Drivers mates??

I might be getting my first trucking job soon and I’ve been told I will have a drivers mate working with me. As I never driven with one before what would be expected of them in respect of their duties?

My experience of them is expect him to sleep all the way to the drop then when you get there expect him to moan about doing anything with the drop.

Heaven forbid you ask him to watch you back as that’s ‘not my job mate’

Then on the way back you can expect him to be asleep all the way back too, while you wonder wtf he has done to earn a wage for that day.

I’d much rather have my cooler box next to me than a so called drivers ‘mate’ :laughing:

A good mate will help load, look after the paperwork, navigate, be great company, watch you reverse, help unload, may even buy tea. Time was when a mate progressed to driving so they were interested in the job.

But in the current world, I’m sorry to agree with maga.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Detest some of the mates at our place, wont watch you back, wont do paperwork, wont ring the customer, but will happily kip whilst on the move and eat their lunch whilst your driving, but wont crack on whilst you grab a bite.
Now were paired up 2 drivers per motor, much better, understanding and both take a job role.

Oh dear!!!

maga:
My experience of them is expect him to sleep all the way to the drop then when you get there expect him to moan about doing anything with the drop.

Heaven forbid you ask him to watch you back as that’s ‘not my job mate’

Then on the way back you can expect him to be asleep all the way back too, while you wonder wtf he has done to earn a wage for that day.

I’d much rather have my cooler box next to me than a so called drivers ‘mate’ :laughing:

+1

Very few drivers mates are there because they want to be.

I used to have a mate, it was delivering sift drinks around the West End, 10ton every day and every case by hand.

Went through quite a few, one in particular got dumped and had to bus it home after I finally list my patience. He never had any money so would try to ponce a breakfast every day. I cured that by telling him the bacon sarnie on the table was his, it belonged to a rather large builder who was not impressed at having his sandwich stolen in front of his eyes :smiley:

He used to shout abuse at pedestrians until I stopped and let a group of black kids catch us up after he had hollered out the N word as we drove past them, I told them to help the self to him, lucky for him they were happy with the world’s biggest grovelling apology and didn’t give him a hiding.

The others were mummy’s boys and didn’t have a day’s work in them. Quite often they didn’t turn up after the first couple of days had worn them out.

The best one was a diamond though, he did everything a good driver’s mate should do, like stopping traffic so I could back into parking spaces, he knew how much room I needed, he could plan a route as good as a black cab driver, he was a grafter and was always on time to help load in the mornings and turned up every day.

newmercman:
I used to have a mate, it was delivering sift drinks around the West End, 10ton every day and every case by hand.

Went through quite a few, one in particular got dumped and had to bus it home after I finally list my patience. He never had any money so would try to ponce a breakfast every day. I cured that by telling him the bacon sarnie on the table was his, it belonged to a rather large builder who was not impressed at having his sandwich stolen in front of his eyes :smiley:

He used to shout abuse at pedestrians until I stopped and let a group of black kids catch us up after he had hollered out the N word as we drove past them, I told them to help the self to him, lucky for him they were happy with the world’s biggest grovelling apology and didn’t give him a hiding.

The others were mummy’s boys and didn’t have a day’s work in them. Quite often they didn’t turn up after the first couple of days had worn them out.

The best one was a diamond though, he did everything a good driver’s mate should do, like stopping traffic so I could back into parking spaces, he knew how much room I needed, he could plan a route as good as a black cab driver, he was a grafter and was always on time to help load in the mornings and turned up every day.

need a like button for some posts lol

When I was with DriverHire on 7.5t work (admittedly a few years back) the hourly wage for drivers mate was the SAME as driver :open_mouth: Never could reason that one. Hope it isn’t still the same. When I got called up for drivers mate work I did my best to be helpful to the driver as there was always hope of being taken on permanently and eventually getting a driving job with them…though the best that ever came of it was being asked to drive for the afternoon shift unexpectedly when someone was ill.

If you happen to get a decent drivers mate from agency, do them a favour and tell the tm they are ok, so they get asked for by name again. Everyone wins, they get the work and you get someone competent with you!

all our mates at ours are either out the garage or drivers themself they do everything apart from drive that includes beer duties and parking :laughing: if i go out with someone as a nate works same way

I take it that they are not all bad then?

truckerturner:

Let’s not start a war, but if they are agency it is pot luck. (There are some great blokes who work agencies whatever you read on here!) If they are other drivers or directly employed you should be fine. So take it as it comes, and if it seems you have a vaguely helpful human next to you make the effort to get on and enjoy the extra help. If they are lazy and useless tell the tm at the end of the day. A good mate can help a lot. One comes to mind who actually had a spare 24v indicator bulb with him and fitted it during lunch!

truckerturner:

Good ones are a rare breed, who actually take an interest and want to become a driver, hence they dont stay long as mates,
Alot know it as an easy screw, getting driven around for the day without a care in the world, These are the ones that really need to bring bus/train fares to work with them as its a long walk home when the driver is ■■■■■■ off with their laziness :wink:

Ive just done my first few days working for bargain booze,and the drivers mates were both really good lads,stayed awake,worked hard at each drop, and always backed the lorry in without me asking. Pleasantly suprised after reading some posts.

truckerturner:
Ive just done my first few days working for bargain booze,and the drivers mates were both really good lads,stayed awake,worked hard at each drop, and always backed the lorry in without me asking. Pleasantly suprised after reading some posts.

Which is in complete contrast to the ‘mate’ I’ve had for the past few weeks, refusing to see me out, spent most of his time asleep when we were travelling, wasn’t too keen on phoning customers (company policy every customer is called in the morning to advise est time of drop, then a call 30 mins before arrival).

Speak to your TM.

newmercman:

Missing the rest of that story - what happened to him!

Probably became a driver and now has a ■■■■ drivers mate . :smiley:

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: