Drivers handbook help

Hi all, ben along time since my last post, ive been getting withdrawal symptoms…

I am in the middle of writing A drivers guide/handbook for the company I work for at the moment, I would appreciate input from Drivers & Management alike, or any professionals on here.

Ive got a lot of the Driver regs etc from the Gov website, just need a little help on certain parts

Constructive info aways welcome

Stu

Post it on here (or a link) and you will probably get some help.

All I can say is keep it relevant to the work you do - no sense going on about double manning or continental if you don’t do it.

what to do in the event of an accident. admit to [zb] all.
daily checks.
how to jump start a truck from a fridge trailer.
how to stretch out an extendable trailer.
abnormal load regs.
how to safely change a wheel.
stories to expect at an RDC.
top 10 excuses when running late.
different toll systems in the EU, and where to buy vignettes/ telepasses, etc.
EU lorry bans, and excemptions.
trucking jokes page.

Ok, the work is event production, but most of the driving stuff is normal procedure

next policy module i’m working on here is Defensive driving, its only probably a single page requirement

fuel economy, anti stress, anti road rage, not driving on the vehicles limiter etc etc

Haynes already do a truckers handbook thing already, with helpful stuff up front and also garages/overnight stop places in the back. Might be worth a look to at least help you align your work into manageable sections. I think it’s only a tenner or so…

You have a PM

UnionJack:
Ok, the work is event production, but most of the driving stuff is normal procedure
next policy module i’m working on here is Defensive driving, its only probably a single page requirement
fuel economy, anti stress, anti road rage, not driving on the vehicles limiter etc etc

You should bear in mind that hardly any drivers will read it unless they need to know something specific. It will also (I assume) form part of the driver’s contract of employment so it must reflect company policy at all times, especially in respect of passengers, driving offences, complaints, appearance, accidents (to the truck and/or the driver), punctuality, timekeeping, mobile phone use, personal equipment in the cab (insurance and safety) and probably some more I can’t think of right now. I guess it would only need to refer to the company disciplinary procedure and where it can be found.

On ‘defensive driving’ I would just try to emphasise that if the vehicle is driven economically (and that means reduced fuel consumption and fewer accidents resulting in lower insurance premiums), then there will be more profits (or lower losses) to filter down into future pay rises. In other words “what’s good for us is good for you too”.

On an aside - If I were a TM I would try to address the conflict between planners and drivers about routing. Maybe by some sort of group or sending planners out with a driver for a day and having drivers in the planning office for a day.

most saint gobain companys produce their own one, just pinch one of a jewsons driver and tip-ex the jewsons the name out :wink: