicles being used for an unpaid examination (or instruction) are tacho exempt. Otherwise, it’s out of scope :wink:

Chris1207:
Hmmm… isn’t an assessment (roughly) the same as an examination? If so, vehicles being used for an unpaid examination (or instruction) are tacho exempt. Otherwise, it’s out of scope :wink:

If it were a lesson then yes but I would of thought that since you are working then it counts under EU regs.

Radar19:
I would of thought that since you are working then it counts under EU regs.

Indeed, but are you working if you don’t have the job yet?

if it was tacho exempt,they would`nt ask you to put a tacho in.

Chris1207:

Radar19:
I would of thought that since you are working then it counts under EU regs.

Indeed, but are you working if you don’t have the job yet?

I supose that would be down to interpretation. I would class it as working.

Slap some L plates on it and crack on.

The regs are for goods carrying vehicles and an assessment done in an empty vehicle even one over 7.5 tonnes GVW is not deemed as being under the regs so there is an argument to be had

mrginge:

That would only work for licence acquisition and the driver already has the it

Chris1207:

Here’s the exact wording and an assessment is outside of the rules so a tacho must be used.

Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination
with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate
of professional competence, provided that they are
not being used for the commercial carriage of goods or
passengers.

ROG:

mrginge:

That would only work for licence acquisition and the driver already has the it

But it limits the chance of being pulled over :wink: