Drivers diet and fitness

I’ve just hit 14 stones, so I’ll have to cut the [zb] out again and try to get back down to the 12 I was at. The main weapon in the armoury for this is a slow cooker. Good food ready for you when you get home (put it in in the AM before you go to work and it’s cooked when you get home in the evening), so no need to order a Pizza for dinner. Packed lunch, 2 litres of water and will start again with the half hour walk on weekdays after work.

peter cherry:
get all the exercise i need at work,throwing 22 gallon beer barrells about all day.asfor diet .cereal for breakfast skimmed milk.sandwiches for snap, no greasy spoons,dinner will be low calorie.in between that lot i will be consuming as much ale as i can.

Which brewery is that Peter? I heard that the HSE didn’t want people throwing anything bigger than firkins about (if that big :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ), let alone kegs or kilderkins.
You’re still a wimp though ( :smiley: ), real men toss barrels about, and on a good day maybe a hogshead or two :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

zuluwarrior:
What are your eating habits like and what do you do in the way of exercise or trying to keep yourself fit.?

Someone havin’ a joke here?
C’mon, these are truckers on here.
Bags o’ crisps, coke, chocolate, kebabs and burgers - and thats just Coffeeholics breakfast! :laughing: :laughing:

Simon:

peter cherry:
get all the exercise i need at work,throwing 22 gallon beer barrells about all day.asfor diet .cereal for breakfast skimmed milk.sandwiches for snap, no greasy spoons,dinner will be low calorie.in between that lot i will be consuming as much ale as i can.

Which brewery is that Peter? I heard that the HSE didn’t want people throwing anything bigger than firkins about (if that big :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ), let alone kegs or kilderkins.
You’re still a wimp though ( :smiley: ), real men toss barrels about, and on a good day maybe a hogshead or two :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

36 gall is the biggest allowed under hse regs,but they are trying to get it down to 22gall. its not so much shooting them down the cellar its the racking that buggers me.racked 10 18gall john smiths cask friday just at one pub & never even offered a drink,next week he gets them where they land and thats it.

During previous ‘fitness campaigns’ (when I had to be. Glad it’s passed now!!) I cut out alcohol for a whole year. Despite the exercise I was doing at he time (rugby training once a week which was worse than the actual game at the weekend :confused: and a couple sessions in the weightroom and one game of squosh per week) didn’t really make much difference to my weight.

A few years later I did the veggie thing for over a year (don’t ask - it was to do with a girl :blush: ), still on the same exercise regieme and I lost loads of weight. It was probably the first time I was below my ‘ideal weight band’ on the rainbow chart thingy!

It was the veggie thing that made me wonder about the Atkins diet; how can you be able to eat as much burgers, bacon & fry-ups as possible so long as you don’t have bread or caffine tea etc■■?

These days I wear a heart rate monitor and if I haven’t burned-off enough calories by the end of the week, i’ll fit in a couple of runs or bike ride or an hour in the gym.

I still can’t get into my 32" jeans though…

I have been told I have to loose a “few” Pounds so it’s toast for breakfast, Lunch varies between low fat sandwich’s or Pitta breads, and dinner is usually chicken or Quorn in some format with lots of veg and rice, sometimes a baked spud. Basically I have to cut virtually all forms of animal fats out!!! Not as easy as it sounds, espicially as I used to live on bacon on beef, excercise is still a swear word to me!!!

The other half told me I was out of shape. I told her rubbish - round is a shape :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In the 6 months or so I’ve been driving I’ve lost about 2 stone…

Must be something about not getting the time to eat :unamused:

What really peeves me off about this thread is,

The auto censor stops me saying legit words like ■■■■ and ■■■■,
but allows profanities such as diet and excersise WHY■■?

Typical truck drivers?

Complete nightmare for me.

Between 4 and 5 consecutive nights out a week with no chance to call in home, living out of MSA’s, mini-markets and burger vans.

Exercise limited to the walk between a drop-site and the next best hitching point, or from stations to collections. Maybe 2 miles a day is all.

Plus pedal-foot-wiggling and indicator-finger-twitching (and occasional air-drums).

And so I go from a week of losing half a stone to a week of putting on half a stone.
Absolute crap :frowning:

diet and fitness :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … good one.
Does beer and chips count?

