Drivers! Own worst enemy!

limeyphil:

ady1:

limeyphil:
i’m paid by the day. it’s great.
i’m booked in tommorrow at 13.00, but i’ll be there at about 0800.
the sooner i get done, the sooner i’m home.

hourly rate is for the sweeper up or pot washer. or mug.

your taking the ■■■■ phil only going in 5 hrs early, you should go in 13.00 the prev day, then you could do a extra days work a week, then instead of screwing the company you be helping them out
shame on you :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

as it happens, i’ve quite often tipped on a thursday, instead of friday, loaded on the thursday, then took friday off on full pay. but an hourly paid man would be walking through the door just after 11pm friday, that’ll be just after his best mate has gone home, but the wife will still be in. :laughing:

phill been there got the badge,£150 for 5 hrs work, 24 hrs for 55 hrs pay, but ive also done the 15 hrs for 11 hrs pay,15 hrs for 10 hrs pay[as near as dammit min wage,told em when i got back,i hope you pay min wage],70 hrs for 50 hrs pay,yes salary good if you caqn get on a good one, but dont tell me there all good, ask my mate what he thought of his 15 hrs for 10 hrs pay last week,he wasnt smiling.
the point is the original poster was implying that that original driver was screwing stobarts by going into tesco on time,unless he knows the facts of every job hes talking out of his ■■■,we sit there often thinking this cant be for real,9/10/12 hrs waiting for loads,its not always the drivers,they dont plan the jobs

ady1:

ROG:

Viewing profile - Fileep
Username: Fileep

If drivers are stretching out the jobs then wouldn’t that leave more opportunities for a Wanabee Owner/operator :question: :bulb: :wink:

f.f.s rog, there parking us up for 12 hrs waiting for return tris,8 hrs waiting for loads, its not zb drivers choice, its PLANNING.
DO YOU REALLY THINK ON A B/H I WANT TO SIT ON A ZB INSTRIAL ESTATE FOR 12 HRS NOT GETTING paid, I HAD TO PUT IT DOWN AS A NIGHT OUT TO GET TRI BACK,I GOT £20 for sitting there for 12 hrs,b/h day time,
you call 12 hrs for £20 spinning the job out,i give up

Of course what you said is down to planning - I don’t disagree with you

The OP said that some drivers were stretching out some jobs which is why I said that might leave more possible work for a Wanabee Owner/operator :wink:

You could twist this ■■■■■■■■ backwards and find the bloke who goes in before his booking time may just zb it up for an owner driver on his last card and they cannot get home for the weekend.

Having sat on both sides of the fence, owner driver and employed, planning and driving, sometimes surprisingly the planner does know what he is doing and has an important customer screaming at him to get a truck into his factory, it may be that the Stobart driver was the back up plan for that irate customer.

On the other hand, the planners could be crap :laughing:

But there is another side of the coin.

I was in Inverness today. Booooring, but as I am not an orthodox I was doing 42-25 on the single carriageway on A9 (i think it should be 50 all way up, but as it’s not, I would stick to (about) the limit.

On my return, the guy said that it was too long and that all other drivers are doing inverness in “7 hours + tip on break”.

But I can’t see the point why I should speeding and risk getting points on my license (there were two police patrols on the way, I saw one using guns to check the speed of the vehicles) when the only result is that I will be paid for 7 hours and tip for free (as I am not paid for my break) while breaking the law, when I can drive stress-free with (about) the legal speed, eat my lunch and read my book in my own time (which is break) and be paid for over 9?

If I am agency driver paid per hour, it does not help me too much if I am at home one hour earlier, if then I have to take extra shift. I would prefere to do a few 15 hours shifts and then take the rest of the week off…

Saying that, I am not one of these, who park up somewhere in the bushes and “clock their overtime”.

I am doing my job I was hired to as good as I can, according to the law and driving with maximum legal and safe speed… I think that should be the reason.

If there is a situation when I am too early, I always go and ask if they can tip me or if I can wait. Often they can, so I am off earlier, but if they can’t - it’s good as well. “No problem, mate, I am paid per hour”…

Fileep:
Why do drivers always ■■■■■ and moan about hourly rate, salary, parking etc. then go on to milk the job for as many hours as they can. Do they not realise by stringing the job out is keeping the wage low! I saw a Stobart driver with a 7.00pm booking in time arrive on site at 5.30pm and did not try to gain entry until his booking time. I arrived shortly after him with the same booking in time, tipped and about to leave when he entered goods in 7.05pm, personally I think is totally out of Order. Thats just taking the p**s, would not have suprised me if he got tipped then parked up and had 45min break. Saw the same driver, who by the way is late 60’s reverse into a parked trailer the other day, bet he reported that! NOT! Its incompetent drivers like that spoiling it for the rest of us.

Am i missing something here? Whats he spoiling for you? But drivers moaning about hourly rate,salary,parking etc. is nothing new to anyone, same as drivers moaning about what other drivers are doing when its nothing to do with them and quite often they put 2 and 2 together and get five !!! It is frustrating though when other people don’t do exactly what you would do, isn’t it? :laughing: :laughing:

Lycanthrope:
Some of the jobs I do, we have written instructions on the paperwork that you are not to try and gain entry until 20mins before booking time or the company will be fined.

exactly my point i was going to make… the fines aint small either :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i dont see the problem, how do you know the driver wasnt taking his 45 min break before he went at his booking time. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Fileep:
Why do drivers always ■■■■■ and moan about hourly rate, salary, parking etc. then go on to milk the job for as many hours as they can. Do they not realise by stringing the job out is keeping the wage low! I saw a Stobart driver with a 7.00pm booking in time arrive on site at 5.30pm and did not try to gain entry until his booking time. I arrived shortly after him with the same booking in time, tipped and about to leave when he entered goods in 7.05pm, personally I think is totally out of Order. Thats just taking the p**s, would not have suprised me if he got tipped then parked up and had 45min break. Saw the same driver, who by the way is late 60’s reverse into a parked trailer the other day, bet he reported that! NOT! Its incompetent drivers like that spoiling it for the rest of us.

Get a life mate, why do you care what any other drivier is doing !!!

Its not drivers hanging jobs out that are lowering the hourly rate …its economics … influx of foreign drivers … surplus of uk drivers … its certainly not poor Mr Stobart driver sat outside

Have to agree with you though that old drivers seem to be crap at reversing … shunt after shunt to get thier trailer on a bay … i see this lots

ady1:
and as for your [zb] about green shirts,scanias, i couldnt give a flying zb whether it a green shirt,blue, pink,whether its a scania,volvo or what, im not a STOBART driver,im a truck driver who happens to work for them ,i never called myself a b+q,brakes,salvos,irlams etc driver, im just a driver who happened to drive for them.
i havent got a stobarts name tattoed on my ■■■■ ,like some.
but im also not ashamed to work for them, they never bother me, just let me get on with the job , even though at times it frustrates the zb out of me.
ive had some really [zb] jobs over the years, this isnt one of them,when i eventually get the planning sorted out to my likeing the job well be up there with my best jobs,but itll take me time,2 years and counting, now im off before you wind me up that much i smash the screen,goodnight

Now hang on a minuet, PINK SHIRT!! thats taking it a tad to far. :laughing:

Fileep:
I saw a Stobart driver with a 7.00pm booking in time arrive on site at 5.30pm and did not try to gain entry until his booking time. I arrived shortly after him with the same booking in time, tipped and about to leave when he entered goods in 7.05pm.

I would like to know how you seen him arrive at 5.30pm when you say you arrived shortly after him■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

xjrv8:

Fileep:
I saw a Stobart driver with a 7.00pm booking in time arrive on site at 5.30pm and did not try to gain entry until his booking time. I arrived shortly after him with the same booking in time, tipped and about to leave when he entered goods in 7.05pm.

I would like to know how you seen him arrive at 5.30pm when you say you arrived shortly after him■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:grimacing: Very good point!

Imo it’s people like Fileppe who [zb] the job by being company boys rushing about everywhere “to get the job done” and be home early, only to find themselves with a “can you just nip to” when they’re just about to put their card. :wink: It’s the same [zb] that [zb] it up for the rest of us as the gaffer then uses the old line “how come it’s taken you x long? Fileppe can do it in x time” etc.

Rob K:

xjrv8:

Fileep:

Imo it’s people like Fileppe who [zb] the job by being company boys rushing about everywhere “to get the job done” and be home early, only to find themselves with a “can you just nip to” when they’re just about to put their card. :wink: It’s the same [zb] that [zb] it up for the rest of us as the gaffer then uses the old line “how come it’s taken you x long? Fileppe can do it in x time” etc.

