Drivers hours question

Hi,

A little advice please. I had my 45 hour rest then I did 6 night shifts last week, so Sunday was my reduced. This week I am down for Mon Tues Weds Friday and Saturday.

My understanding has always been that you must take your next 45 hour rest within the following week. When I queried this, I have just been told that as long as I start the rest period on Sunday it can run over into the next week so I won’t work next Mon either. I just need to start my 45 hour rest in this week. My understanding was that next week is a new accounting period?

Could someone clarify whether what I have been told is correct?

Thanks

Ian

iw1961:
Hi,

A little advice please. I had my 45 hour rest then I did 6 night shifts last week, so Sunday was my reduced. This week I am down for Mon Tues Weds Friday and Saturday.

My understanding has always been that you must take your next 45 hour rest within the following week. When I queried this, I have just been told that as long as I start the rest period on Sunday it can run over into the next week so I won’t work next Mon either. I just need to start my 45 hour rest in this week. My understanding was that next week is a new accounting period?

Could someone clarify whether what I have been told is correct?

Thanks

Ian

For a weekly rest to count for the fixed week it must be at least 1 minute in that week

Weekly rests do not have to fit into a fixed week

A weekly rest that includes sunday midnight can be used for the week ending OR the week starting but not both

A weekly rest that includes sunday midnight and is say 90 hours can be used for both weeks

If a weekly rest goes over into Monday from Sunday, you can count it in either week but not both. It is possible to bookend the 45s on the beginning and end of a three week period as per the example in the drivers hours rules. You have a reduced or maybe two in the middle week and you satisfy the rules.

Well I didn’t know that. Always worked on the basis of rest periods being taken within the fixed week.
Thank you for your help.

It can be difficult to work out if you can work or not when you are working reasonably ad-hoc and you start getting single days off during the week thrown in like that.

Noremac:
It can be difficult to work out if you can work or not when you are working reasonably ad-hoc and you start getting single days off during the week thrown in like that.

Ask your self these questions in this order to help you to see if you have complied

in the fixed week is there a weekly rest
is that weekly rest a regular or reduced one
is there a regular weekly rest in every other week
is there no more than 144 hours between any 2 weekly rests