Diet ■■?
I rarely eat anything from a burger van or out of a MSA, I just hate to waste loads of money on crab food to be honest. When I do buy food it’s usually when I nip into South Mimms in the early morning for a couple of toast with scrambled eggs (which are super at Mimms) and a cup of coffee. Fried breakfast and that sorta thing really isn’t for me…yuck !
I mostly just grab some simple food in the cab. Usually do tramping 4 days a week and mainly live off ryvita krackly bread with some cheese, cucumber and radish. There’s the odd tin of rice pudding and some youghurts in my box as well. For snacking while driving it’s usually peeled carrots or liquorice (which is about 1 % fat). The odd sereal bar goes down as well.
I’ve come to dislike truckstops and MSA more and more. No privacy and too noicy. I always try to find these odd out in the stick places with great views. I collect good views ! If that’s not conveinient I try to find a quiet ind est. If there’s an ASDA or Tesco near by I’ll sometimes go over and buy some roast chicken from the deli and a small bag of lettuce, that’s a real treat for me and far beats the greasy burger van food.
This week I dropped in at Thurrock Park way Asda for chicken on my first night and went to park up in Globe Ind est around the corner cos it’s more quiet there. On my second night I stayed up in the Ivinghoe Hills near Dagnall on the A4146. Fantastic place. Had a good long walk in the hills and the forrest, following squirrels and raw deer, it was bliss. I swear I could hear the wolfes when it got dark !!! :smiley:
On my third night I stayed out in Chippenham, which is totally deserted in the weekends so doesn’t much remind me off a truckstop. The surrounding fields are very welcoming in the warm afternoon sun though I didn’t meet any wolfes or deer there.
I do like to try and get out for a walk when I’m parked up. Not because of the exercise but because I’m too bl**dy nosy to to sit in my cab all day ! The other week I had to take a day at Reading westbound MSA and to my delight found that the small forrest just south of the services was covered in a thick blue carpet of blossoming blue bells. A real post card picture ! And the smell was fantastic too. Better than in the cab ! I met two raw deer which I followed around for a while. I seem to have a thing for these deer !

Who says you only get to see loading bays and the inside of the cab being a truck driver ?
:smiley:
■■
Jo

Fitnescentre
Walking(Lakedistrikt)
Horseriding
Swimming

zuluwarrior:
What are your eating habits like and what do you do in the way of exercise or trying to keep yourself fit.?

Personally speaking, a pie and a pint puts about 2lb on me. I find it difficult to keep to a balanced diet when at work. I don’t eat in cafes and as I don’t do nights out I can take a packed lunch every day. However, when you start at 4am its hard going to eat a salad at 8 when what you really want is a full English.
I try to get to the gym 3 times a week and find that helps keep me reasonably fit. I also do loads of stretches after a long drive and before I get in the back of the trailer to tip.
Any good truckers diets or exercise plans would be helpful so come on folks, lets hear from all you super fit, toned truckers out there!!! :wink: :wink:

:smiley:

Owens_girl:
The other week I had to take a day at Reading westbound MSA and to my delight found that the small forrest just south of the services was covered in a thick blue carpet of blossoming blue bells. A real post card picture ! And the smell was fantastic too. Better than in the cab ! I met two raw deer which I followed around for a while. I seem to have a thing for these deer !

All that area was an old landfill site, amazing what can be done if it’s finished off properly aint it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Are you not thinking of the eastbound side ?
There’s some pretty old oak trees in this little piece of forrest so I find it hard to believe it has been a landfill site. You go out of the services on a small gated lane going off to the south just where you get to the caravan and coach parkings. Follow the lane up till you get to a road and the forrest is on the other site of that road. Direction down towards Burghfield if you look from the services. Perhaps the landfil site could have been between the services and the small road south of the services ?

■■
Jo

Owens_girl:
There’s some pretty old oak trees in this little piece of forrest so I find it hard to believe it has been a landfill site. You go out of the services on a small gated lane going off to the south just where you get to the caravan and coach parkings. Follow the lane up till you get to a road and the forrest is on the other site of that road. Direction down towards Burghfield if you look from the services. Perhaps the landfil site could have been between the services and the small road south of the services ?

■■
Jo

Nope, It’s that whole area, I used to be a waste regulation officer for Berkshire couty council (when it existed) in a former life, that was my area, some of the trees would be left in place, but some of the landfills are hundreds of years old, the area to the west just before the lakes is a fairly recent landfill, the area you were on is a very old one. Even the eastbound area is built on an old landfill.

Owens_girl:

■■
Jo

I’ve delivered some pretty big trees. Not to landfill sites granted, but well grown trees all the same. One delivery we had, they had a 10 tonne crane on site to take the trees off, it wasn’t big enough :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . They had to get a 20 tonner in to do the job :smiley: :smiley:

Sounds like an amazing job Simon !
Did you work for the forrestry ?

■■
Jo