drivers cpc

desypete:

Scanner:

desypete:

Silver_Surfer:
A man of commitment, fair play to you sir!

its the drivers own fault for having no back bone that the haulage industry is in such a mess, when the digi card came in i was ready to quit but being like many drivers thought what else can i do ? now i am 51 if i end up in a factory driving a forklift truck loading you guys who have your cpc i will be on more money or just the same. as for van driving thats where i started 24 years go muiltidropping so iam well used to doing a bit of work.
it is sad to see so many drivers all gave in so you only have yourself to blame in my eyes. the job has changed so much, hell half the drivers of today wouldnt know how to change a gear let alone get about the country if there sat navs break down. and now you want me to have a cpc so i can drive a truck that i have been doing for over 20 years ? no not a chance not no more enough is really enough and if i change my mind in years to come i guess i can always come back to it so long as i get myself a cpc but for now the game can do without me and i only hope many many other experienced guys follow suit. but it doesnt look like they have

:laughing: The pubs have only been open 45 minutes too! People like you are part of the reason we’re no longer the workshop of the world and manufacture very little.

You’re absolutely right, the game can do without you. See, these days experience (as long as you have more than 6 months/1 year/2 years depending on employer) counts for very little. I use hardly any of my experience in my day-to-day work because

A) I don’t need to

B) I’m not allowed to

Large firms in the UK don’t want drivers any more, they want customer service people who hold HGV licences. I’m happy to be one, because they pay me exceptionally well to do very little.

You think the industry is a mess? Guess what, nobody gives a toss what you think, they’re going to carry on whether you like it or not, no DCPC - no job. What did you think drivers were going to do to stop it? Are you a driver or are you just having a go at us?

You’re going to end up working in a call centre, just look at what happened to the coal miners.

PS It’ll be some forklift you’ll be driving to earn what a truck driver does…

its people like you who bow down to you bosses and give the traffic clerk an apple that have cocked it up goody 2 shoes in a cab seen all those types in my time they know all the rules and regs and are happy to sit there for hours on end talking trucks and drivers hours rules
anyway
just finished a shift tonight was talking to the forklift guy he get 430 take home 5 weeks on 1 week off average 50 hours a week, i had agencys ringing me yesterday all needing me to do a shift for them desperate for drivers now i wonder what going to happen next year as i covered 1 shift tonight that ment they couldnt cover the other 2 shifts and this is happening all the time and we havent even got round to sep 14 yet when guys like me put 2 fingers up

:laughing: My nickname at work is VOR. The traffic clerk hates me because I’m not shy about refusing to use unroadworthy vehicles.

I do indeed know all the rules and regulations, I ran my own firm for years. However, I don’t “sit there for hours on end talking trucks and drivers’ hours rules” because I have no need to. I generally avoid talking to other drivers where I work, I find them tiresome, to put it mildly.

See the guy’s wageslip for those buttons, did you?

An agency rang you to do a shift? Well there’s a thing.

Who exactly do you think is going to care when you “put 2 fingers up”?

Scanner:
:laughing: My nickname at work is VOR. The traffic clerk hates me because I’m not shy about refusing to use unroadworthy vehicles.

I do indeed know all the rules and regulations, I ran my own firm for years. However, I don’t “sit there for hours on end talking trucks and drivers’ hours rules” because I have no need to. I generally avoid talking to other drivers where I work, I find them tiresome, to put it mildly.

Are you me?

Truckbling:

Scanner:

Are you me?

I can be whoever you want me to be…

Providing the money’s right :laughing:

I did a day last week and the tutor said PSV drivers are simply not coming forward for the training and their “date” is September THIS YEAR!!
I reckon it will be interesting to see what happens with them lads on the buses. After all, apart from National Express and maybe Shearings who could maybe be in a position to put their drivers through the courses, the vast majority of bus companies are small family outfits who no doubt leave their guys to find/fund their own training. This is the exact opposite of the lorry world where big firms rule and probably most drivers are getting paid to attend the courses. How many bus drivers are 65+, maybe do the school runs for pocket money? I cant see them doing Jack about this CPC and therell be a shortage.
As for our courses going through the roof pricewise…the PSV courses haven`t!!!..1 month to go as well, so I might just hold out for now and see what happens.

Sorry that’s not right about the bus companies.

The majority of buses are operated by huge companies like Stagecoach, First etc. They just turned their own existing training arms into JAUPT approved training centres and all their drivers are already trained up. The small commercial DCPC training providers won’t see bus drivers coming forward to be trained because their employers have already done it.

