Drivers hours rules- split daily rest?

Hi folks I’m not trying to invite a torrent of abuse and pizz taking but I’d never come across the following scenario (until dcpc) and can’t seem to google the right phrase to find it,
But it went a little like this,
For example, it’s Friday night and I’ve reached the end of my daily duty time. I may have a split rest say from 9pm and have 3hrs, then on the stroke of midnight I can start driving again using Saturdays driving time?
Now this seemed alien to me but a couple of euro lads said they had done it regular to get them home.and it was mentioned u have to add the remainder of the split rest (9 hours) onto your weekly rest to compensate but as I said I can’t seem to find it in the regs?
I’m sure theirs something to restrict how many hours I can ‘pinch’ from Saturday etc,
So as I said , I only know what I know guys and have never known this situ before sticking the boot in
Thanks in advance
Matt

Mattwoodtransport:
Hi folks I’m not trying to invite a torrent of abuse and pizz taking but I’d never come across the following scenario (until dcpc) and can’t seem to google the right phrase to find it,
For example, it’s Friday night and I’ve reached the end of my daily duty time. I may have a split rest say from 9pm and have 3hrs, then on the stroke of midnight I can start driving again using Saturdays driving time?
Now this seemed alien to me but a couple of euro lads said they had done it regular to get them home.and it was mentioned u have to add the remainder of the split rest (9 hours) onto your weekly rest to compensate but as I said I can’t seem to find it in the regs?
I’m sure theirs something to restrict how many hours I can ‘pinch’ from Saturday etc,
So as I said , I only know what I know guys and have never known this situ before sticking the boot in
Thanks in advance
Matt

They’re talking complete nonsense, a split daily rest period is when you have 3 or more hours rest during the shift then 9 hours rest after the shift, under no circumstances can you legally start using the next shifts driving time until you’ve completed a daily rest period.

With a split daily rest period the last 9 hour rest period has to be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, so the maximum spread-over from the start to the end of the shift is 15 hours.

Mattwoodtransport:
Thanks in advance
Matt

My understanding of the split daily rest is that it simply allows you to add another 9 hour rest period to your week, with the proviso that you have a 3 hour rest during that given shift.

So instead of having 3 x 9’s you get 4.

It doesn’t afaik allow you to borrow driving hours from the following day. But if you are sat for 3 hours or more at an RDC watching TV and you’ve already reduced three daily rests, you can now have another 9 at the end of this shift… provided your time at the RDC is on rest.

AFAIK, if your available spread is a 13, you cannot suddenly add hours, you are still restricted to the 13 spread - then you must have at least 9 off. Happy to be corrected.

Spence:
AFAIK, if your available spread is a 13, you cannot suddenly add hours, you are still restricted to the 13 spread - then you must have at least 9 off. Happy to be corrected.

If you have a split daily rest period you can have a spread-over of 15 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift every day because a split daily rest period does not count as a reduced daily rest period.

tachograph:

Spence:

If you have a split daily rest period you can have a spread-over of 15 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift every day because a split daily rest period does not count as a reduced daily rest period.

Thanks.

That makes sense…

The hours bank, there is a good idea, can I get overdraft?

Thanks lads I did think it odd that firstly, I had no knowledge of such a rule, when I take my driving abit more serious than most, and secondly that I couldn’t find any reference to it, but to be honest there was quite a few inconsistencies from my dcpc trainer that I overlooked or put down to dated rules,technology, etc, most of it was grabbed direct from the 1980’s. And by his own admission he’d changed careers from labourer to trainer due to knee injury with no experience of transport. But when a know it all euro driver started telling us that’s how he got home after a Friday shift I put it on the list I was making to follow up on when I got home, so thanks lads as that was the last bit of home schooling I needed to tick off,
Thanks again

Mattwoodtransport:
But when a know it all euro driver started telling us that’s how he got home after a Friday shift I put it on the list I was making to follow up on when I got home, so thanks lads as that was the last bit of home schooling I needed to tick off,
Thanks again

Lots of drivers, Euro or otherwise, did things to get home after a Friday shift back in the day. Mostly it involved winding the clock on 9 or 11 hours and cracking on but you probably won’t get told that’s legal on a DCPC course.

I say probably because there is a chance you might be given some of the ■■■■■■■■ they come out with. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mattwoodtransport:
Thanks lads I did think it odd that firstly, I had no knowledge of such a rule, when I take my driving abit more serious than most, and secondly that I couldn’t find any reference to it, but to be honest there was quite a few inconsistencies from my dcpc trainer that I overlooked or put down to dated rules,technology, etc, most of it was grabbed direct from the 1980’s. And by his own admission he’d changed careers from labourer to trainer due to knee injury with no experience of transport. But when a know it all euro driver started telling us that’s how he got home after a Friday shift I put it on the list I was making to follow up on when I got home, so thanks lads as that was the last bit of home schooling I needed to tick off,
Thanks again

Just goes to show that there should be approvals done on the content of dcpc courses especially those on the regs

ROG:

Mattwoodtransport:
Thanks again

Just goes to show that there should be approvals done on the content of dcpc courses especially those on the regs

I completely agree with that idea but I don’t think even our government would be that stupid, can you imagine the scale of the driver shortage if there was a pass/fail element to the DCPC?
The pass level would have to be set so low as to render it pointless.

Tgtrucker:

ROG:

Mattwoodtransport:
Thanks again

I completely agree with that idea but I don’t think even our government would be that stupid, can you imagine the scale of the driver shortage if there was a pass/fail element to the DCPC?
The pass level would have to be set so low as to render it pointless.

I did not say a test for the driver - I said course content approval so the trainer is delivering the correct info

I thought JAUPT had to approve all course content before you could set up a DCPC lesson?

F-reds:
I thought JAUPT had to approve all course content before you could set up a DCPC lesson?

They do approve courses, though it might be more to the point if they checked the courses for accuracy before approving them, but that would take time and effort and reduce their profitability so it’s not likely to happen.

It might be a daft question Tachograph. But if they are not checking the course content for accuracy during the “approval” process, then what the ■■■■ are they approving■■?

F-reds:
It might be a daft question Tachograph. But if they are not checking the course content for accuracy during the “approval” process, then what the [zb] are they approving■■?

Haha good one , anyone could make one and get it approved , I might go along with a load of peppa pig diagrams and spout aload of bollox lol

F-reds:
It might be a daft question Tachograph. But if they are not checking the course content for accuracy during the “approval” process, then what the [zb] are they approving■■?

They appear to be approving the amount of money they can make out of the road transport industry :laughing:

When I said “they do approve courses” I was talking about what appears to be a rubber stamping exercise rather than anything productive like checking the courses content for accuracy.

I give up.

As far as I’m aware anyway JAUPT was set up to oversee a so called training system that was forced on us by the EU, I believe there maybe some minor checking on the training facilities and possibly the trainers previous experience, though I’m not sure even that is done in any effective manner, as far as I can see JAUPT are good at rubber stamping things that will raise funds but that’s about the total extent of their creditability.

If it was the real aim of JAUPT to provide proper training why would they make already accredited training courses such as ADR pay the same as a new course to be approved, as far as the UK is concerned it’s all about money, and doing proper checks on course content is not profitable, it really is that simple.