Drivers Log Book

If you use a Digi Tacho is it a legal requirement to fill in a drivers log book?

We run many vehicles that are exempt from tachos and the drivers fill in the drivers log books to keep a record.

The drivers of the vehicles that are not exempt from tachos use a digi tacho and they’ve been told that they must also fill the drivers log books in as it is the law and they have to do it to protect themself.
Even though they have been told not to write any times just to just write =tacho= across the “time going on duty” " time going off duty" “time spent driving” “time spent on duty” sections.

P.S. They have a separate vehicle defect books, the drivers log books used are not an all in one.

ukmm:
If you use a Digi Tacho is it a legal requirement to fill in a drivers log book?

We run many vehicles that are exempt from tachos and the drivers fill in the drivers log books to keep a record.

The drivers of the vehicles that are not exempt from tachos use a digi tacho and they’ve been told that they must also fill the drivers log books in as it is the law and they have to do it to protect themself.
Even though they have been told not to write any times just to just write =tacho= across the “time going on duty” " time going off duty" “time spent driving” “time spent on duty” sections.

P.S. They have a separate vehicle defect books, the drivers log books used are not an all in one.

I assume you mean you have to fill in a log book even on days when you drive in-scope of EU regulations in which case it may be your companies policy but it’s certainly not a legal requirement, that’s what the tachograph is for and if you’re using it correctly and inputting manual entries to show your start and finished times it kind of negates any reasonable use for a log book :wink:

Seems like a waste of paper to me but I suppose your bosses must have their reasons :wink: