Drivers Handbook

Does anybody have one of these? I am in the process of writing one for the company I work for. Im looking for genuine feedback as to what you would consider useful things to include. I have made a comprehensive list as to what I think should be included, but there may, no, probably is things that I have not thought of - or indeed things that I have discounted.

All suggestions of a sensible nature gratefully received, with thanks.

Pm’ d you with some info…its all useable but lots you may wish to delete depending on your standpoint !

I believe H Askey from Sheffield use one ,the full time subbies use it too however the only rule from it I know of is go for a 0800hrs delivery unless otherwise stated.i don’t know if they would send you one.

Just a basic but usually the best usefull telephone numbers,emergency contacts ,other drivers numbers (if they consent).

Other drivers are usually the best help! :laughing: :laughing:
And the bible (truckers atlas) .

When i started for one Form they had a clear folder where u add memos etc for each unit so joining the firm you new of any problems

phone and address of you main contracts you collect and delier for and any problems low bridges weight limits time bans

Ever Wagon should have a atlas Trucker version my first boss taught me this tho was ■■■

Registration and Cap phone numbers with driver name makes it more of informal and helps new driver settle in

Trailer list with height and spec and tyres sizes easy then to double check when doing london etc

Pictures of how to strap special loads you company collects e.g. steel, double stacked trailer

Wagon Inventory e.g. minimum of straps required , digi rolls , torch ( Pain when borrow someone else unit who just start driving and not sure

Toolkit basic for each unit & bulbs , tie raps and insulating tape

Tyre Breakdown Number

Daf Aid or recovery number etc just in case no one in office

Accident forms and camera and protocol

Emergency Fuel card number to call

Snap account number

Stobart have one

Like how to load the trailers
How to lock the cages in
How t use the curtain trailer
How to use the tail lift
How to set he fridge
How to use there computer thing
Maps of drops
Numbers to drops

A few to name

Quite a thick and heavy handbook well detailed handbook

Have you thought about contacting the RHA or FTA to see if they have a generic version that you could use as a template? Most companies that I’ve worked for tended to guard their own company handbooks quite closely, usually on the grounds of commercially sensitive information, and might not help you directly. Our lot would expect us to get written permission before sharing with outside companies and that tends to take forever as they strip out that which is deemed “sensitive”

Can you still buy RHA drivers hand books ?
They were the lorry drivers bible when I started out many years back, they informed drivers of all their rights according to the rules of road transport … For instance : according to RHA rules if you receive a call or have to make a call to your company in your own time you are entitled to an hours overtime pay.

Pat Hasler:
For instance : according to RHA rules if you receive a call or have to make a call to your company in your own time you are entitled to an hours overtime pay.

ROFPMSL … is it 1st of April already?

I must`ve been given more of these handbooks over the years than I care to remember, every time I start at a new site even if its only for a weeks work, I go through the induction process, sign all the forms, watch all the videos, take the tests, and ultimately get given a drivers “handbook”. All of which get filed in the bin. Apart from basic H&S every companies handbook is different depending upon the particular companies POV & contract requirements