Drivers & Planners

Let me start off by immediately stating that no, I’m not a driver and that I have only been inside a lorry twice in my life, and that is the entire reason behind this topic.
I’m 24 years old and have been in the transport sector since I’ve been 18th. I’ve always been active in the sales side of the business and that’s what I’ve been doing, however, I had come to the conclusion that I prefer a more hands-on role instead of what I’m currently doing.

I’ve been offered a position at a domestic haulier as a transport planner. They run approximately 30 lorries on a daily basis. With this role, I obviously have to interact with all the drivers on a daily basis and this is the root of my question.

I have never directly dealt with drivers and now the drivers will become the most important part of my daily routine and in a way, I will be a (big) part of their working day too. I’ve got massive respect for those who are on the road every day but I ask to know from you, how can I make the day of a driver better? What ‘makes’ a good planner apart from making a good route?

Thanks,

-T

i’d suggest you post it in the main forum to get more responses.

Go out and do the job BY THE BOOK
Understand the regulations and don’t plan drivers work to max hours

Have my coffee ready in the morning, all the checks on the wagon done, started up & running with the heater on (about 21’ will do) check the load & strap as necessary, plan my route before about 07.30 or after 09.00 & not between 15.00 & 18.00 in the afternoon, keep me on distance as far away from the yard as possible & bring choccy biscuits in every day.

Oh, & be a Nice Blond ■■■ Goddess, so we’ve got something Nice to look at. [emoji6]

Yep, I’d suggest you go out with a driver for a few days to experience what it’s like…

As for tips, I’d say it probably depends what type of work your planning for. If it’s class 2 multi-drop involving some tail lift drops, the driver doesn’t want to be asked to make a collection early in their round, as this load is likely to be in the way all day! :imp:
The driver also doesn’t want to be harassed on when they are going to get to their 11th drop, when they’ve only just done their 2nd, as the answer to that is “How long is a piece of string…” The driver probably hasn’t a clue what’s going to happen in between. Some days you can go a regular drop and be in and out in 10 mins, yet other days, it may take an hour or more to do that same drop…

As an ex driver, now planner…drivers will fall roughly into 2 types…those who get on with the job, take pride in what they do and you will rarely hear them complain. Or, those who will ■■■■■ and moan about anything and everything…who will work hardest in trying to do as little as possible and need to be spoon fed everything like a petulant child.

The quicker you identify who is which type the easier your life will be!

And when the first type do complain, it’s worth listening to because chances are they are right and you might learn something or avoid a ■■■■ up!

You are perfectly entitled to plan drivers to their full hours…but use a bit of common sense about and leave a margin of error! If you’re not sure, talk to your good drivers…they generally have a wealth of knowledge for you to tap into.

Don’t expect drivers to break the law to get you or the company out of the ■■■■…especially if it’s poor planning that’s caused it. Learn from the mistakes.

It’s interesting that you have segregated drivers from the rest of the human race,drivers are humans too you know.

xichrisxi:
drivers are humans too you know.

WHAT!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: When did this happen■■? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

MrGodSquad:

xichrisxi:
drivers are humans too you know.

WHAT!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: When did this happen■■? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

That’s debatable with some

xichrisxi:
It’s interesting that you have segregated drivers from the rest of the human race,drivers are humans too you know.

Segregated as a profession…not a race!

:unamused:

My experience with planners, is that they aren’t really bothered whether you are a happy driver or not.

They ■■■■ off home at 6pm regardless.

eagerbeaver:
My experience with planners, is that they aren’t really bothered whether you are a happy driver or not.

They ■■■■ off home at 6pm regardless.

It’s a bonus if you’re happy, not an essential requirement! :wink:

Obviously it’s good to have happy drivers but sometimes you have to ask them to do things they’re not going to be happy about…

The best transport manager/planner I worked for had never been in a truck, but he knew his job inside out and back to front. He could run 30 plus trucks and remembered if you’d asked him for an early finish on Friday.
But he was a hard SOB, didn’t take any nonsense. As far he was concerned his job was to find loads for your truck and your job was to deliver them, he knew there are problems on the road and at collection and delivery points, but he can’t read your mind and isn’t there to see whats going on, so if you were having problem that was going to impact on the plan he expected to be informed, if you did that he would normally solve the problem or re-plan, if you didn’t well than that your problem to deal with and when it goes wrong its up to you to take the bollocking, as a quick phone call could have taken that responsibility off your shoulders.

