Driver's Mates.. Helpful or not?

Got an agency job yesterday and was given a driver’s mate, who was frankly a pain in the arse.
Ignorant as to me sticking to driver’s hrs. etc.
It’s the first time I’ve had someone in the passenger seat. Are they usually helpful?

Would I be pulled over if I’d have lashed him to the grill? lol

Some are helpful, others are not.

Turfed one out of the cab years ago when he lit up a splif. Agency suggested I go back and get him, so just returned the truck to the yard with half the deliveries done and refused to go back there. Told the supervisor why I was returning the load and truck, and he said ‘fair play, I wouldn’t want to work with that either’ and got a basic 8 hours out of it…

Have been a D/M and have tried to be as helpful as possible but it ended up with me doing most the work and the driver sitting in the cab, plus over the week he (the driver) had a few collisions, of which he blamed on me…

Yea, puts me off now if the agency says I’m geting a d.m. now.
I’ll give it another go with someone else, but any more crap and that’s it.

This one was talking crap most of the day, then moaned when I said I was pulling in for a break… and also fiddled on with switches/fittings in the cab and also seen him via the wing mirrors, messing about outside with fittings… ■■■■■■■ twonk!

Any time I have been or had a drivers mate the manager made things clear - the driver is in charge

I remember doing recycling once and the two crew started pulling fuses for the speed limiter and lit up a spliff. As someone else said, truck went straight back.
One the other side, I’ve had some brilliant drivers mate’s/loaders.
It’s probably the same for them as to how helpful the driver they have to work with is.

Maybe not the same but I once had a mate but ran out of driving hours so pulled in to services kicked him out and went to bed. Never did find out how he got home.

Only had one so far - factory fodder who very nearly guided me into a low wall. Nice enough youngster, but didn`t belong in a cab.