Drivers Medicals

I am fast approaching 50, so will be needing to take another medical soon, would like to know if I let it lapse do I lose my entitlement to drive, would I have to take my test again if i wanted to get back behide the wheel. I am not currently driving and don’t really plan to in the future but am reluctant to lose it. I have not done any cpc’s either is that another factor to consider.

john57:
I am fast approaching 50, so will be needing to take another medical soon, would like to know if I let it lapse do I lose my entitlement to drive, would I have to take my test again if i wanted to get back behide the wheel. I am not currently driving and don’t really plan to in the future but am reluctant to lose it. I have not done any cpc’s either is that another factor to consider.

You can let it all lapse and you can get your licence back at anytime whenever you take your medical. Once you have your licence back you’ll then need to get 35 hours dcpc training done so you ca drive commercially. So the main point is you do not have to sit a re test or lose the entitlement. You can leave it all untill you’re 60 if you like then go get it back.

^^^^^^ what he said. I did it meself - let my licence lapse coz I had a crappy job in the bookies then came back at age 46 - get medical and job’s a good 'un :smiley:

Thanks for that guys, nice to know its only a matter of a medical and not a retest, and the cpc

Have you completed any dcpc hours ?

Hi ROG, no I havn’t done any dcpc, does this change again, can I still take my medical at any time and then do my 35 hours to get back on the road.

john57:
I havn’t done any dcpc, does this change again, can I still take my medical at any time and then do my 35 hours to get back on the road.

Yes, you never lose your HGV entitlement, when you have a medical your entitlement is restored, but you cannot then drive commercially until you’ve done the 35 hours DCPC training.