Drivers Hours

Please Help

Can somebody please give me an appropriately titled Idiot’s Guide to Drivers hours because everytime I try to understand it all my head feels like it’s going to explode.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

Drivers Hours Regulations[/list:u]

Driving Breaks

• A driver must have a 45 minutes break immediately after accumulating 4½ hours driving.
  • The 45 minute driving break can be split into 2 parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes, the second part must be at-least 30 minutes, and they must be taken in that order.

Whenever a break of 45 minutes or more is taken, or when a split driving break is completed, a new 4½ hour driving period begins.

Examples:
Drive - 3 hours
Break - 45 minutes
The driving time is reset and you can drive for another 4½ hours before having another break.

Drive … 2½ hours
Other work … 1 hour
Drive … 2 hours
Break … 45 minutes (The driving time is reset)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is legal

(Split driving breaks)
Other work … 30 minutes
Drive … 1 hour
Break … 15 minutes
driver … 2 hours
Break … 30 minutes (The driving time is reset)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is legal

Drive … 1 hour
Break … 30 minutes
Drive … 3½ hours
Break … 15 minutes (This break should have been 30 minutes)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is not legal
In this case the split break was taken the wrong way round, the 30 minute break counted as the first part of a split break (15 minutes) so the second break should have been 30 minutes instead of 15.

(This would result in an infringement for exceeding 4½ hours driving without the required breaks)

Driving

• Maximum 9 hours driving between daily rest periods.
  • Maximum driving between daily rest periods can be extended to 10 hours twice a week.
  • Maximum 56 hours driving per week.
  • Maximum 90 hours driving in any 2 consecutive weeks.

The daily driving time can be split up into any combination of driving periods as long as no more than 4½ hours driving is accumulated before having a 45minute break.

Examples:
(9 hour driving shift)
Other work … 1 hour
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
Other work … 30 minutes
End of shift

(10 hour driving shift)
Other work … 15 minutes
Drive … 3½ hours
Break … 15 minutes
Drive … 1 hour
Break… 30 minutes
Drive … 3 hours
Break … 45 minutes
Drive … 2½ hours
Other work … 15 minutes
End of shift

Daily Rest

• Must have a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (maximum 13 hour shift).
  • The daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between 2 weekly rest periods (maximum 15 hour shift).
  • Reduced daily rest periods do not have to be compensated for.
  • A regular daily rest period can be taken in two parts, the first part can be taken at any time and must be at-least 3 consecutive hours, the second part must be at-least 9 consecutive hours and must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift (maximum 15 hour shift).

Any part of a rest period that does not fall within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift will not count towards the daily rest period

For instance if you start at 06:00 and finish work at 19:15 then have 11 hours rest until 06:15 it will count as a reduced daily rest period, from the end of the shift at 19:15 to 06:00 (24 hours from the start of the shift) is only 10¾ hours.
So even though you’ve had 11 hours rest it’s a reduced daily rest period because only 10¾ hours of it was inside the 24 hour period from the start of the shift at 06:00.

Weekly Rest

• Must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 hours in a week.
  • Weekly rest period can be reduced to no less than 24 hours-
  • In any two consecutive weeks you must have at-least 1 regular 45 hour weekly rest period and 1 reduced weekly rest period.
  • Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods must be paid back en block no later than the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

Working Time Regulations[/list:u]

RT(WT)R Breaks

• You should not exceed 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes.
  • If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 30 minute break/breaks during the shift.
  • If your working time exceeds 9 hours you should have a total of at-least 45 minute break/breaks during the shift.
  • Breaks for the working time regulations can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.
  • Breaks that are at the immediate start of finish of the shift will not count for the working time regulations (breaks must interrupt the working time).

Up-to 6 hours working time.

• No break is legally required.

If the shift is more than 6 hours working time but not more than 9 hours working time.

• A total break/breaks of 30 minutes is required, this can be taken in 2 parts of 15 minutes each and at-least 15 minutes of the 30 minute break should be taken before going over 6 hours working time.

Or (You are legally required to comply with either the rule above , or the rule bellow , but not both)

If the shift is more than 9 hours working time.

• Total break/breaks should be at-least 45 minutes and at no point in the shift should you do more than 6 hours working time before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.
  • So for the 6 hour rule a 15 minute break should be taken
  • No later than 6 hours working time from the start of the shift
  • And*
  • No later than 6 hours working time since the end of the last break.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

Breaks for the working time regulations (RT(WT)R 2005) can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each and cannot be taken at the immediate start or end of the shift.
Driving breaks count as breaks for the RT(WT)R and where appropriate breaks for the RT(WT)R count as driving breaks.

• Working Time*
  • Maximum 60 hours working time in a week (this does not include breaks or POA).
  • Average working time over the reference period must not exceed 48 hours per week.

Take each rule in turn and let that rule sink in before going onto the next

When checking if you have complied with the rules consider each rule separately and tick it off if you have complied with it

Trying to consider all the rules at the same time will mess you up and there is no need to do that

Thank-you so much.

How do trampers do 15 hours a day ■■?

Albert1:

The same way other drivers do 15 hours a day.

Reduced daily rest periods a maximum of 3 times between weekly rest periods or have split daily rest periods.

tachograph:

Albert1:

The same way other drivers do 15 hours a day.

Reduced daily rest periods a maximum of 3 times between weekly rest periods or have split daily rest periods.

Was gonna mention about doing 5 * 15 hour shifts but looking above my heads mangled looking through that and I know it.
Think it was either you (Tachograph) or ROG that actually explained that one to me with split breaks…

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Where is Muckles condensed set, as I think that’s the best short guide that’s easy to digest…
Someone else can search for it though! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
Where is Muckles condensed set, as I think that’s the best short guide that’s easy to digest…
Someone else can search for it though! :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134561&hilit=driver+hours+rules

Cheers for these brief guides :sunglasses:

So say I did 3 and half hours driving all together and did other work for 3 hours after all my drop offs to stores and got back to base within the driving time before 4 and half hours does this mean I don’t have to have any breaks ?

Mellor:
So say I did 3 and half hours driving all together and did other work for 3 hours after all my drop offs to stores and got back to base within the driving time before 4 and half hours does this mean I don’t have to have any breaks ?

You wouldn’t need a driving break but for the WTD 6 hour rule you would need a 15 minute break no later than 6 hours working time.

tachograph:

Mellor:

You wouldn’t need a driving break but for the WTD 6 hour rule you would need a 15 minute break no later than 6 hours working time.

Would I have to legally record/show that on the tachograph?

bigf00t:

tachograph:

Mellor:

Would I have to legally record/show that on the tachograph?

You are legally required to record all your activities, if you take the driver card out of the tachograph and carry on working you would either do a manual entry next time you use a digital tachograph or write a manual entry on a printout.

Entering the manual entry into a tachograph would be the favoured option.

Andy Pandy:
Please Help

Can somebody please give me an appropriately titled Idiot’s Guide to Drivers hours because everytime I try to understand it all my head feels like it’s going to explode.

Might help, might not - but I’ll offer a ‘free’ Drivers Hours CPC course in Burnley. Just pay the £8.75 upload fee.

If a Burnley’s no good - sorry :neutral_face:

I was confused starting out asking Tachograph numerous questions but it soon clicks once your into it. Had an infringement in my first week for insufficent break in a 12 hour shift literally missing it by two minutes while waiting to get unloaded in the yard! :laughing: