Drivers hours!!

As I’m still a fairly newish driver with a job that doesn’t usually take me over my 9 daily hours (sometimes do t even clock up 4.5) I’ve never really had to worry about watching my hours, although sometimes I’m out driving all day. Basically I was just curious about the rest breaks. If I drive for 3 hours then take my 45min break, then drive another 4.5 hours, take a second 45min break would I then be able to drive 2.5 hours or still only the hour for a 10 hour driving day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you could drive for 2.5 hrs in the scenario you mentioned.

You can drive the 2.5. Doesn’t matter how it adds up to 10, as long as it doesn’t go over 10 and you’ve not done more than 4.5 without a break your fine.

You could drive for 1.5, 45 break, your reset then, drive for 4 hours, 45 break, you’ve reset yourself again, you can then drive for 4.5 before having to finish for that day.

You can drive upto 10 hours per day regardless of how you spilt your breaks…obviously keeping within the law,so yes you could…you could drive 4.5hrs have 45 break then another 1hr then break then 4.5hrs again.

I did think that would be the case, but just wanted to make sure, there’s so much red tape these days it’s confusing to understand all the do’s and don’ts but thanks for your input [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can drive over the 10 hr as long as you write explanation on back of printout

Don’t forget your WTD 6 Hour rule however. You can cover this with your drivers’ hours break, but could slip under the radar if you spend more time doing ‘other work’ than you do driving.

You cannot work for more than 6 accumulative hours without a break. As defined by the Drivers hour’s laws, a break must be at least 15 minutes in length in order to qualify as a break.
If you are to work between 6 – 9 hours, then you must accumulate 30 minutes of break across your shift.
You can do this by taking periods of breaks at least 15 minutes in length or a full 30 minutes of break all at once. Just remember to not work more than 6 consecutive hours without a break of at least 15 minutes.
If you continue to work up until you exceed 9 hours of WTD, then you must take a further 15 minute break. So 45 minutes of break across the shift in total. Again, this can be taken in periods of at least 15 minutes or more, or all at once provided you do not breach other regulations.
You can take this additional break at any time throughout the day once your duty has begun, and it may also be included on the end of another break, but it must be no later than after 9 hours of total WTD.
Note – Please note that your required 45 minute break to comply with driver’s hour’s law can be used as the same break to satisfy the WTD rules.

el_presidente:
Don’t forget your WTD 6 Hour rule however. You can cover this with your drivers’ hours break, but could slip under the radar if you spend more time doing ‘other work’ than you do driving.

You cannot work for more than 6 accumulative hours without a break. As defined by the Drivers hour’s laws, a break must be at least 15 minutes in length in order to qualify as a break.
If you are to work between 6 – 9 hours, then you must accumulate 30 minutes of break across your shift.
You can do this by taking periods of breaks at least 15 minutes in length or a full 30 minutes of break all at once. Just remember to not work more than 6 consecutive hours without a break of at least 15 minutes.
If you continue to work up until you exceed 9 hours of WTD, then you must take a further 15 minute break. So 45 minutes of break across the shift in total. Again, this can be taken in periods of at least 15 minutes or more, or all at once provided you do not breach other regulations.
You can take this additional break at any time throughout the day once your duty has begun, and it may also be included on the end of another break, but it must be no later than after 9 hours of total WTD.
Note – Please note that your required 45 minute break to comply with driver’s hour’s law can be used as the same break to satisfy the WTD rules.

Yea thanks, I’m clued up with 6 hour WTD, I always split the 45min break for that purpose, the job I do makes it easy to forget about it, lots of handball involved unfortunately

If you’re taking two breaks in a day from what your saying, make them an hour each. That way your covered for everything then :wink:

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Simmons84:

el_presidente:
Don’t forget your WTD 6 Hour rule however.

I don’t think that last paragraph there is correct :wink:

el_presidente:

You cannot have WTD breaks at the immediate start or end of the shift, you can have breaks at the immediate start of end of the shift but they won’t count for the WTD.

Also, regardless of the length of the shift there’s no requirement to have anything other than breaks for the 6 hour rule before exceeding 9 hours working time.
For the working time regulations there’s nothing to stop you working 6 hours then having a 15 minute break then working another 6 hours before having another 15 minute break.

If the total working time is more than 9 hours, as long as the 6 hour rule is complied with you can have the 45 minute break/breaks at any time other than the immediate start or end of the shift, that’s obviously disregarding driving breaks.

dozy:
You can drive over the 10 hr as long as you write explanation on back of printout

Did your planner tell you that?

dozy:

Here goes dozy again haha

Yeah don’t listen to that. You shouldn’t go over 10 hours in the same way you shouldn’t go over 4.5. But in the real world in exceptional circumstances if your forced to just to be able to get to the next place to park then you have to do that and write an explanation of why you’ve gone over on the back.

The way dozy said that is like you can just do it every day, which to be fair he probably does judging from some of the stuff he writes on here :grimacing:

Dont forget you can only drive up to 10hours twice in any fixed week, driving for 9 hours and 1 minute would use one of those 10’s, without getting to pedantic.

Thought it was 15 minutes before 6 hours then another 15 before 9hours for wtd. Shows what I know :wink:

If you regularly exceed 10 hours and hand a DVSA representative a handfull of printouts thinking your going to be fine you could be in for a shock or more likely a fine, maybe even further investigation. Once in a while should be ok but this will depend on how submissive one is during inspection as well as the reason on the printout, just saying the M25 was busy wont cut it, an unforseen event like alien abduction and probing might work. I find slipping into my gimp mask early gives the officer no doubt as to my level of compliance.

dozy:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
only if your planner provides the lube.

(Dozy, are you really this thick, or are you trolling? )

tachograph:

el_presidente:

You cannot have WTD breaks at the immediate start or end of the shift, you can have breaks at the immediate start of end of the shift but they won’t count for the WTD.

Also, regardless of the length of the shift there’s no requirement to have anything other than breaks for the 6 hour rule before exceeding 9 hours working time.
For the working time regulations there’s nothing to stop you working 6 hours then having a 15 minute break then working another 6 hours before having another 15 minute break.

If the total working time is more than 9 hours, as long as the 6 hour rule is complied with you can have the 45 minute break/breaks at any time other than the immediate start or end of the shift, that’s obviously disregarding driving breaks.

Dodgy websites then eh?! :grimacing:

driverhours.co.uk/working-time-directive/

tenlivegroup.com/blog/wp-con … rivers.pdf

Your first website is dodgy.

The second one is not as it does not state you must have taken it by 9hrs WTD :stuck_out_tongue:

Try an official source than an unofficial “résumé” website…

el_presidente:

Chartwise have been mentioned on this site before because of giving out inaccurate information.

what is this explanation of the 6 hour rule?

45 min break

Captain Caveman 76:

dozy:

Did your planner tell you that?

Probably, that’s why their O licence truck numbers were reduced !

tachograph:

el_presidente:

Chartwise have been mentioned on this site before because of giving out inaccurate information.

what is this explanation of the 6 hour rule?

45 min break

Pesky Internet…! Last time I trusted it, my Thai Bride was a little older than the 21 promised on the screen…! And she was also a ‘he’!!