Lots of the medium size bus and coach operators have already trained most of their drivers. For example it was a precondition that you were doing DCPC if you tendered for London Olympics work. Some local authorities are already insisting that drivers on schools service etc are taking part in DCPC. Drivers on TfL services have to have D CPC training.

No doubt there’s a few diehard small coach operators who won’t bother, but given it’s a competitive business with over-capacity, they will just go out of business and hardly anyone will notice.

The reason the price isn’t going up is there is far more capacity in the training sector than was envisaged, and the vast majority of PCV drivers are or have been trained in-house by their employers.

truckingtopics.co.uk/rhaconference.html

So, no chance whatsoever of DCPC not being enforced in September: this year or next.

cheekymonkey:
I did a day last week and the tutor said PSV drivers are simply not coming forward for the training and their “date” is September THIS YEAR!!
I reckon it will be interesting to see what happens with them lads on the buses. After all, apart from National Express and maybe Shearings who could maybe be in a position to put their drivers through the courses, the vast majority of bus companies are small family outfits who no doubt leave their guys to find/fund their own training. This is the exact opposite of the lorry world where big firms rule and probably most drivers are getting paid to attend the courses. How many bus drivers are 65+, maybe do the school runs for pocket money? I cant see them doing Jack about this CPC and therell be a shortage.
As for our courses going through the roof pricewise…the PSV courses haven`t!!!..1 month to go as well, so I might just hold out for now and see what happens.

as gasgas says below, MOST bus companies do their own in-house Dcpc courses.

GasGas:

The majority of buses are operated by huge companies like Stagecoach, First etc. They just turned their own existing training arms into JAUPT approved training centres and all their drivers are already trained up. The small commercial DCPC training providers won’t see bus drivers coming forward to be trained because their employers have already done it.

Lots of the medium size bus and coach operators have already trained most of their drivers. For example it was a precondition that you were doing DCPC if you tendered for London Olympics work. Some local authorities are already insisting that drivers on schools service etc are taking part in DCPC. Drivers on TfL services have to have D CPC training.

No doubt there’s a few diehard small coach operators who won’t bother, but given it’s a competitive business with over-capacity, they will just go out of business and hardly anyone will notice.

The reason the price isn’t going up is there is far more capacity in the training sector than was envisaged, and the vast majority of PCV drivers are or have been trained in-house by their employers.

So, no chance whatsoever of DCPC not being enforced in September: this year or next.

Im a PCV licence holder and need to complete 1 more unit and have a month to do it to keep my PCV up to date!

the agency im currently class 2ing for are a JAUPT approved training centre so i will approach them and see if i can get it done!

B…

Interesting how the coach & bus industry does a better job of recruiting and training than the truck industry.

This

johnsonscoaches.co.uk/PDFs/T … n_2010.pdf

Is from a medium-size family-owned regional company.

How many truck operaotrs offer anything like this?

I am with a small family run bus firm.The gaffer paid for our courses but we were not paid for attending them.There are a fair number of older guys not doing the DCPC and walking away from the job.Really how is it sensible to tell a man who has had his license for 35 years that he now needs training.?I am 60 years old and do a bit of taking kids to swimming and sports centres so I get about 25 -30 hours most weeks.The retired drivers who do 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the afternoon just dont want the aggravation of this exercise.They can still drive 8 seater taxis but not mini-buses.

GasGas:

Thanks for the correction GG. I admit I know very little about buses. From the outside it seems far more fragmented than frieght.It doesn’t suprise me that their drivers are better treated than us.

Scanner:
: See, these days experience (as long as you have more than 6 months/1 year/2 years depending on employer) counts for very little. I use hardly any of my experience in my day-to-day work because

A) I don’t need to
B) I’m not allowed to
Large firms in the UK don’t want drivers any more, they want customer service people who hold HGV licences. I’m happy to be one,

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Jeeeeezus h Christ ! :unamused: we’re all going to hell in a handcart if this is how the modern driver thinks. I’ve finally heard it all :laughing:
About to go away for the weekend right now with a big grin on my face after that comment. best post of the year so far :laughing: …Bye all!

robroy:

Scanner:
: See, these days experience (as long as you have more than 6 months/1 year/2 years depending on employer) counts for very little. I use hardly any of my experience in my day-to-day work because

A) I don’t need to
B) I’m not allowed to
Large firms in the UK don’t want drivers any more, they want customer service people who hold HGV licences. I’m happy to be one,

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Jeeeeezus h Christ ! :unamused: we’re all going to hell in a handcart if this is how the modern driver thinks. I’ve finally heard it all :laughing:
About to go away for the weekend right now with a big grin on my face after that comment. best post of the year so far :laughing: …Bye all!

context:
noun.

