Drivers cpc for pcv

Just after a bit of advice here,my parents run a mini bus business,only 1 vehicle now.They were ‘invited’ to a seminar about the drivers cpc ran by their local council as they provide a service to them. At said seminar they were told that my dad would not need to undertake any form of training for the cpc as he does not require to have it being a one man band with only 1 vehicle. Does this seem right or not?
Simon :sunglasses:

thegeordie:
Just after a bit of advice here,my parents run a mini bus business,only 1 vehicle now.They were ‘invited’ to a seminar about the drivers cpc ran by their local council as they provide a service to them. At said seminar they were told that my dad would not need to undertake any form of training for the cpc as he does not require to have it being a one man band with only 1 vehicle. Does this seem right or not?

As it is a PCV then he or anyone else that drives the minibus for Hire or reward will have to complete the PERIODIC DIVER CPC 35 hours of attendance training by 2014

This is a very simple explanation for the two types of DRIVER CPC.
It deliberately does not go into any sort of detail as a lot of the details have not yet been finalised.

The DRIVER CPC allows a driver to drive for HIRE or REWARD

There are TWO types of DRIVER CPC.

The INITIAL (to get a D1, D, C1 or C licence) & the PERIODIC (ongoing) for when you have the D1, D, C1, C or C+E licence

The INITIAL driver cpc is purely for a D1, D, C1 or C licence acquisition and is about the same as what is done now but with some senario questions added as an extra theory test and a half hour extra of questions about certain areas of safety which may include physically showing the examiner how to strap, chain, rope a load etc

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer, needs renewing every 5 years and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions, spread over the 5 year period - the 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.( 2 x 3.5 hours)

I do not know what it will cover or consist of because the DSA etc have not finalised it yet :exclamation:

If you have a D1, D, D+E, C1, C or C+E licence on Sept 10 2009 then the 35 hours will need to be done by Sept 2014 to retain your right to drive for HIRE or REWARD - it does NOT affect your right to retain your LGV or PCV licence.

Those that pass the INITIAL driver cpc after Sept 10 2009 will have to do their PERIODIC driver cpc within 5 years from their pass date - the 5 year expiry date should be on the issued DRIVER CPC CARD.

The medical requirements will not change.

The upgrading to a C+E or D+E licence will not change from what it is now.

I Hope that I have managed to make things a little clearer and I regret that I cannot offer any more positive info than I have already put here :slight_smile:

The DRIVER CPC is not the same as other CPCs

Thanks Rog,it confirms what I thought,I really dont think northumberland council or their representatives who ran the seminar actually had any idea what they were on about,there are various other things that were mentioned that I know to be wrong,but thats another story :wink:

thegeordie:
Thanks Rog,it confirms what I thought,I really dont think northumberland council or their representatives who ran the seminar actually had any idea what they were on about,there are various other things that were mentioned that I know to be wrong,but thats another story :wink:

Give them a link to this site :bulb: :smiley:

Right. My CPC card has arrived. For Cat C, C1, C1E & CE it has an expiry date of Sept 2014

I only hold Cat C1 of the above

For Cat D1, D, D1E, DE I have an expiry date of Oct 2013. I hold a cat D and D1. My date of passing my Cat D/D1 was Oct 2008.

Hope this means something to you all :wink: I take it to meant that my PCV CPC is different to my LGV CPC. Am I wrong?!

Also, on the front the ‘category’ section has CE and DE in it, although I only hold C1, D1 and D… Odd.

Saratoga:
Right. My CPC card has arrived. For Cat C, C1, C1E & CE it has an expiry date of Sept 2014

I only hold Cat C1 of the above

For Cat D1, D, D1E, DE I have an expiry date of Oct 2013. I hold a cat D and D1. My date of passing my Cat D/D1 was Oct 2008.

Hope this means something to you all :wink: I take it to meant that my PCV CPC is different to my LGV CPC. Am I wrong?!

Also, on the front the ‘category’ section has CE and DE in it, although I only hold C1, D1 and D… Odd.

What a ‘■■■■-up’ :exclamation:

That gives some wrong info.

They have listed all the LGV & PCV catagories which may be a standard thing so they don’t have to mess around with individual entitlements. That’s fair enough but they have listed 2 different dates where they should have only listed the earliest date. The reason is that doing either the PCV & LGV PERIODIC driver cpc counts for the other - only one lot of 35 hours needs doing.

The 2013 date is the relevant one in this case and, when done, will count as both LGV & PCV til 2018.

EDIT - after making a number of phone calls trying to find out WHO is responsible for the info put on the card - I have come to a dead end so, time to E-mail my MP who WILL fine out and get an explanation.
Please bear with me as it is likely to take about 14 days for a definitive reply.

Wow! Such service :wink: I wasn’t expecting that at all. If you would like a scan of the relevant card rear where the dates are you have just to ask :wink:

Saratoga:
Wow! Such service :wink: I wasn’t expecting that at all. If you would like a scan of the relevant card rear where the dates are you have just to ask :wink:

I looked at it this way…

You were confused about it and if I had no knowledge of the new DRIVER CPCs then I would have been too - and many others as well. I’ll bet :exclamation:

As this is new to everyone including those that are given the remit to design the cards, then it needs sorting ASAP - well before the LGV one comes into being from Sept next year.

One more complicated question… :wink:

I’ve currently got full PCV D1. If I upgrade to D after the first deadline date, will I also have to take the Initial CPC, or do I get grandfather rights from my existing D1 like you do for C/C+E?

MrFlibble:
One more complicated question… :wink:

I’ve currently got full PCV D1. If I upgrade to D after the first deadline date, will I also have to take the Initial CPC, or do I get grandfather rights from my existing D1 like you do for C/C+E?

Grandfather rights