Drivers with replacement hips

faced with one of these hip replacement procedures within the next five years max, two years minimum - trying to hold off as long as I can - does anyone know of any older drivers working on after a hip replacement? I’m in me mid-fifties and could turn myself to other things if forced for the ■■■ end of my working life but modern HGV’s are a pleasure to drive and the right kind of work is easy enough if you’re lucky to find it.

My current number is fairly cushy and I’d like to keep it. The Doc says I’d need about four months off but it would be good to know others had gone back to work when the convalescin’ was over. Be good to re-assure the guv’nor of an eventual return too.

Can’t comment on the driving side, but a pal from my offshore days got his done. He was in a bad way before the op. a lot of pain and limping badly. As well as work related wear and tear he’d played county standard badminton into his 50’s.
He’s in good form now, no pain and very mobile. still working offshore as a technician which involves a lot of stair climbing. He’s a keen walker too and tells me the difference since the op is like night and day. The technique they used with him was to ‘re-spray’ the joint lining with some new material.
Good luck.

One of our drivers in his mid 50s had a new hip last year and hes back driving with no probs. He only limps now when the boss is about :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was at k&n today where i’m based & a foreign driver in an artic drove in. Didn’t think anything of it untill he jumped out with only 1 leg!!! :open_mouth: I was gobsmacked

tyler4164:
I was at k&n today where i’m based & a foreign driver in an artic drove in. Didn’t think anything of it untill he jumped out with only 1 leg!!! :open_mouth: I was gobsmacked

A few years ago there was another subby at the same place I worked, a guy called Roy, who only had one leg. He had lost it in an RTA and had got his licence back afterwards. On the longer ferry crossings he used to take his false leg off before going to bed and leave it lying in the middle of the floor, didn’t half used to give a fright to the crew when they came round knocking you up as you approached port. They would knock then throw the door open, at which point all they would see in the light spilling in from the corridor was someone’s leg on the floor. :smiley: There was also another guy I worked with, can’t remember his real name as he always went by the nickname of Apple, who only had one arm, he had lost his left arm and had a false one. He could strip a tilt better then most guys with two arms.

I already have a THR (complete ceramic replacement) I had it done when I was 41 and never had a days worry or pain since. I was up and climbing stairs within 2 days and back at work in 3 weeks.

Like the advert, I can now ride a motorbike, swim and play the piano :stuck_out_tongue:

Robbies dad knows a lad who lost a leg in an accident too and Tommy Varley had both hips done and was soon back at work.

Hip Replacement is more common than false teeth

…for the replies. I’m going to stave it off as long as the p/k’s still work and things don’t get unbearable.

Cheers

articfox:
…for the replies. I’m going to stave it off as long as the p/k’s still work and things don’t get unbearable.

Cheers

From experience, I wouldnt put up with it one second longer than neccessary.

I was born with Legg Calve Perthes and wore a steel caliper with a 3inch built up boot just to get around. I had to ride a fixed wheel tricycle and had many times I could not get out of bed in a morning.

I was always going to be a lorry driver from being about 6 years old, so I persevered. When I had the operation it was like having a great weight lifted from my body.