Drivers Hours and Multidrop

Please explain how this works im a complete dush brain here!

A multi drop driver doing 14 hours a day how is it broke up? Ie 1hr driving 1 hr other work 2hr driving 1/2 hour other work ect. Will the other work account for the 9 hrs allowed for driving?

Has anyone started out and were taken for a ride so to speak? I worked hard to get my licence and do not want it taken from me!

Any help will be greatfull.

14 hour day is not possible every day due to daily rest requirements.
The regs say something along the line of: you must complete a daily rest period before the end of the 24 hour period beginning at the start of your shift. ie if you start every day at 07:00 you must rest before 20:00 (to get 11 hour rest), you can finish at 22:00 on 3 days that week, reducing your rest to 9 hours.

I advise use a timer/stopwatch of some sort for counting driving time, I use an Hourguard, bloody good piece of kit :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

I do multi drop, but on a regular run and I rarely get to 4.5 hours driving before I need a break for the WTD or usually cos I’m hungry :laughing: .

Read the regs and stay legal

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf

I’m sorry to say that a lot of people cant read because they keep asking the same old questions
You just have to read read and yes read

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: WoW!! Heavy :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Alan Ni:

A multi drop driver doing 14 hours a day how is it broke up? Ie 1hr driving 1 hr other work 2hr driving 1/2 hour other work ect. Will the other work account for the 9 hrs allowed for driving?

Has anyone started out and were taken for a ride so to speak? I worked hard to get my licence and do not want it taken from me!

Sorry I’m not quite sure what you mean, the driving time is the accumulated time that you were actually at the wheel driving the vehicle.

Other work does not count towards the 9 hours driving time.

When you’ve accumulated 4 and half hours driving you should stop and have a 45 minute break, this break can be split into 2 parts.
The first part of a split break must be at least 15 minutes and the second part must be at least 30 minutes.
If you have a split break it’s important that they’re taken in the correct order.

Example 1:
Drive = 1 hour
o/w = 0.5 hours
drive = 2.5 hours
o/w = 1 hour
drive = 1 hour
You’ve completed 4 and half hours driving so you must now have a 45 minute break.

Example 2:
drive = 1 hour
o/w = 0.5 hours
rest = 15 minutes
drive = 2.5 hours
o/w = 1 hour
drive = 1 hour
You’ve now driven for a total of 4 and half hours but as you’ve had a 15 minute break/rest you must now take a 30 minute break.

within 24 hours from the start of the shift you should have completed a daily rest period of at least 11 hours.
If you start work at 06:00 then by 06:00 the following day (24 hours) you must have completed a daily rest of at least 11 hours, so you would need to finish work by 19:00 (7pm to 6am = 11 hours daily rest ).
The daily rest can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods.
You can see by this that if you’re having an 11 hour daily rest you can only have a spread-over (spread-over = start of shift to end of shift) of 13 hours as 13 hours + 11 hours daily rest = 24 hours.
If you’re having a 9 hour daily rest then the spread-over can be no more than 15 hours.

There’s also the WTD regulations to consider but as the drivers regulations are considered to be more important you should consentrate on learning them before worrying about the WTD :wink:

Feel free to post back if there’s anything you don’t understand or you have any more questions, there are always people here who are willing to help :wink:

Good luck.

Alan Ni:

In the ‘old days’ (Pre WTD) when I was doing multi drop in a 7.5 tonner, I used a ‘countdown’ cooker timer.

I set it to 4.5 hours and pushed the start button - the time started to reduce.
Every time I stopped I would pause the timer and then hit the start again when I started to drive again.

There was not a drivers hour guard available in those days but it worked very well :smiley: