Drivers hours question

I have quite a complicated situation regarding driving hours i’m really struggling with working out my rest period as I am on a rota and think I have messed up my driving hours by working a rest day.
Heres a quick diary of my days if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated…

Friday 28th August - 5:00 til 15:50
Saturday 29th August - 4:00 til 16:10
Sunday 30th August - 9:00 til 18:50
Monay 31st August - rest day 33 hours 55 mins rest
Tuesday - 1st September 4:45 til 16:15
Weds 2nd Sept - 3:45 til 14:15
Thurs 3rd Sept - 3:45 til 16:45
Fri 4th sept - 5:30 til 16:30
Sat 5th sept - 4:30 til 14:00
Sunday rest day 37.5 hours rest
Monday 7th September - 3:30 til 14:30
Tuesday 8th sept - 3:30 til 16:30

I have a rest day tomorrow an back in on thursay and Friday and then 2 more rest days Saturday and sunday then back in Monday at 4 am. My thinking is that I may have to book another rest day off this Monday to compensate for the reduced rest days…

You had a reduced weekly rest period starting 18:15 Sunday 30/08/15 and hopefully you also had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period that same week.
Was the regular weekly rest period on Wednesday and Thursday 26th and 27th August ?

It looks like you don’t have to worry about compensation as it’s been paid back already.

The 37.5 hours reduced rest period on Sunday 06/09/15 was a 24 hour reduced weekly rest period plus the compensation of 11 hours and five minutes for the reduced weekly rest period of 33 hours 55 minutes on 31/08/15.

You’ll be having a regular 45 hour weekly rest period this week (Saturday and Sunday) so there will be no compensation needed for the reduced weekly rest period on Wednesday (tomorrow).

Yeah that’s right tachograph that was the beginning of my week after a 45 it’s all just so baffling! Thanks for your help! Is there anything out there to use that can work out when I can and can’t work does anyone know?

I believe some people use a smart phone app called Trucker Timer.

Obviously the best long term solution is to learn the rules thoroughly, though it may take a while :wink:

… beginning of my week after a 45
Friday 28th August - 5:00 til 15:50
Saturday 29th August - 4:00 til 16:10
Sunday 30th August - 9:00 til 18:50
Monday 31st August - rest day 33 hours 55 mins rest
Tuesday - 1st September 4:45 til 16:15
Weds 2nd Sept - 3:45 til 14:15
Thurs 3rd Sept - 3:45 til 16:45
Fri 4th sept - 5:30 til 16:30
Sat 5th sept - 4:30 til 14:00
Sunday rest day 37.5 hours rest
Monday 7th September - 3:30 til 14:30
Tuesday 8th sept - 3:30 til 16:30
I have a rest day tomorrow an back in on Thursday and Friday and then 2 more rest days Saturday and Sunday then back in Monday

Fixed week* is Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight *known as week in the regs
Each fixed week must have a weekly rest used for it
Every other fixed week must have a 45 used for it
For a weekly rest to be used for a fixed week it must be at least 1 minute in that fixed week
Fixed weeks where there is more than 1 weekly rest which can be used only need 1 of them to be used for it and the others are simply extras which do not need compensating/paying back
A weekly rest can only be used once
A weekly rest which includes 1 minute each side of Sunday midnight can be used for the week ending OR the week starting because it is in both weeks

In your example we are looking at 3 fixed weeks
Mon 24/8 to Sun 30/8 = week 1
Mon 31/8 to Sun 6/9 = week 2
Mon 7/9 to Sun 13/9 = week 3

week 1 you had a regular 45 on 26/8 + 27/8
week 2 you had a reduced on 31/8 and then you had an extra reduced on 6/9 which does not need paying back but where the first 24 hours reset the 144 hours clock and the other 13 hours paid back the shortfall from the 31/8 reduced
week 3 you will have a reduced on 9/9 and a regular on 12/9 + 13/9 so the 9/9 is an extra not needing payback

I know Tachograph has explained this but I thought laying it out like this might help a little more …

Cheers Rog! I think I’ve got it now thanks for your help lads! I did think i had mastered the driving rules until this came along. Thank f*** I’ve not broken any rules though cheers again!!

I’ve become stuck again if I’m doing split rest days and say for instance I have Sunday and Tuesday off in a week will the Tuesday count as compensation for the reduced rest on the Sunday or will it not count towards anything??

Damo_hall:
I’ve become stuck again if I’m doing split rest days and say for instance I have Sunday and Tuesday off in a week will the Tuesday count as compensation for the reduced rest on the Sunday or will it not count towards anything??

It can count as compo but to give a definitive answer more info is needed

When was the last regular weekly rest ?
How many hours was sunday off ?
How many hours was tue off ?

Damo_hall:

There’s no such thing as a split weekly rest period, what you’ve described is two reduced weekly rest periods.

If you have Sunday and the following Tuesday off, whether or not the Tuesday could be used as compensation for the reduced weekly rest on Sunday would depend on several things.

Will the rest on Tuesday be needed to start a new six periods of 24 hours.

• If not is Tuesdays rest long enough to compensate for Sundays rest and have a daily rest period
    If Tuesdays rest is needed to start a new six periods of 24 hours.
  • is the rest long enough to compensate for Sunday + 24 hours.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

The question cannot be answered just from what you’ve said.

I’m totally confused by all this if I send you a copy of my rota tachograph would you be kind enough to have a look at it for me? The reason is because I would like to put in to work a couple of rest days but I’m totally lost now!

Damo_hall:
I’m totally confused by all this if I send you a copy of my rota tachograph would you be kind enough to have a look at it for me? The reason is because I would like to put in to work a couple of rest days but I’m totally lost now!

Can you scan and post it on here and blank out anything you do not want others to see such as your name etc :question:

Alternatively you could post your rota on here for the past 3 weeks like this -

sat sun = off 57 hours
mon tue wed thu = work
fri = off 32 hours
sat sun mon tue = work
wed = off 33 hours
thu fri sat = work
… or something like that which shows any period of 24 hours or more off

Damo_hall:
I’m totally confused by all this if I send you a copy of my rota tachograph would you be kind enough to have a look at it for me?

Sure I will, if you don’t want to post it here send me your rota and I’ll have a look.

Here’s my rota not to fussed about anyone seeing it. I worked Friday just gone the 11th which is not on there and I was wondering if I could work either the 23rd or 24th of October. The dark grey boxes are my days off.

You’re already working on the 23rd and 24th October.

So you’ve got your wish :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Your weekly rest periods look fine by the way.

Sorry my mistake not October September I meant haha

Damo_hall:
Sorry my mistake not October September I meant haha

Assuming all sun and mon rests include sunday midnight then you can work EITHER the 23rd or 24th September

Assuming you don’t work nights you could work either the 23rd or the 24th September.

The way it works is that the Sundays rest on 6/9/2015 counts as a reduced weekly rest for the week starting 7/9/2015, then the Saturday and Sunday (12th and 13th September) counts as a regular weekly rest period for week starting 14//09/2015, so you can have a reduced weekly rest period next week (week starting 21/09/2015), you’ve got a regular weekly rest period the following week anyway.

If you can see how that works fine, but if you don’t understand it then I wouldn’t suggest working either of those days :wink:

You can also work on either the Friday or Sunday (not Saturday) in week starting 5th October if you want.

Part of the problem you’re having understanding your rota is probably because it shows the week starting on Sundays, if you convert it to weeks starting on Mondays (drivers week is Monday to Sunday) as I have it will hopefully make more sense to you.

Does this help ? - I have colour coded what rest goes with what week
Those not coloured are extra rests not used for any week

DAMO.png

Cheers Rog that’s brilliant just a question what about week four you’ve not coloured in a rest day?