Driver's logbook - why when and how?

Just to prove what a beginner I am…

When does a driver need a logbook and why?
What should be recorded in it?

Any other pertinent information that I should know?

Thanks
Alan

Very rarely, is the short answer.

I have never used one in the fifteen years I’ve been driving all sorts of vehicles. I think there’s an obscure law requiring drivers of vehicles <3.5t GVW for hire or reward operating under UK domestic law to keep a logbook. Drivers of vehicles which are exempt from tachograph law such as those operated by a local council for municipal refuse collection within a certain radius of their base may also be required to keep a logbook. Note “municipal”, that is domestic refuse as opposed to commercial.

In my opinion it’s a theoretical question only, as any operator required to use them would be well versed in their use, and would ensure compliance by those affected by them.

I say, my opinion. It’s a long time since I did a CPC course.

Those Geermans expected it too, although since tachographs became compulsory in 3.5t I think they are more relaxed

OnlyAlan:
Just to prove what a beginner I am…

When does a driver need a logbook and why?
What should be recorded in it?

Any other pertinent information that I should know?

Thanks
Alan

If you’re driving on domestic regulations you would use a log book unless there’s a tachograph fitted to the vehicle and calibrated in which case you can use either a log book or the tachograph.

domestic rule are mostly emergency services and industries like water,gas,electric can also be classed as emergency

Thanks for the replies, that’s that question answered.

I was prompted to ask after watching Road Wars or Interceptors or something where a Polish driver had to produce his logbook - I am easily confused. :slight_smile:

Alan

OnlyAlan:

I was prompted to ask after watching Road Wars or Interceptors or something where a Polish driver had to produce his logbook - I am easily confused. :slight_smile:

Alan

In that case, it was probably the film maker who didn’t know his arse from his elbow

OnlyAlan:

Alan

I remember that episode and asked one of the old boys at work the next day. He said that if you’re transporting something nasty like offal in bulk you can be off tacho but have to record everything in a logbook. No idea if that’s true or still an active rule though, it’s just what i was told.

I always though that a logbook was used for flagging down another driver when you needed to hitch a lift somewhere! :smiley:

A log book or daily time sheet if on domestic driving hours eg white van man :laughing:

animal:
A log book or daily time sheet if on domestic driving hours eg white van man :laughing:

We never hear anything about a ‘white van woman’. Are there any, or is this a racist question? :slight_smile:

OnlyAlan:

animal:

We never hear anything about a ‘white van woman’. Are there any, or is this a racist question? :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No comment

OnlyAlan:

animal:

No such thing as white van woman as the only thing we drive is you men up the wall or to drink :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: