Drivers hours question double manning

Can someone please clarify the drivers hours breaks for double manning.
As i understand it the non-driver is on a break for the first 45 mins of a shift? even though the tacho shows poa and shows up as an infringement if a wtd break is not taken-how does this work.
if this is true then the first driver can drive for 4 hours 30 then change and should be on rest for the next 45 mins although the tacho shows other wise and would give an infringement when he took over again-help!
also do you have to take 30 mins break in the first 6 hours working or just 15min and another 15 in the next 3 hours (up to 9 hours), it’s all very confusing
all comments welcome

1st 45 mins of POA in SLOT 2 is counted as a break, so yes, whoever’s in the passenger seat, got card in slot 2 is recording their break, followed by POA (which doesn’t count towards WTD or Driving time of course), so after however long - upto 4.5hrs - they can just change drivers, swap cards over, and crack on.

A lot of drivers think it must be 4.5hrs, WHY?? We used to change every 2hrs to stop either of us getting tired, sure it might have added 2 or 3 minutes to a days duty, but we both felt safer in the long run.

If in passenger seat, 15 mins kip before you take over is great. Try not to do it in the drivers seat though :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Double manning works on a 30hr ‘day’, so you can work upto 21hr spread (21+9=30), but most firms that use double man trucks in the UK are doing it for drive time reasons only, so you’ll still normally be done in around 12hrs or so

If you are doing straight thru driving, then there’s no need to worry about the 6hr rule as the changeover will cover that.
I would change drivers before the tacho flashes up break at 4h 15m though.
You are correct on the 45 mins poa, under double manning, it counts as a break so you shouldn’t get an infringement for it.
If, however, you are double manning for home delivery type situations, then you will need to take 15mins before 6 hours work.

Banquo:
also do you have to take 30 mins break in the first 6 hours working or just 15min and another 15 in the next 3 hours (up to 9 hours)

15 for ANY 6 hours of work (does not include breaks or POA)
No 9 hour rule exists in the context you state

RT(WT)R example - assume driving in this shift is less than 4.5 hours so no tacho breaks required
Work/drive 6 hours
break 15 mins
work/drive 6 hours
break 15 mins
work/drive 2 hours
break 15 mins
work/drive 15 mins

I used to do 3 hours and then swap.
also tried to not be driving after 0100

many thanks for your replies, i 'm still a little unsure, does this mean when double manning i need not bother putting the tacho on a break at all as my card in slot 2 will automatically give me that break every time we swap?

Banquo:
many thanks for your replies, i 'm still a little unsure, does this mean when double manning i need not bother putting the tacho on a break at all as my card in slot 2 will automatically give me that break every time we swap?

Correct, go for it by the end of the day you’ll probably have about 3 45’s in
Jim

Banquo:

Yep, I did many months on multi manned night trunks and never actually recorded a break. Never had an infringement because the analysis software recognised it was multi manned work and assumed the first 45 minutes in slot 2 was break.