Drivers who cant use main beam correctly

I cant be asked to use it as it is just a chore to turn it on and off every 2 seconds, i manage to see the road with just dipped beam, but 99% of drivers must have it on at every opportunity, I followed a car driver who kept it on when right behind other vehicles but flicked it off when a vehicle approached him :laughing: :unamused:

I use it, when the need arises, mostly single carriageway A roads when there is no other vehicle in the field of view.

Thats one of the joys of driving a wrecker. Main beam behing? Rear working lights ON! No more main beam behind. :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:
Thats one of the joys of driving a wrecker. Main beam behing? Rear working lights ON! No more main beam behind. :smiley:

Lol most of the log units have the working lights on the roof of the cab except ours, if you know the road then there is no reason why you need to have main beam on.

Its no a laughing matter it can lead to chinky eye :laughing:

hope that isnae seen as racist

bubsy06:
Lol most of the log units have the working lights on the roof of the cab except ours, if you know the road then there is no reason why you need to have main beam on.

Yes, you may know the road, but what if this time there happened to be some children playing on it? A ā€œSo-called professional driverā€ would think about the children. :wink:

I use main beam when itā€™s appropriate and to be honest I donā€™t see it as a chore :slight_smile:

What Iā€™ve notice lately is more and more car drivers driving on motorways with the lights on full beam, I donā€™t know if itā€™s a new fad or just that Iā€™ve been in the wrong place at the wrong time but theyā€™re a damned nuisance :unamused:

Even more crazy is people who have headlights and fog lights on but still have to use main beam :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: WTF, A trip to Specsavers is needed in this instance.

It annoys me so much over here in the good old US of A ā€¦ these idiots dont give a damm about who they blind, they drive along a highway behind someone with their full beam on and ignore all the brake lights being flashed at them, or they drive towards you with their high beams on and couldnā€™t care how many flash high beams at them in anger, even the cops ignore them but thate because the cops are idiots too.
Driving north on 22A in Vermont one night as I came to the town of Vergennes which has a 25mph speed limit, as I climbed the hill a car followed me with itā€™s high beams on and dazzled me, I tapped the brakes a few times to let him know he was dazzling me and he then switched on his flashing red & blue lights, it was a town cop.
ā€œWhy were you flashing your brake lamps ?ā€ he asked.
ā€œBecause your main beams are on and dazzling meā€
ā€œYou canā€™t see those, you have no interior mirrorā€ the dumb young kid saidā€™
I explained that door mirrors work just the same and it really hurts my eyes.
ā€œThats not the reason I stopped you anyway, you were doing 35 in a 25 limitā€
ā€œNo I wasnā€™t, I was doing 23-24 mph and can prove it, this truck is tracked by GPS and everything is recorded by computer at head office, I will come to court and bring the recordsā€
He scowled and said donā€™t do it again, then went back to his car.

Harry Monk:

bubsy06:

Yes, you may know the road, but what if this time there happened to be some children playing on it? A ā€œSo-called professional driverā€ would think about the children. :wink:

I aint a profiteroll driver, plus I can see perfectly well with just the normal headlights.

Iā€™m more concerned about the increasing number of numpties driving around with only one headlight, particularly if the faulty light is the offside one.
In one trip of only twenty five minutes the other night I counted nineteen offenders.

bubsy06:
I aint a profiteroll driver, plus I can see perfectly well with just the normal headlights.

Main beam is the normal headlight position, you dip them when there is a danger of them dazzling another road user.

The words ā€œmainā€ and ā€œdippedā€ are the clues here. :wink:

I was following a dried up, crusty old wench down a winding single carriageway road the other night. She kept putting her main beam on everytime she approached a corner, just a flash to look at the corner and then off again. It was like she was scared to have them on for more than a second incase they set the car on fire.

Pat Hasler:
It annoys me so much over here in the good old US of A ā€¦ these idiots dont give a damm about who they blind, they drive along a highway behind someone with their full beam on and ignore all the brake lights being flashed at them, or they drive towards you with their high beams on and couldnā€™t care how many flash high beams at them in anger, even the cops ignore them but thate because the cops are idiots too.
Driving north on 22A in Vermont one night as I came to the town of Vergennes which has a 25mph speed limit, as I climbed the hill a car followed me with itā€™s high beams on and dazzled me, I tapped the brakes a few times to let him know he was dazzling me and he then switched on his flashing red & blue lights, it was a town cop.
ā€œWhy were you flashing your brake lamps ?ā€ he asked.
ā€œBecause your main beams are on and dazzling meā€
ā€œYou canā€™t see those, you have no interior mirrorā€ the dumb young kid saidā€™
I explained that door mirrors work just the same and it really hurts my eyes.
ā€œThats not the reason I stopped you anyway, you were doing 35 in a 25 limitā€
ā€œNo I wasnā€™t, I was doing 23-24 mph and can prove it, this truck is tracked by GPS and everything is recorded by computer at head office, I will come to court and bring the recordsā€
He scowled and said donā€™t do it again, then went back to his car.

Police are dicks everywhere :imp:

Harry Monk:

bubsy06:

Main beam is the normal headlight position, you dip them when there is a danger of them dazzling another road user.

The words ā€œmainā€ and ā€œdippedā€ are the clues here. :wink:

Yeh main is bright and dipped is less bright
bitingpoint.co.uk/show-tell-main-beam
Main beam shows a blue light in my truck and car

It does annoy me when you see an oncoming car waiting til the last minute to switch to dipped beam, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because some new cars have lights that dip automatically when sensing oncoming lights, and might take a few seconds longer to react, but as soon as I see lights approaching I switch mine down so it canā€™t be that hard.

Sometimes I wish I had a few rows of spotlights to blast em with :smiling_imp:

Grayham:
Sometimes I wish I had a few rows of spotlights to blast em with :smiling_imp:

A shotgun would be better.

Personally I like to see as far in front as possible and unless your lights are high then itā€™s main beam for me.
Take the other night for instance coming down the A519 from the M6 to Telford,following a wagon doing 30 mph on dip.Now I know itā€™s narrow in places and it gets tight but this geezer was doing it everywhere.A bit of main beam and he could have seen what was coming up.

ShropsBri:
Personally I like to see as far in front as possible and unless your lights are high then itā€™s main beam for me.
Take the other night for instance coming down the A519 from the M6 to Telford,following a wagon doing 30 mph on dip.Now I know itā€™s narrow in places and it gets tight but this geezer was doing it everywhere.A bit of main beam and he could have seen what was coming up.

I have followed trucks doing 30mph in daylight with clear skys :laughing:
Have you thought about an eye test?

bubsy06:
Yeh main is bright and dipped is less bright

It has very little to do with luminosity, a typical headlight bulb will use 60w for the main beam element and 55w for the dipped beam element so there is very little difference there. It is more to do with the aim of the headlight, on main beam the light will be directed straight ahead, on dipped beam the light will be directed downwards and to the left.