drivers

bigvern1:
So what? It could take 50 attempts. They weren’t hurting anyone were they?

thank god for fuel cards and tyresevices :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

Darb:

commonrail:

sapper:
Sorry if I made it sound as if I was perfect, I’m not, it’s just that some of the manoeuvers were really over the top, we all have bad days, but at least four were holding everyone up from getting by, I suppose that made them more nervous and frustrated and we all know what that can do. Anyway, quite a lot of you bit for that one.

Sapper

oh i see just a wind up,for a minute i thought you was some kind of ■■■■■ trumpet :laughing:

I wonder if it would have been a “wind up” if the general opinion was in his favour :unamused:

Course not, it’s the standard internet forum get out when a thread doesn’t go the way the OP wants, they claim it was a wind up all along. And this OP has a history of this sort of thing. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I was going to post the same thing myself. These less than perfect drivers could have been on their first day out in an articulated vehicle, yet driven thousands of miles on a C+E rigid and trailer.

I thought you had a cushy number delivering cabins in the sun, why you worrying about other drivers unless you are helping them?

I always have problems.
I park my lorry on the bay, go to the waiting room and 5 mins later i have some numpty telling me to turn my lorry around as they cant get at the pallets with a cab in the way.

might have been brit trucks but the way the job is now they may not necceseraly be brit driver’s.

I never critise another driver who is struggling to reverse. I still remember my first “real” reverse, got helped by a friendly (yes there are a few) shunter. I may well sit and curse under my breath if hes holding me up, but If i think someone needs help I will offer it. I helped a dutch driver reversing on his blind side between stacks of pallets, a fence and gate posts the other day, and i would hope he would do the same if i needed help in holland
After over 30 years driving artics, I still have bad days, yesterday i had to blind side between 2 trailers with just enough room to straighten the cab out, did it first time, and a passing driver actually took time to stop and compliment me on how easy i made it look, another time i can have the choice of 10 bays, all free, an area the size of heathrow to turn in, and still ■■■■ it up!

truckerjon:
After over 30 years driving artics, I still have bad days, yesterday i had to blind side between 2 trailers with just enough room to straighten the cab out, did it first time, and a passing driver actually took time to stop and compliment me on how easy i made it look, another time i can have the choice of 10 bays, all free, an area the size of heathrow to turn in, and still ■■■■ it up!

Ain’t that the truth :stuck_out_tongue:

I had to go out to another driver one day as his unit had a hissy fit. He had a 10m rear steer trailer which I was used to anyway so no big issue. We got to his next drop which was a little bit tricky and I stuck it on the bay in one. He was well impressed! And I did tell him that was the 1 in 10 reverse that goes in first time!

Sometimes it seems like the more room I have the more I end up faffing about… :unamused: :grimacing:

sapper:
Sorry if I made it sound as if I was perfect, I’m not, it’s just that some of the manoeuvers were really over the top, we all have bad days, but at least four were holding everyone up from getting by, I suppose that made them more nervous and frustrated and we all know what that can do. Anyway, quite a lot of you bit for that one.

Sapper

I’ve tipped here a few times and the problem is if all the bays are occupied and other wagons are parked in front of the bays,the room to manoeuvre is not possible in an Artic!! Very tight and drivers queing to hand in p/work after parking right outside the goods in office!! As anyone who has tipped in Netto or Lidl will tell you! Unless there are parking bays provided,wagons get abandoned in the yard just to get p/work handed in to get a bay!!

I;ve always said, a good reverse is one that gets the trailer where you want it, without hitting anything regardless of shunts! :smiley:

Slightly digressing, while on my break at lunchtime, i watched a very eye catching mint condition german plated actros " A " frame draw bar , slalom reverse , perfectly into a very tight spot in one hit i was extremely impressed with that i must say, having read what a mare they are to reverse.

What annoys me is when someone is reversing, another driver has to get past them. The typical ignorant breed of driver that seem to think they are superior.

Wheel Nut:

truckerjon:

Ain’t that the truth :stuck_out_tongue:

+1

It’s like that old trucking song, Give Me 40 Acres and I’ll Really [zb] It Up.

I regularly make a pigs ear of reversing in the yard, safe in the knowledge that I will never be asked to go shunting which is number 2 on the list of things to be avoided.

The trick is not to try and get it on in one, it’s to get it on without hitting anything. When I was 21 I could put them anywhere fast forward 22 years and my reversing mojo is going the way of my beer drinking and clutch wheelie skills, not as good as they were. No rush though I’m paid by the hour. :smiley: :smiley:

roadrunner:
Slightly digressing, while on my break at lunchtime, i watched a very eye catching mint condition german plated actros " A " frame draw bar , slalom reverse , perfectly into a very tight spot in one hit i was extremely impressed with that i must say, having read what a mare they are to reverse.

They take a bit of getting used to, but they ain’t as bad as you’ve read.
I started reversing paired trailers when I was 13 years old though, so I might have a slight advantage over most British drivers. :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

bubsy06:
I always have problems.
I park my lorry on the bay, go to the waiting room and 5 mins later i have some numpty telling me to turn my lorry around as they cant get at the pallets with a cab in the way.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have this perrinial problem when reversing… Give me painted lines on the floor and loads of room, i’ll take 10 shunts and still be miles off, hell theres a picture on here somewhere where i couldnt drive straight between 2 lines, let alone reverse! But give me something to aim for that i can cause damage to and i’ll get it in first time… This is where the problem lies tho, after seeing me make a hash of an empty space, no one will let me reverse in betwene 2 trucks! :laughing: :laughing:

Just reverse quickly and look casual and id you get it wrong just say you are having a bad day, remember those Ford bays at Southampton, Dagenham and best of all Halewood they offset them purposely I am sure.
But to be honest after a monthg eveyone should be reversing like a dream, its only 1 x trailer after all, try reversing a super link. LOL :unamused:

JLS Driver SOS:
Just reverse quickly and look casual and id you get it wrong just say you are having a bad day, remember those Ford bays at Southampton, Dagenham and best of all Halewood they offset them purposely I am sure.
But to be honest after a monthg eveyone should be reversing like a dream, its only 1 x trailer after all, try reversing a super link. LOL :unamused:

That Ford bay at Eastleigh, was that the one that was a complete 180 degree blind side into the loading door with the empty stillages stacked either side??

commonrail:
for a minute i thought you was some kind of ■■■■■ trumpet :laughing:

Never heard that before,PMSL!!! im having that on my signature! :smiley:

JLS Driver SOS:

Those bays are still in use at the old Ford Halewood site well they were when it was jaguar, They could be a pain, i bet even worse for johnny foreigner in a left ■■■■■■, When i was doing work for an agency on for NYK, I also can remember the Ford plant in dagenham too,
i got the hang of em, as i was in there tipping most days , i found it easy after several months, but even so i still didn’t always get on the bay in one shunt lol, tiredness plays a big part i think,