1. The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.

2. The circumstances in which an event occurs; a setting

to the comments that said good to see the back of old drivers who refuse to do the training etc

ok tell me what training do i need ?
i have driven almost everything there is to drive in the uk over my time in the game. i can handle all combinations, i can drive all types of gear boxes from eaton twin splits,4 over 4, blah blah blah
i have never had any type of accident expect for the odd broken lens etc that can happen from time to time but certainly nothing major like a crash or any infringements
i know the country like the back of my hand i dont need a sat nav, ( sadly we had to learn to get around the country useing maps and get to a town and then stop to ask for directions etc )

so over 25 years i have done a decent job from my experience working with agency’s as self employed these days, i find i always am in demand simply because i dont damage trucks and loads get to were they need to be on time and in good order
i dont want to work full time anymore for any company simply because they dont pay enough compared to what i was earning say 15 years ago the money really hasnt increased my hourly rate back then would of been 7,25 per hour plus overtime after 8 hours, time and a half sat and double time sunday

all these changes that have gone on for years have made the industry the way it is and its because the drivers fear they wouldnt have a job if they dared stand up and say no more, they honestly belive they would lose there jobs and not see it that without each and every driver out there the whole country would crash if we all refused to work for just 1 week

so to those who have no balls other than to have a go at me because i dare to say enough is enough pay your 8.50ph ( no overtime ) wages to someone else as i can make up the hourly rate doing any other sort of job than all the crap that goes with lugging trailers around the country

so what training do i need exactly to be a safe reliable driver ? given my track record in driving you guys honestly belive i need to sit in a class room for 35 hours and pay for it as well all in the name of training for me well sorry but i dont think i need any sort of training other than maybe a refresher course on hours or changes that comes in and that shouldnt be a 35 hour class room pile of crap
sorry if i sound like a know it all but when it comes to driving trucks i know what to do and how to do it thanks
i passed my test 25 years ago and since then i have done well
now unless your telling me that training involves teaching me how to drive again and that for all my accident free years i have been driving wrong or dangerous then i really dont see why i should have to undergo the training
its just another money making scam and sad to see that so many drivers have taken it up as they belive they can not change it and its true my stance will not change things not if i am the only one but if every driver took a stance the whole country would grind to a halt and drivers would be able to up wages better conditions etc which would help the next generation of drivers to come into the game
i have put my son off driving for a living and its a shame as my dad was a trucker and i followed in his footsteps as a lot of guys had done back in the day
oh well maybe there right i am an old dinosaur and about time people like me got out of the game

To desypete…So what you gonna do after D-Day 9th September 2014■■?

Pack it in or do the training & crack on■■?

.Different countries are interpreting the DCPC legislation to suit there own agendas. Our Government are of course giving us a right shafting.

I have chosen this quote, not to single out the poster but because it illustrates a point which I wish to make.

It is said often on here that the government stitched up drivers on here, that the DCPC is pointless, waste of money etc.

I think the UK government did UK drivers a favour. This was a directive that had to be implemented. However, governments could choose how it was implemented.

The then government realised that the DCPC would be unpopular and decided to make it as easy as possible to obtain whilst remaining within the spirit of the directive. Hence the initial CPC is just an exam (as compared with France for example where the initial CPC is 156 hours of classroom and road based training and assessment), and the continuation training for the CPC is just attendance based and can be done with just one 7 hour module each year over 5 years (again compared with France where it has to be done in 1 week within the final year of you currently valid card).

Also by allowing all sorts of training to count, it can be obtained in as many different and at times very cheap ways.

The details of the different ways it was implemented throughout the EU can be read in the various tables here.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/professional_drivers/report_on_periodic_training_of_professional_drivers_en.pdf

If we had a Prime Minister with balls like Margaret Thatcher this waste of time would have been kicked out.She would stand up to those little people and bellow NO,NO,NO.I often ask drivers about their experience of the DCPC so far no one has had a positive word for it.Many drivers have said that they were given wrong or out of date information some have spent the time playing with their phones and some have had a sleep.Those guys are now trained.