Drivers negligence insurance

Does anyone know if you actually need this coverage? I know it’s been mentioned on here before but there was never a definitive answer. I’m self employed and would be nice to know if I need it before actually having to have it.

Short answer :

S/e = no.

Ltd Co = yes.

Longer answer - s/e no, but only if you word your T&Cs right so that it says you’re covered under theirs. If you’re contracting to an agency as s/e (rare these days) they will 99% likely want you to have your own cover.

Hi Rob,

I’m self-employed as a Ltd. company, I work for a few agencies and drive for a couple people direct too, I took some advice re. public liability cover was assured by a legal chap I know that this cover would only be needed if people came to my premises in the purpose of my work - which they dont so no need to worry on that one, but I’ve had a couple of drivers ask me if I can help them get some work, which in effect would mean I would be setting up as an agency, which is fine, but no point if they bang up a motor and I am handed the bill for it. But even so, it is actually needed, or just better to have it?

Any advice appreciated.

londontruck:
Hi Rob,

I’m self-employed as a Ltd. company, I work for a few agencies and drive for a couple people direct too, I took some advice re. public liability cover was assured by a legal chap I know that this cover would only be needed if people came to my premises in the purpose of my work - which they dont so no need to worry on that one, but I’ve had a couple of drivers ask me if I can help them get some work, which in effect would mean I would be setting up as an agency, which is fine, but no point if they bang up a motor and I am handed the bill for it. But even so, it is actually needed, or just better to have it?

Any advice appreciated.

Sorry I misread/misinterpreted what you wrote. DNI I don’t know. I’ve never had any, only PLI, and I am ltd co. I didn’t have PLI (or DNI for that matter) when I was s/e because my contract was worded in such a way that I was in effect a temporary worker of the client when on a job for them and therefore covered under their ins.

DNI comes in conjunction with PLI anyway if you’re an agency. A typical example would be £10k of cover for around £2500 per annum with anything between £500-1k excess, but that only covers the vehicle being driven at the time. If you do damage to another vehicle or property then it doesn’t pay out. It’s basically a waste of time but most sizeable companies won’t touch agencies without it.

Thanks, that what I was kinda thinking too. Thanks.

londontruck:
I’ve had a couple of drivers ask me if I can help them get some work, which in effect would mean I would be setting up as an agency, which is fine, but no point if they bang up a motor and I am handed the bill for it.

Thats what would happen to someone who didn’t get his customers to sign a “Terms of Business”. In mine, I had a clause that I was not liable for the costs, losses or expenses incurred as a result of any action by me or any of my employees. It also had things in like payment terms, penalties for late payment etc. Every customer was required to sign the terms and thus a contract was formed. I “acquired” most of my terms from those printed on the back of a timesheet my agency had us get signed when I was on PAYE with them.

If you are a Ltd Company you must do the same. If you are s/e through an agency, you must get the agency to sign these terms.