drivers pay

I have a friend (class 2) who has worked for a particular firm for the last 6years. up until early 2009 he was paid £360 per week plus overtime, anywho, the world economy decided to screw things up a bit for everyone. the drivers were all informed that they would now be paid on a percentage, in his case 25% of what the customer was charged. the drivers were given a new contract of employment and told “no sign, no job” or words to that effect as paying drivers to sit around was draining the company finances and was the only option apart from redundancies. since this was implemented he has been earning £550 per week on average which was on a par with his old wages plus overtime. however if he were to take a day or weeks holiday his pay would be either £72.00 or £360. his question is should he be paid an average of what he has earned over a specific period? maybe the previous 4, 8, or 12 weeks or even the previous 52 weeks? any info or advice would be appreciated, thanks again.

What does his contract say? I’d guess it should be his average pay on a pro rata basis

Yeah. That’s how we’re paid holiday (we’re on mileage). It’s 60-something percent of wages (so not including nights out) over the previous 12 weeks IIRC, but I’d have to check to be certain. Sorry I can’t be more accurate off the top of my head, but it looks like his holiday money is a bit short on the day rate given I earn about the same and usually get a similar amount for a full week, but just over 80 for odd days.It’s a legal thing, anyway, so they can’t short pay it.

not sure whether the contract offers anything numerical, I’ll ask him to dig it out when I see him next, as for average over a pro rata basis, that is what I said it should have been. apparently there are a division of other drivers there doing over night pallets and get payed £110 per day, with the same payed for holidays.

We get paid 55 hrs per week holiday pay for the 4 weeks we get. On top of that we get paid 8 hrs/day for public holidays. I guess we are lucky!

scania rob:
I have a friend (class 2) who has worked for a particular firm for the last 6years. up until early 2009 he was paid £360 per week plus overtime, anywho, the world economy decided to screw things up a bit for everyone. the drivers were all informed that they would now be paid on a percentage, in his case 25% of what the customer was charged. the drivers were given a new contract of employment and told “no sign, no job” or words to that effect as paying drivers to sit around was draining the company finances and was the only option apart from redundancies. since this was implemented he has been earning £550 per week on average which was on a par with his old wages plus overtime. however if he were to take a day or weeks holiday his pay would be either £72.00 or £360. his question is should he be paid an average of what he has earned over a specific period? maybe the previous 4, 8, or 12 weeks or even the previous 52 weeks? any info or advice would be appreciated, thanks again.

It could be he runs on minimum Wage plus Benefits,or somethings alike.Then he wouldn’t get any Benefits for Holiday

Lovlyperson:

scania rob:

It could be he runs on minimum Wage plus Benefits,or somethings alike.Then he wouldn’t get any Benefits for Holiday

This is what I’ve known in the past, if you get a set rate from start to finish - ie, £7.50 / hr for all hours, then your holiday pay is usually an average of what you’ve earned, but if you get an enhanced rate for overtime, then that doesn’t count towards it.

I’d have thought if he’s on a percentage, that’s not going to change after 40 / 55 hrs, so it should be an average of his earnings?

If there’s any enhancement, like an extra 1p / mile on a saturday, or after 40hrs or whatever, then that takes you out of the average and puts you into basic holiday pay.

We get 55hrs guarenteed, then ‘enhanced rate’ after 55hrs, so our holidays are based on 11hrs per day (£82)