DonutUK:
As an ex driver, now planner…drivers will fall roughly into 2 types…those who get on with the job, take pride in what they do and you will rarely hear them complain. Or, those who will ■■■■■ and moan about anything and everything…who will work hardest in trying to do as little as possible and need to be spoon fed everything like a petulant child.

The quicker you identify who is which type the easier your life will be!

And when the first type do complain, it’s worth listening to because chances are they are right and you might learn something or avoid a ■■■■ up!

You are perfectly entitled to plan drivers to their full hours…but use a bit of common sense about and leave a margin of error! If you’re not sure, talk to your good drivers…they generally have a wealth of knowledge for you to tap into.

Don’t expect drivers to break the law to get you or the company out of the [zb]…especially if it’s poor planning that’s caused it. Learn from the mistakes.

Pretty much as above, but remember you are dealing with people, we all have good days and bad days.

First bit of advice is to listen to what drivers say about drops times etc,some will moan for the sake of it and some will have a valid reason which will make theirs and yours easier experience will tell you what’s good and what isn’t.

As said spend time on the road with different drivers to see what the crack is gives you a better understanding of what’s expected.

Spending some time with a driver would be invaluable to you, and will give you some appreciation of what you asking them to do.

I have a great professional relationship with my planner, he communicates with me, but also he asks me to do things, he doesn’t tell me like a naughty school boy. That makes a difference, to me anyway.

Remember that generally as a rule of thumb, drivers don’t like having their “plans” changed. So don’t give them the impression that something is a definate go-er if it isn’t. Especially if that something is an early finish :laughing:

Make sure the driver has everything he needs to be independent from you. A full address including postcode, that has been checked, and a site contact name and number for any difficulties.

Lastly don’t worry too much. From what I’ve read on here a lot of planners don’t set the bar very high, so you won’t have much to beat!

Most of the time us Drivers are on our own and have no one to vent our anger / frustrations out on.
when an irate traffic planner calls you and gives the driver attitude it makes a bad day even worse.
My point is you get more out of any driver if you treat him/her with respect and you will find the driver will return the respect.
After all communication is the key. :sunglasses:

The quickest way to get your best driver’s backs up and get them looking for other jobs is to take the easy route which the vast majority of planners do.

As said above, you have the reliable drivers who get on with whatever they are given to do, and you have the other sort who unless they are being fed the best work of the day will winge and whine about it endlessly, this works dividends for them because the planner for various reasons, including a quiet life but mainly because they’ll just go and do it, gives those who jump up and down and stamp their little feet the easy and most lucrative work and the hard awkward jobs fall as usual onto the dependable.

I’ve seen this over a lifetime and thought they may say nothing, your good drivers are quietly keeping their eyes open for a job where they are valued and get a fair crack of the whip.

Juddian:
The quickest way to get your best driver’s backs up and get them looking for other jobs is to take the easy route which the vast majority of planners do.

As said above, you have the reliable drivers who get on with whatever they are given to do, and you have the other sort who unless they are being fed the best work of the day will winge and whine about it endlessly, this works dividends for them because the planner for various reasons, including a quiet life but mainly because they’ll just go and do it, gives those who jump up and down and stamp their little feet the easy and most lucrative work and the hard awkward jobs fall as usual onto the dependable.

I’ve seen this over a lifetime and thought they may say nothing, your good drivers are quietly keeping their eyes open for a job where they are valued and get a fair crack of the whip.

This, so much this. Don’t play favourites as its a sure fire way to ■■■■ off the entire yard.

Juddian:

Doesn’t work with me…the more a driver moans and whinges about nothing, the worse work I’ll find them…figure they are going to moan regardless so may was well give them something to moan about…

DonutUK:

Juddian:

Doesn’t work with me…the more a driver moans and whinges about nothing, the worse work I’ll find them…figure they are going to moan regardless so may was well give them something to moan about…

and if they look around and find something else it’s a bonus. :laughing: