drivers

sapper:
Is it me? or are we harbouring a breed of driver that cannot reverse on a bay anymore. I was delivering to Lidle in Enfield this morning and trying to get to the chill bays round the other side from the ambient and the amount of drivers trying to reverse on these ambient bays, was, to be honest shocking for a so called professional driver. Some of these guys were taking 5 and 6 cuts to line up on the white lines, and they were all brit trucks, so it’s not as if I could blame the EE drivers. Don’t they teach reversing at the training schools now.

Sapper

What a ■■■■■■

I was one of those drivers this morning. i was one of the lucky ones but it is very difficult to reverse in between two trailers there with out catching the nsf corner on the high kerb. Its just a tricky place thats all

Well as you know Sapper,around the back in chill there’s loads of room to back on the bay unless Rob puts you on 53 or 52 which is a blindside reverse but you get better at it the more you do it. Now around the front on ambient is a different kettle of cats…when those bays are full,you take a look at how much room there is between the high kerb in front and the front of the tractors on the bay,bugger all my friend.
(A tip for you…go down the road outside of the ambient and you wont get caught up).
See you Monday in the queue at 6am…Say ello to the Dales driver…

redbob:

sapper:
Is it me? or are we harbouring a breed of driver that cannot reverse on a bay anymore. I was delivering to Lidle in Enfield this morning and trying to get to the chill bays round the other side from the ambient and the amount of drivers trying to reverse on these ambient bays, was, to be honest shocking for a so called professional driver. Some of these guys were taking 5 and 6 cuts to line up on the white lines, and they were all brit trucks, so it’s not as if I could blame the EE drivers. Don’t they teach reversing at the training schools now.

Sapper

What a ■■■■■■

Agree 100%

BTW, I’m real ■■■■■ at reversing, late last year I was having one of ‘those days’ and my Daughter, who was in Hospital, was watching me (GPS Tracking on my phone, gives her something to do) on Google, she texted me and asked why I was making patterns in the big Car Park. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: Errrr I wasn’t, I was trying to reverse between two white lines, :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had a collection at CULLINA in Stafford last week, and that is a very busy place and very tight to get on a bay but i did manage it somehow. Even the drivers that work there think its a zb of a place for manouvering. Anyone else been there ?

[quote="newmercmanI’ve been known to have the odd bad day here and there, we all get day’s like that, they most often happen when there’s a crowd of drivers around too :blush:, [/quote]
Ah yes.
Ones ability to ■■■■ up is directly proportional to the amount of people warching :wink: :wink:

I suppose your perfect and reverse in first time every time.

sapper:
‘… Don’t they teach reversing at the training schools now…?’

My daddy didn’t send me off for the best education because in my reality - not the driving ‘Eton’ or ‘Harrow’ that you apparently condescended to board at, I was eventually ‘taught’ at not inconsiderable financial, emotional, spent holiday & lost wage cost to sweatily lurch through a test pass after two dismal failures.

Then I begun to learn about reversing - and am still at it.

Have a heart, mate:

a. Who on this planet leaves his pit to foul-up on purpose? And…

b. What has any charity or British government done to improve matters for wage-slave wheelmen?

We all have bad days sometimes I even have to try it twice or thrice but I put the longer period it takes to crack reversing down to power steering.Now as the older drivers will confirm,before we had power steering reversing was hard work it could and would bring a tear to your eye so it was necessary to get it right first time you just didn’t have the energy to try it twice so you learnt quick.But anybody looks as if they are struggling nothing wrong with getting out and offering a bit of help,do it all the time.

sapper:

Sapper

What i noticed first when i came to UK first Time in 1981 that British Drivers parked very close to another,like Dover,then most other Countries.
it changed dramatically over the Years.
The comfortable British drivers got replaced by harassing immigrants who push like Camikazy,go Roundabouts the wrong Way around to overtake slower Traffic,pull out in front of Traffic as they know you would brake.
Well,yes. and Professional Drivers got replaced by newbies,often by Agencies who use them to get majority with cheaper Rate at DC. For that they get easier Work and longer Hour to show experianced Driver how much you are better on if you drive a Quit cheaper,the hour.

