Driving 8 wheel tippers

I have a driving assessment in a 8 wheel tipper ( I have only ever driven a 4 wheeler or a 6 wheeler with rear wheel steer)

What tips are there for the way they handle and steer

Iv been told it could be a Hino aswell. whats different about these and how they drive (gearbox etc.)

Thanks

I’ve never driven a Hino but I’ll give you the benefit of my experience on 8 wheel tippers if you like.

They tend to cut through fairly well on turning, so it’s best to take things plenty wide enough, better too wide than not wide enough.

You wont turn an 8 wheeler round in the same space you will a 6 obviously.

Watch for tail swing as depending on the overhang of the body it takes a bit of getting used to but ought not to be too different to a rear tag axle on a 6.

If you’re empty they can be quite light on the backend, think about pulling away on hills, slippery surfaces etc, and if you need diff lock or cross locks then be sure to be completely stopped and remember to turn it off again.

Keep in mind the second steer (you’ll get twice as many kicks through the steering) therefore while off road keep your thumbs (and fingers) out of the spokes on the steering wheel.

I rely heavily on the exhauster and tend not to use the service brakes at all unless coming to a complete stop. This isn’t specific to 8 wheelers just as a rule.

Have you drive tippers before?

If not there’s several decent threads on here with tips on tippers.

I except there are plenty more knowledgeable folk on yer to follow this up with loads more information.

God luck with the assessment and don’t worry too much.

logic:
I have a driving assessment in a 8 wheel tipper ( I have only ever driven a 4 wheeler or a 6 wheeler with rear wheel steer)

Iv been told it could be a Hino aswell. whats different about these and how they drive (gearbox etc.)

Thanks

if its the hino your doing your assesment in the gearchange is truly awful!! give yourself plenty of time when going from low to high range and vice versa-its a slap across range change.and it will probably be quite stiff as its cable change aswell.other than that the hino’s are easy enough to drive,hope you havent got long legs though!!
they steer and handle fine and have very good brakes,but the indicator will be on the right hand stalk,and the hazards on left hand stalk where the headlight flash would be on a european motor!! good luck

andrew.s:

logic:

Thanks

if its the hino your doing your assesment in the gearchange is truly awful!! give yourself plenty of time when going from low to high range and vice versa-its a slap across range change.and it will probably be quite stiff as its cable change aswell.other than that the hino’s are easy enough to drive,hope you havent got long legs though!!
they steer and handle fine and have very good brakes,but the indicator will be on the right hand stalk,and the hazards on left hand stalk where the headlight flash would be on a european motor!! good luck

Is this still the case as I thought all vehicles had been standardised since the late 00s

Tipper Tom:

andrew.s:

logic:

Thanks

Is this still the case as I thought all vehicles had been standardised since the late 00s

the one i’m currently lumbered with is a 60 plate so three years old? and it has right hand stalk indicators.awful lorry.