Fileep Flop :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

xjrv8:

Fileep:

Fileep Flop :laughing:

:laughing: Now now, Malcolm! You know the rulez, “attach the post, not the poster” :stuck_out_tongue:

God some people on this thread must of had a bad couple of days. I really don’t see why what other drivers do winds you up so much. You do your job the way you think the job should be done and let the rest get on with it. Is it really worth stressing your self out about it. If he was spinning the job out then he will more than likely get found out in the end, but like many others have said maybe he was just doing as he was told to do.

You need to calm your self down mate before your next medical your blood pressure must be high :stuck_out_tongue:

Big Brummie Macca:
God some people on this thread must of had a bad couple of days. I really don’t see why what other drivers do winds you up so much. You do your job the way you think the job should be done and let the rest get on with it. Is it really worth stressing your self out about it. If he was spinning the job out then he will more than likely get found out in the end, but like many others have said maybe he was just doing as he was told to do.

You need to calm your self down mate before your next medical your blood pressure must be high :stuck_out_tongue:

it could be that time of the month for him

Rob K:

Exactly.

I heard from the boss today that “he’s not going to pay agency for my run to Inverness, as it took me too long, his own drivers do 56 all the way up and they are 1.5 hours faster so he wants to pay them for 1,5 hours less”.

I understand that he would like to have the run done as quick as possible, and as the speed limiter in the lorry was not operating, he could propably find someone who will do it in 2 hours each way :smiley: but I did nothing wrong (except of going slightly faster than a speed limit) and I can’t see a reason why I should not be paid.

I had agency on the phone soon after and I told them right that: I did nothing wrong, I was faster than legal speed anyway.

I will leave it to them to sort out.

Anyway the guy seems to be OK with me , as he agreed to take me back to the company for next week so if I would be the agency, I would pay myself these few quids extra from my pocket and be happy that I have so good driver in my books that companies asking for him by name…

But in my private opinion: if I would hire a driver, I would be rather expecting him to stick to speed limit and if he was speeding, I would be glad that I can save a few quids and do not risk anything.

But from the drivers point of view: If I was caught on that speed gun they were using on A9 yesterday, I would have to pay ticket and not only get some points on my license, but also work that day for free (as the money would go to the plods…)

I am not an orthodox, I sometimes drive faster, but it’s up to me to decide, when it’s safe (from dangers and from the plods! :slight_smile: ) to do so and if I am in right mood to go a bit faster. Noone will tell me to do 56 all the time, even if the stake will be working for this company in the future or not…

Btw: that reminds me an old story from my period when I had that misfortune to works for McLellan’s. I was doing night trunking to Inverness and no matter how fast I was, they were always unhappy and blaming me. They wanted lorry back in Glasgow at 8am the latest, even if I had to wait in printing works to 2am to be loaded…

I told them “next time you blame me and I am going on italian strike (italian strike means stick to the rules so strictly, that it’s absurdal”). And yet they were yelling at me. So next time I was driving strictly to the limit and instead of being in Menzies in Inverness before 4 am, I was there nearly at 6am, as I run of my driving time and had to take my 45 minutes right at the bottom of that big hill when you coming to Inverness…

They were mad when I came back to glasgow at about 10:40 and told me that I am sacked. I told them "No problem, I am going straight to press, tomorow expect 11 pallets of Daily Express with a big headline on the first page “McLellan’s transport sacks driver for observing speed limits”…

I had phone call 2 hours ago “Forget, they were joking, can you do Inverness for us tonight again”?

:grimacing: :grimacing:

Today I even regret that I agreed to come back, as they finally sacked me in the worst possible moment for me - right after I was injured in a car accident… But this is a different story :smiley:

orys:

Rob K:

Exactly.

I heard from the boss today that “he’s not going to pay agency for my run to Inverness, as it took me too long, his own drivers do 56 all the way up and they are 1.5 hours faster so he wants to pay them for 1,5 hours less”.

I understand that he would like to have the run done as quick as possible, and as the speed limiter in the lorry was not operating, he could propably find someone who will do it in 2 hours each way :smiley: but I did nothing wrong (except of going slightly faster than a speed limit) and I can’t see a reason why I should not be paid.

I had agency on the phone soon after and I told them right that: I did nothing wrong, I was faster than legal speed anyway.

I will leave it to them to sort out.

Anyway the guy seems to be OK with me , as he agreed to take me back to the company for next week so if I would be the agency, I would pay myself these few quids extra from my pocket and be happy that I have so good driver in my books that companies asking for him by name…

But in my private opinion: if I would hire a driver, I would be rather expecting him to stick to speed limit and if he was speeding, I would be glad that I can save a few quids and do not risk anything.

But from the drivers point of view: If I was caught on that speed gun they were using on A9 yesterday, I would have to pay ticket and not only get some points on my license, but also work that day for free (as the money would go to the plods…)

I am not an orthodox, I sometimes drive faster, but it’s up to me to decide, when it’s safe (from dangers and from the plods! :slight_smile: ) to do so and if I am in right mood to go a bit faster. Noone will tell me to do 56 all the time, even if the stake will be working for this company in the future or not…

Btw: that reminds me an old story from my period when I had that misfortune to works for McLellan’s. I was doing night trunking to Inverness and no matter how fast I was, they were always unhappy and blaming me. They wanted lorry back in Glasgow at 8am the latest, even if I had to wait in printing works to 2am to be loaded…

I told them “next time you blame me and I am going on italian strike (italian strike means stick to the rules so strictly, that it’s absurdal”). And yet they were yelling at me. So next time I was driving strictly to the limit and instead of being in Menzies in Inverness before 4 am, I was there nearly at 6am, as I run of my driving time and had to take my 45 minutes right at the bottom of that big hill when you coming to Inverness…

They were mad when I came back to glasgow at about 10:40 and told me that I am sacked. I told them "No problem, I am going straight to press, tomorow expect 11 pallets of Daily Express with a big headline on the first page “McLellan’s transport sacks driver for observing speed limits”…

I had phone call 2 hours ago “Forget, they were joking, can you do Inverness for us tonight again”?

:grimacing: :grimacing:

they finally sacked me

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: So after a story as long as war and peace the end result was what I thought it was going to be having been there seen it done it including the Italian Strike idea but always thought better of it after all and decided that it’s better to get finished as soon as possible and the zb guvnor is always zb right even when he’s zb wrong before the zb got round to zb sacking me. :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: So after a story as long as war and peace the end result was what I thought it was going to be having been there seen it done it including the Italian Strike idea but always thought better of it after all and decided that it’s better to get finished as soon as possible and the zb guvnor is always zb right even when he’s zb wrong before the zb got round to zb sacking me. :laughing: :laughing:

And you are wrong here. Because after my “italian strike” I returned to my way of considerable and safe driving, not to “56 all day except when maneuvring in the yard” idea.

My point (in short words) was: I am not a holy man, but I don’t think it’s right when employer forces us to break the law.

If the employer would force me to break the law, i would not be bothered when he sacks me (but they would not sack me for that, as they know that I will win with them in every court). But if I know that is important for him that I will be somewhere quicker I don’t think that driving through ihabited (and in-lambbited :grimacing: ) moors a bit faster than 40 will do any harm to anyone…

orys:

Carryfast:

And you are wrong here. Because after my “italian strike” I returned to my way of considerable and safe driving, not to “56 all day except when maneuvring in the yard” idea.

My point (in short words) was: I am not a holy man, but I don’t think it’s right when employer forces us to break the law.

But if I know that is important for him that I will be somewhere quicker I don’t think that driving through ihabited (and in-lambbited :grimacing: ) moors a bit faster than 40 will do any harm to anyone…

On job and finish on deserted nightime motorways knowing that they would’nt be deserted in the morning and I’d then probably run out of driving time if I did’nt get a move on and then the load would’nt get there in time then I’d be looking for another job the conclusion that I reached was that a bit faster than 60 mph sometimes will do no one any harm.Then they brought in speed limiters. :open_mouth: :imp:

Carryfast:
On job and finish on deserted nightime motorways knowing that they would’nt be deserted in the morning and I’d then probably run out of driving time if I did’nt get a move on and then the load would’nt get there in time then I’d be looking for another job the conclusion that I reached was that a bit faster than 60 mph sometimes will do no one any harm.Then they brought in speed limiters. :open_mouth: :imp:

See what I mean: it should be you to decide…

Jesus Christ…have people really got nothing better to do then worry about what other drivers are doing■■? I go to work & do what im asked to do & i couldnt give a rats ■■■ what anyone else is doing. This country is getting worse by the minute & i for one cant wait to get the ■■■■ out of the uk & away from driving.!!!