Drivers hours / working hours

Hi starting a new job on Monday just passed my class 2.
So it’s 12hr guaranteed, so if I end up doing 12 hour a day eg 6am-6pm would that be legal Monday to Friday ■■

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%

100% legal or illegal (sorry)

Yes only problem you could have if a lot of driving is involved is you can only drive over 9 hours twice in any fixed working week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok thankyou.
I can understand the drivers hours easy it’s all the WTD that’s making my head hurt.
E.g. Over the WTD period, usually 17 or 26 weeks, you must average no more than 48 hours per week and I’m guessing I will be doing more than 48 hours work.

Only your driving and other work count to the WTD .
So once you take your brakes and periods of availability off it’ll bring it down a bit .
I think !?

Even if I had a 2 hour break every day it would still be 50 hours.

Unless you’re either constantly driving or actually doing other work, you could use the POA or break option if you are just waiting for a load/ getting tipped etc. This will reduce your time towards WTD. Personally, I use the break option rather than POA.

Some don’t do that and use other work when hanging about, each to their own.

‘Re WTD responsibilities’

Driver to give info to employer - usually by presenting them with digicard to download
Employer to keep driver legal for WTD

Drivers are not expected to work it all out - that is job of TM/office workers in the company

So I’m responsible for my drivers hours and they keep track of my WTD for me?
All I would have to do is make sure I have a break after 6 hours if my driving break hadn’t already done this for me if I’m thinking on the correct lines.

Is WTD checked when your stoped and do you get infringements??

john w 666:

yes :smiley:

john w 666:
All I would have to do is make sure I have a break after 6 hours if my driving break hadn’t already done this for me if I’m thinking on the correct lines.

john w 666:

no - the authorities aint bother about WTD but many companies give internal infringements

Cheers ROG
Looks like I’ve got this in the bag finally.
Also if it’s the company who issue the infringement internally then it’s there fault in the first place for not keeping track on my working hours in the first place and over working me.

ROG:

john w 666:

john w 666:

john w 666:

no - the authorities aint bother about WTD but many companies give internal infringements

I must say Rog i don’t think it’s a good idea on the newbie site telling drivers not to worry about the WTD so basically giving the green light to new drivers to pretty much ignore their WTD hours.

To John to a certain extent the authorities aren’t bothered about the WTD but if you were over your hours and you were involved in a serious RTA then they’d be going through your hours with a fine tooth comb.

How are you to be paid?
If some or all breaks are unpaid it is in your interests to keep breaks to a minimum. If you are paid for for breaks, or maybe breaks after the first one or whatever, then there is no reason not to book lots of breaks, and/or periods of availability (POA), where possible, so keeping your WTD hours low.

EDIT If youre guaranteed 12 hours pay a day, then book lots of breaks and POA, Id say.

bald bloke:

ROG:

john w 666:

john w 666:

john w 666:

I must say Rog i don’t think it’s a good idea on the newbie site telling drivers not to worry about the WTD so basically giving the green light to new drivers to pretty much ignore their WTD hours.

To John to a certain extent the authorities aren’t bothered about the WTD but if you were over your hours and you were involved in a serious RTA then they’d be going through your hours with a fine tooth comb.

DVSA do not have any sanctions for WTD breaches - unless they have added some in the last 6 months …

ROG:
DVSA do not have any sanctions for WTD breaches - unless they have added some in the last 6 months …

There are no sanctions/penalties at roadside. However, having enquired with a DVSA colleague he has said he would check WTD breaks and advise a driver if there are issues. He also said and if there are EU infringements as well as WTD this may prompt a site visit for the operator. The WTD infringements make the overall picture look worse.

Also, if by chance a driver ended up in front of a TC they will potentially suspend a drivers vocational licence for WTD infringements according to Statutory document No 6