Drivers Hours

If I drive for say 2 hours take a 15 min break then drive for 1 hour take a 30 min break can i then drive for 1.5 hours giving me the 4.5 hour limit befor taking another break if so how long would that break need to be

ian24661:
If I drive for say 2 hours take a 15 min break then drive for 1 hour take a 30 min break can i then drive for 1.5 hours giving me the 4.5 hour limit befor taking another break if so how long would that break need to be

Hi ian24661,

At the time you completed the second (30mins) break you described above, that ‘resets’ the clock, so you could then drive for another 4.5 hrs(max) before you need your next break.

The 4.5 hr limit you mentioned only comes into play IF you’ve not had a break or breaks totalling 45mins(min) before the 4.5 hrs(max) driving limit is reached. In that case, the min break you’d need is still 45mins.

:open_mouth: Good job I saw this before ROG or Del. :grimacing: :laughing: :wink:

If I drive for say 2 hours take a 15 min break then drive for 1 hour take a 30 min break

45 mins has been accrued now, therefore giving you a clean slate for driving time, so from this point you can drive another 4.5 hours of continual or accrued driving before you would have to have an other 45 minute break

dieseldave:

ian24661:
:open_mouth: Good job I saw this before ROG or Del. :grimacing: :laughing: :wink:

Was thinking the very same myself Dave :laughing: :laughing:

But you can only do this two times a week, therfore you’ll be driving anther one hour.
Try to take your break as close to the 4.5 limit as you can, don’t worry about other work as this doesn’t count. Fiveteen mins as a first break is advisable then half an hour for lunch is just right.
That’s how I do it but i’m on a class 2 on a multi drop at the moment and its works fine, i’m lucky if I drive 4.5 hours.

NikNik:
But you can only do this two times a week, therfore you’ll be driving anther one hour.
Try to take your break as close to the 4.5 limit as you can, don’t worry about other work as this doesn’t count. Fiveteen mins as a first break is advisable then half an hour for lunch is just right.
That’s how I do it but i’m on a class 2 on a multi drop at the moment and its works fine, i’m lucky if I drive 4.5 hours.

I’ve no idea where you get your information from but it appears to be totally wrong.

I’m not 100% sure what it is that you’re trying to suggest but splitting the break doesn’t stop a driver from doing the full 9 hours a day driving, nor does having breaks before reaching the 4.5 hours driving time is reached.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your post :wink:

NikNik:
Try to take your break as close to the 4.5 limit as you can,

Is this due to the myth which states that if you take the full 45mins before the 4.5 hrs then you ‘lose’ the remaining driving time :smiley:

mrpj:

NikNik:
Try to take your break as close to the 4.5 limit as you can,

Is this due to the myth which states that if you take the full 45mins before the 4.5 hrs then you ‘lose’ the remaining driving time :smiley:

More than likely, that was my first thought when I read NikNik’s post.

i would say one thing is to remember that if you do do it that way remember to keep a track of you total hours driving for the day so you don’t go over your daily max :wink:

Sorry had a few too many drinks last night. :smiley:
What I meant to say was if he was gonna extend his day by using his 9th hour after the last 45 minute break, obviously he can only do this twice a week.

I was always told that if you have either your 45 mins or split break, then after you have had the break it wipes the slate clean, then you are onto your second period of driving time etc.

NikNik:
Sorry had a few too many drinks last night. :smiley:
What I meant to say was if he was gonna extend his day by using his 9th hour after the last 45 minute break, obviously he can only do this twice a week.

Why? You can use your 9th hour every day of the week. In the original post he drivers for 2 hours 15 minutes, has a break, drives for 1 hours and takes a break, at which point he has been told the driving clock is reset and he can drive for another 4.5 hours before the next break is due. That is only 7 hours and 45 minutes driving for the shift and he could either do another 1.25 hours for a 9 hour day every day or 2.25 hours for a 10 hour day twice a week.

NikNik:
I was always told that if you have either your 45 mins or split break, then after you have had the break it wipes the slate clean, then you are onto your second period of driving time etc.

Correct, but you can have more than 2, or 3, periods of driving time in a shift. You can have several as long as you don’t exceed 4.5 hours without a break or 9 hours, 10 twice a week, between daily rest periods.

so you don’t lose any driving hours once you have had a 45 min break if i have only driven for 3 hours total i can take a break 45 min then drive for 4.5 hours hav 45 min break then dive for 1.5 hours or 2.5 twice a week

ian24661:
so you don’t lose any driving hours once you have had a 45 min break if i have only driven for 3 hours total i can take a break 45 min then drive for 4.5 hours hav 45 min break then dive for 1.5 hours or 2.5 twice a week

SPOT ON :smiley: :smiley:

ian24661:
so you don’t lose any driving hours once you have had a 45 min break

No, that’s just a popular driver’s myth based on the MMTM__*__ rules. It’s not quite Top 10 Myth material but it’s bubbling under. :wink:

__*__My Mate Told Me

Sorry I meant the 10th hour twice a week, head is in the shed :smiley:

Thanks for all your help guys