Drivers sleeping in laybys

I just went down the A14 ,every layby full of overnight trucks,some of them parked badly ,partly on the grass verge or even poking out into the running lane slightly.
Was Rothwell truckstop full?
No,I had a quick glance and plenty of space and its not as if the overnight parking is coming from our pockets,in theory at least.After all the campaigning for better driver facilities,the facilities arent used.Me,I wouldnt take the job if it meant sleeping in laybys,arent we worth more than that,what do you think…

Sploom:
I just went down the A14 ,every layby full of overnight trucks,some of them parked badly ,partly on the grass verge or even poking out into the running lane slightly.
Was Rothwell truckstop full?
No,I had a quick glance and plenty of space and its not as if the overnight parking is coming from our pockets,in theory at least.After all the campaigning for better driver facilities,the facilities arent used.Me,I wouldnt take the job if it meant sleeping in laybys,arent we worth more than that,what do you think…

There are still a lot of hauliers that refuse to park their wagons in services at night due to cost. Its used to be the first question I asked when I went for a job somewhere as it gives a very good indication of what their attitude towards drivers are.

A lay-by will offer the same security as most MSA’s and truck stops, but without the cost.

Mmm,you might be stastically right,but to be honest,I would have trouble even falling asleep in there,the slightest noise would wake me up.In the truckstop,I would feel more secure,even if its a false sense of security.I mean,really,in a layby,you are a sitting duck to what could happen

SWEDISH BLUE:
A lay-by will offer the same security as most MSA’s and truck stops, but without the cost.

“Suicidal” laybys that have your arse sticking out into the road - won’t save you if someone rams up it, and gets killed.

“parking in lane one and being on your bunk asleep” at the moment of impact - doesn’t get you off a CD60 neither.

Think how expensive a UK truck stop is for a cheapskate EE outfit that pays you <900 euros a month to spend 170 hour fortnights in your truck coming over to blighty… For you a decent layby is saving you a good 10% plus of your wages - every time you get one as a “prize”…!

I spent most nights in truck stops. MSA’s were a “necessary evil” but a lay by was desperation. Did not do very many .

ok i know its slightly off topic but this link
kentlive.news/news/kent-new … sh-2043365 that Winseer annoyed me.

The truck was parked legaly fully in the layby the four charcaters that were killed had driven from london to dover been drinking and smoking canabis drove back and drive into the layby at speed yet the lorry driver is arrested when he was asleep on his bunk.

What the hell was he supposed to do. There is one services on that stretch of the a2 coming up from dover with no truck parking you have to park on the slip road. The next one isnt untill medway which apparently is too far to make with the ferry rules

I prefer laybys for a decent night’s kip.
As long as it’s not right on the road.
Noisy buggers in msa’s keep me awake all night, bloody dangerous the next day after hardly any sleep.
Had to use msa on the odd occasion and it’s not for me.
Our loads are mainly steel, so if they can carry it, they’re welcome to it.
I have saved a good network of decent off road laybys and the odd industrial estate that are good parking and tend to aim for somewhere I’m familiar with every night.

Yes, agree with Trevorking. Laybys and used before industrial estates for me. Rarely had a good nights sleep in truck parks or services as I’m a light sleeper.

cooper1203:
There is one services on that stretch of the a2 coming up from dover with no truck parking you have to park on the slip road. The next one isnt untill medway which apparently is too far to make with the ferry rules

Truck park in Dover, (when not full up) parking and truck stop on M2.
And “ferry rules” are a red-herring. If you cant legally park when you get a boat, you dont get on the boat.
(and Dover boats,train have no driver bunks)

Winseer:
Think how expensive a UK truck stop is for a cheapskate EE outfit that pays you

Some EE companies have contract parking so the drivers pay nothing.
Some are good, some are bad.

Think how expensive a truck stop is for a cheapskate UK outfit that doesn`t pay for parking. And they do exist.

A laybye or industrial estate has no wash or toilet facilities. This is a basic human need that should be provided by your employer through the provision of parking the lorry at truckstop or services.
If you the driver has a boss that offers to pay for parking but you instead chooses a laybye then that is up to you, but if a boss forces you to park in one then he is a tight fisted ■■■■■

It did make me wonder last time I stopped at Rugby truckstop, there were a good number of culina / stobarts in laybys with curtains pulled on the A5 within 5 miles of ‘their’(?) truckstop.

From the owners point of view paying for parking.
Yes it’s maybe an expense then can claim back as expenses.
But these days at £30 a time some places such as j26 m25 Charing £ 55 £60 a night.
Over a week it’s easily £200 a week extra on there bill. Per driver of have lot drivers easily run into the thousands per week
For what ?services don’t offer any liability of your broken onto when parked up.

Personally I’d prefer park places a know within walking distance of local shops pub etc

njl:
It did make me wonder last time I stopped at Rugby truckstop, there were a good number of culina / stobarts in laybys with curtains pulled on the A5 within 5 miles of ‘their’(?) truckstop.

Because if they park in their truckstop the drivers don’t get paid a night out. Food and facilities are provided.

toonsy:

njl:

Because if they park in their truckstop the drivers don’t get paid a night out. Food and facilities are provided.

I don’t get that? Surely the employers know where the trucks are all the time these days?

toonsy:

njl:

I`m surprised.

That a Rugby depot driver doesn`t get n/o money when in Rugby is quite right.
But a ?Leeds? driver:
So they get free food: breakfast and evening meal, and non-alcoholic drinks when in Rugby?

Franglais:

cooper1203:
There is one services on that stretch of the a2 coming up from dover with no truck parking you have to park on the slip road. The next one isnt untill medway which apparently is too far to make with the ferry rules

And “ferry rules” are a red-herring. If you cant legally park when you get a boat, you dont get on the boat.

Winseer:

Think how expensive a truck stop is for a cheapskate UK outfit that doesn`t pay for parking. And they do exist.

could be wrong and i guess i am as you have said there is no sleeping facilities on the train but i thought all the drivers stayed with thier vehicles car drivers included. However i would like to know where the truck park is on the a2 haveing regularly driven the length of it from dover to vauxhall bridge im buggered if i can think where you mean

cooper1203:
ould be wrong and i guess i am as you have said there is no sleeping facilities on the train but i thought all the drivers stayed with thier vehicles car drivers included. However i would like to know where the truck park is on the a2 haveing regularly driven the length of it from dover to vauxhall bridge im buggered if i can think where you mean

I said “M2”.
If a driver needs to find a parking area, they should be able to find one. Ill agree that there arent enough of them, but if there isnt one on the road youre on, just adjust the steering wheel a bit.

Drivers on the train travel in a passenger coach (aka the stinky express)
(edit and it only takes 45 mins anyway, although the shunting waiting can take minutes or many hours)

And I repeat that if you dont have time to park after getting off train/boat, you dont get on it.
Very inconvenient etc etc but such is the way it goes.

cooper1203:

Franglais:

cooper1203:

Winseer:

could be wrong and i guess i am as you have said there is no sleeping facilities on the train but i thought all the drivers stayed with thier vehicles car drivers included. However i would like to know where the truck park is on the a2 haveing regularly driven the length of it from dover to vauxhall bridge im buggered if i can think where you mean

Passenger (whether car or coach) stay with vehicles.

Freight transport drivers get picked up by a bus and transported to a carriage for drivers for the duration before getting shuttled back to their vehicles again at the other end.

Franglais:

toonsy:

njl:

I`m surprised.

That a Rugby depot driver doesn`t get n/o money when in Rugby is quite right.
But a ?Leeds? driver:
So they get free food: breakfast and evening meal, and non-alcoholic drinks when in Rugby?

I believe so. Being from these parts I’ve often wondered why all the laybys around me are (or were) full of them when they had the truckstop available and that was the answer I got when I asked the question to a few drivers I bumped into.

Remember it’s called night out money but actually it’s for sustenance. If that sustenance is provided free of charge…

Wondering how that filters into their “equivalent hourly rates” where the hourly rate is made to look higher because of all the allowances and sustenance payments being hoyed in…