Drivers Hours hints and tips

Yet to do my class 2 or Cat C (in new money) doing that in Feb.

I drove coaches for a year and am currently on the buses. When driving coaches, my route was always the same -

Portsmouth - Southampton - Heathrow

Break (which was normally about 90 minutes) then,

Heathrow - Southampton - Portsmouth

Typically these were about 10 hour shifts and I never had to worry about driving time unless the top of the M3 was stuffed but even then didnt really get close to going over 4.5 hours etc.

With the driving hours rules, I only knew what I needed to know which is nowhere near most of it. When I do start reading about it, it just messes with my head, its just not clicking with me.

Daily driving is fine - not a problem. Its when it goes into weekly, fortnightly , reduced rest, owed rest etc that I start geting confused. There seem to be so many ifs and buts that it becomes a big grey area of confusion ( well for me anyway )

Are there any simple methods that you think might help me actually get this in my head, I’m by no means stupid but I just cant get the hang of this

Cheers Guys and Gals

Your not on your own :smiley: I’m looking forward to every aspect of driving for living apart from managing driver hours.

Dan

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … al-hgv.pdf

Download and print from the above link, fits in your wallet. easy to understand. it will all come to you, Learn the bits that are relevant to what your going to do and build on that knowledge as you need it

Cheers Steve, that’s goin to come in useful :slight_smile:

i have a app on my phone that takes everything into account driving time, other work, breaks, poa, daily and weekly breaks, well worth the 3 pound odd i paid for it.

trucker timer is called on andriod pretty sure there will be a apple version too.

Adam27:
Are there any simple methods that you think might help me actually get this in my head, I’m by no means stupid but I just cant get the hang of this

Download the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe) and study one part at a time, for instance learn the daily/weekly/fortnightly driving hours that permitted, then the daily rest requirements, then the weekly rest requirements, and so on until you’ve covered everything, then you can start on the working time regulations :smiley:

Do yourself a favour and learn the regulations rather than relying on a phone app or anything else, phone apps are great but there’s no substitute for actually knowing what you can and can’t do :wink:

Feel free to ask about anything you’re not sure about.

deltawing:
i have a app on my phone that takes everything into account driving time, other work, breaks, poa, daily and weekly breaks, well worth the 3 pound odd i paid for it.

trucker timer is called on andriod pretty sure there will be a apple version too.

Yeah, I got this when I was on the coaches. Would be absolutely spot on off you could input each days work manually. As far as I can see, you can only record live which is a bit annoying as I may need to use my phone for other stuff.

tachograph:

Adam27:

Download the Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe) and study one part at a time, for instance learn the daily/weekly/fortnightly driving hours that permitted, then the daily rest requirements, then the weekly rest requirements, and so on until you’ve covered everything, then you can start on the working time regulations :smiley:

Do yourself a favour and learn the regulations rather than relying on a phone app or anything else, phone apps are great but there’s no substitute for actually knowing what you can and can’t do :wink:

Feel free to ask about anything you’re not sure about.

Cheers mate, you’re right. The only way to crack it is to sit and study it.

To be able to test my knowledge would be good. I wonder if there are any tests online I could do.

Adam27:
To be able to test my knowledge would be good. I wonder if there are any tests online I could do.

Do not know of any but I could do a little quiz by PMs

ROG, that would be great if you don’t mind and if you’ve got some free time. Doesn’t have to be immediate but whenever you can would be fantastic. :slight_smile:

I use a site called mydrivinghours.co.uk to keep an eye on everything for me. Its free to use and tells you when your next daily rest,weekly rest etc is due as well as any weekly time owed and how many reduced rests and extended driving periods you have used plus it tells you how many hours you have driven in each consecutive fortnight… It also covers your accumulated working time over 17 and 26 weks as well.
The only problm is you need to already know how many hours per day you have driven,how long for break,poa and other work. I just write it in a diary as I go and then put it on the site each night.
It keeps me right and I like it. Really easy to use as well

Sounds perfect mate, gonna check it it, cheers