Drivin with night interior light on [red one, is it legal?]

I try my best not to attract attention and was wondering if it is OK to be driving with the interior night light on [the red lamp, not the white ones] without getting pulled over, or, is this an offence now…?

thanks in advance…

If it was, then there’d be some pretty irate coach passengers up and down our motorways each night. :unamused:

After all, without the interior light on, how would I be able see where I was pouring my coffee whilst I was driving. :wink:

Unless it could be argued that ‘reflections’ inhibited your view out of the windscreen/windows, I can’t see (no pun intended :laughing: ) a problem.

tnx Krankee, i was having problems reading my paper without it, lol, just kidding

Some one much older than me will remind me why Suttons of St Helens and Heatons trunkers had to drive with the interior light on at night.

An old guy from Heatons told me that they did this.

My understanding, from a legal perspective, was that no red light should show to the front.

I recall many years ago in York a new fleet of buses were introduced. They did away with traditional numbers and replaced the routes with colour i.e. the blue line used to be the number 7 bus to Chapelfields (not a good place!).

A bus on the red line was pulled one evening and although the driver didn’t get ‘done’, the bus company had to change the illuminated destination board in the front.

marcustandy:
My understanding, from a legal perspective, was that no red light should show to the front.

I recall many years ago in York a new fleet of buses were introduced. They did away with traditional numbers and replaced the routes with colour i.e. the blue line used to be the number 7 bus to Chapelfields (not a good place!).

A bus on the red line was pulled one evening and although the driver didn’t get ‘done’, the bus company had to change the illuminated destination board in the front.

That is correct, Volvos and I suspect other trucks are equipped with a switch to turn off the illuminated headboard, In my case my headboard was red with white writing so at night you could see the red from a long distance. It is certainly compulsory in Germany.

But I think the original post meant the interior lamps that are more commonly fitted in trucks. Avoid the blue ones though :smiley:

marcustandy:

I think the thing with these cab lights is the fact you aren’t actually showing the red light to the front. the one in the Daf for instance is mounted up in the roof headlining and while driving the light itself cannot be seen from the front, the red glow can be seen but not the actual light. These are manufacturer fitted and if it was a problem legal wise they would not be fitted, or would be removed, for the UK market.

Coffeeholic:
the red glow can be seen but not the actual light.

Hence the ‘cab fashion’ some years ago to fit a red fog light inside the cab, pointing at the back wall. No actual red light showing to the front but plenty of red glow!! :laughing: :laughing:

Our Merc Actros night driving interior lights are green!

Isn’t the idea that these dim lights are supposed to reduce eye strain when night driving?

Why would you want a red light on? unless of course you were looking for ‘business’ :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:
Why would you want a red light on? unless of course you were looking for ‘business’ :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

Or blue, as the case may be. :smiley:

I think there is some argument/evidence that a ‘red’ ambient light does not degrade one’s Night Vision. I think it is something to do with the frequency. Thinking back, when developing films in a darkroom, we used a red light to see what we were doing. And thinking back further, to all of those old War movies featuring submarines, didn’t they also go to ‘red’ lighting whenever ‘Battle Stations’ was sounded. :question: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Except when it was in black and white. :unamused: :unamused:
:laughing:

The answer to your question as I was told some years ago by an a mechanic whose father worked for Suttons was that when the M6 / M1 opened old man Sutton used to make his drivers drive with the light on in the cab so they could be seen from “Spotting Points” en route to their changeovers and they could be seen to be “not using the m/ways” as they were routed on the old roads only under threat of dismissal for not complying with co. rules i.e. no using the m/ways!

Their night trunkers up till the early 70,s were paid “Trip Money” for night trunk and if you turned back from a trip for any reason such as bad weather etc. you didn,t get paid (so this driver said)!

I don,t think I am as old as you “wheelnut” :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: