Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive?

If you drive Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 8:30, then from 14:45 to 15:45 and you are able to dispose of your time freely in between 8:30 and 14:45, can you drive on Friday evening into Saturday morning, and if so, taking into account both Drivers hours and WTD, what time/day would you have to stop driving and working? In this instance a 45 hour weekly rest period would start no later than 10:30 on Saturday. Would you also offer an explanation of how you arrive at your answer please?
Many thanks!

No you can’t drive from Friday into Saturday because your duty time on Friday started at 07:30 so the latest you could drive to on Friday night would be 22:30 as the maximum duty time is 15hrs a day. If your afternoon shift finishes at 15:45 on Friday and they’re wanting you to do a run late Friday night into Saturday morning the earliest you could start would be 00:45 Saturday morning as you’d need to take a daily rest after the end of the afternoon shift due to the 15hr duty time limit preventing you working beyond 22:30 Friday as mentioned above.

Because you have over 3hrs off in one lump between the morning and afternoon run you don’t need to treat the 9hrs off as a reduced daily rest, instead it can be treated as a split daily rest.

If they’re wanting you to cover a late Friday night shift then you’d have to not do the Friday afternoon one. If you do the morning one and don’t do the afternoon one then as long as the evening one doesn’t start until 9hrs after the morning one ends you’re good to go even though it’s something I’d tell them to shove up their arse as you won’t get any sleep and effectively be up from when you get up Friday morning until you finish Saturday morning.

Very helpful, thanks for that!

Or instead of starting at 1445 start at 1730 instead then you could work till 0830 Saturday morning… (if you have a 15 left and not breaking the 144hr rule) good luck [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, thanks for your alternative, I see how that works!