I passed my test last August and recently I thought the reversing was coming to together whilst on agency. But now I’ve got a regular supermarket job, it’s all gone to ■■■■. I usually make a fair fist of getting into the stores but when I get back to the yard (which is half the size of Northants) the trailer never seems to go where I want it to :blush: . Maybe I need something to aim to miss :smiley:, or maybe it’s after driving nothing but normal length tri’s since my test I’m getting confused by the mixed fleet of tri and twin axle’s of slightly different lengths (and don’t get me started on the 10m rear steer I drove for the first time the other day… :blush: ).

But, hey ho, it’s all good practice, I get paid by the hour and I haven’t hit anything. :smiley: :unamused:

I was taught only a ■■■■ don’t take a shunt. It’s nice when you get it right first time but it’s more important to do it right without any damage.
Despite the arogance of the post I’m impressed everyone freely admits to regulary cocking it up or maybe on trucknet we’re all a set of useless tossers :slight_smile:

Mr B:
I was taught only a [zb] don’t take a shunt. It’s nice when you get it right first time but it’s more important to do it right without any damage.
Despite the arogance of the post I’m impressed everyone freely admits to regulary cocking it up or maybe on trucknet we’re all a set of useless tossers :slight_smile:

Without us incompetent people, the superior people would have nothing to brag about.

If he thinks some of us are bad then he should observe some car drivers efforts when parking.

roadrunner:
Slightly digressing, while on my break at lunchtime, i watched a very eye catching mint condition german plated actros " A " frame draw bar , slalom reverse , perfectly into a very tight spot in one hit i was extremely impressed with that i must say, having read what a mare they are to reverse.

but dont the germans have to pass in an A frame wag and drag and also reverse it round a corner for their test?

gotta be impressed with A frame drivers though when reversing, i usually sit and watch (then realise im crap at reversing, like last night… :unamused: )

Reversing a handy hint…Seems some on this site find reversing an artic difficult well we all did.One prob seems to be drivers cutting in too quick so my handy hint is a marker.Stand in front of the loading bay probably a vehicle either side to fit between,then come out about 15 feet and drop on the ground a piece of paper/■■■ packet or a bit of wood now if your rearmost trailer wheels run over that item you should be in line for the bay.Try it,if it works for you tell the next person you see struggling to try it,I do.

Biscuits:
‘…the trailer never seems to go where I want it to…’

It took me a while to fathom about which point the wheels will be the centre of the ‘pivot’ when reversing the trailer: In other words which bit of rubber amongst the twin or tri axle wheels I should aim to ‘take the line’. Before that it was a vague hit-or-miss carry-on with (much) shunting until I (eventually?) got close to being there!

I picked up through some muttered source that it’s the middle wheel on a tri and the space between the two for a twin axle.

Either way, I’ve also learned:

a. Try to avoid having one’s tongue sticking out: It only marks one as a plum and causes chapped lips in winter.

b. That if you’re gonna ‘assess’ another dude’s reversing when he’s at it, don’t get caught gawping and keep one’s conclusion to oneself.

c. That It’s a bit like ■■■■■■■■: We all have to do it but it isn’t necessarily something that we’re always proud of - although I don’t doubt that exemptions amongst some may apply!

re Eastleigh, yes that’s the one, most of the time we used to go down with 3/4 of us and all your so called mates would push up when you went to reverse in stopping you so you had to almost jack knife blind in, no turning round listening to jeers and curses, they were the days, worst one in bought brekkie.
Your dad may even have been involved Buzzard boy.
As I have said before, at Basildon Tractor, not allowed to shunt if you did, you definately bought breakfast :blush:

Halewood they definately put a slight offset into the bay, you actually reversed inside the building in a sunken bay you had about 6 inches either side and it was not straight.
hang on I had better swap sites I am dipping into old timers website
Cheers