Drivers spread and hour's help

Hi I have just started tramping class 1. I work on a 5 on 3 off basis.so if I start on a Thursday does my spread over go from sunday to Saturday night or is it from when my shift starts? on the Thursday. This being that my last driving day was sunday and I had monday,Tuesday and Wednesday off. My t ransport company told me that your spread over and driving week starts from your shift.
Thanks
kevin

Kevin6690:
Hi I have just started tramping class 1. I work on a 5 on 3 off basis.so if I start on a Thursday does my spread over go from sunday to Saturday night or is it from when my shift starts? on the Thursday. This being that my last driving day was sunday and I had monday,Tuesday and Wednesday off. My t ransport company told me that your spread over and driving week starts from your shift.
Thanks
kevin

Welcome to Trucknet-UK Kevin :wink:

There is no such thing as spread-over in the regulations but it’s often referred to as being the time from the start of a shift to the end of the same shift, you seem to be using to describe the working week but if you use it that way it’s going to cause confusion.

Weekly and fortnightly driving time is calculated for a fixed week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday), and fortnightly driving time is any two consecutive fixed weeks.

You can do a maximum of 56 hours driving in a fixed week and 90 hours driving time in any two consecutive fixed weeks.

You must have a weekly rest period that fits into each fixed week.

A weekly rest period that crosses two consecutive weeks (Sunday/Monday) can count for either week but not both.

Your TM should know this stuff :imp:

• Daily driving time = the total driving time between two daily rest periods or between a weekly rest period and a daily rest period.
  • Weekly driving time = the total driving time in a fixed week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday).
  • Fortnightly driving time = the total driving time in any two consecutive fixed weeks.
  • Working week = The time between two weekly rest periods.

The Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs may be of help to you :wink:

If there’s anything else you’re unsure of feel free to ask :wink:

Kevin6690:
Thanks
kevin

There is no such thing as spreadover

The regs are all to do with required rest periods and in this case we are referring to weekly rest periods from what I can see in your post

You can have a maximum of 144 hours between weekly rest periods
A weekly rest period is any period of 24+ hours off (unless reduced to less than 24 because it was used partly as payback but that’s another issue)

A fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

In each fixed week (known as week) there must be a weekly rest used for it and to be used for it the weekly rest must be at least 1 minute in that week

A weekly rest can only be used once and if it includes sunday midnight it can be used for the week before or the week after

That could read as thought the weekly rest should be contained within the fixed week and although I know you did not mean that it could be read that way IMO …

ROG:

That could read as thought the weekly rest should be contained within the fixed week and although I know you did not mean that it could be read that way IMO …

I know that’s why I put underneath the bit about a weekly rest period crossing over two weeks.

“A weekly rest period for each week” may have been a better choice of words but I’ve only just thought of them :blush: :laughing:

Hi to both thank you very much for your replays so quick,I have loads more questions .
Thanks for now.

On looking at weekly rest a driver must show at least once instance of regular ( min 45 hours) weekly rest in each fixed week. This can be reduced to at least once instance of a minimum of 24 hours in a fixed week but you can’t reduce in back to back fixed weeks.

This reduction must be paid back though.

Rl_4_me:
On looking at weekly rest a driver must show at least once instance of regular ( min 45 hours) weekly rest in each fixed week. This can be reduced to at least once instance of a minimum of 24 hours in a fixed week but you can’t reduce in back to back fixed weeks.

This reduction must be paid back though.

You can show two reduced weekly rests in two fixed weeks but one will not be used for a fixed week

Simple Example =

Holiday for a week and use the last 45 hours of that for the regular weekly rest for week 1 because the holiday ends at least 1 minute (6 hours in this case) in week 1

week 1 starts mon 0600
work for next 5 days and finish sat 1800
sun off = reduced weekly rest = option for week 2 below

week 2 starts mon 0600
work for next 5 days and finish sat 1800
sun off = reduced weekly rest = option for week 2 above

week 3 starts mon 0600
work for next 4 days and finish fri 1800
sat & sun off = regular weekly rest for week 3

weeks 1 and 3 both have regular weekly rests

week 2 has the choice of 2 reduced weekly rests but only one needs to be used for week 2 and the other does not so any hours over the 24 can be used for payback and it does not need compensating for

As all the weekly rests include sunday midnight then they can be used for the week ending or the week starting

Looking at it seems from first glance that two weekly rests have been done in a row and seems illegal but its not

Hi Rog
I wonder if you could help me again please just so it’s correct in my head.
I started 21.00 Sunday evening, I had a 3hr split rest at 0300 to 0600 I finished my shift at 11.30 am. My shift was a 15hr but the split made it a 13hr shift. Do I take off 9hrs or 11 hrs. So can I restart at 20.30 or 22.30, I had 2 infringements last month for not correct rest period I know if you work 13 then you take off 11 and if its 15 then you take off 9 ,please help with your wisdom.
Thanks kevin

Kevin6690:
Hi Rog
I wonder if you could help me again please just so it’s correct in my head.
I started 21.00 Sunday evening, I had a 3hr split rest at 0300 to 0600 I finished my shift at 11.30 am. My shift was a 15hr but the split made it a 13hr shift. Do I take off 9hrs or 11 hrs. So can I restart at 20.30 or 22.30, I had 2 infringements last month for not correct rest period I know if you work 13 then you take off 11 and if its 15 then you take off 9 ,please help with your wisdom.
Thanks kevin

Start 2100
Rest 0300 to 0600 = 3 hours
Finish 1130
Rest 1130 to 2030 = 9 hours
Earliest restart = 2030
Regular split daily rest recorded 3+9

Thank you for the quick reply just wanted to be sure,if I was to take more than three split rests in a week it would not appear as an infringement would it,I was sure I correct with my rest periods last month but unsure why I had the infringements for incorrect rest periods I know all my breaks were correct, I don’t need to do a print out for a split rest at end of shift do I?
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin6690:
Thank you for the quick reply just wanted to be sure,if I was to take more than three split rests in a week it would not appear as an infringement would it,I was sure I correct with my rest periods last month but unsure why I had the infringements for incorrect rest periods I know all my breaks were correct, I don’t need to do a print out for a split rest at end of shift do I?
Thanks
Kevin

As long as you have three consecutive hours rest during the shift you can have as many split daily rest periods as you can fit into a working week.

No printouts are legally required for spilt daily rest periods.

If you’re unsure why you get infringements you should ask before signing them, the whole purpose of infringements is to educate you about what you’re doing wrong, the infringement sheet should explain exactly what the infringement is for.