Drivers banned from RDCs - How does that work?

Often see posts here about drivers getting banned from specific RDCs, or even in some cases banned from all RDCs operated by a particular company. It’s often proudly touted as some sort of badge of honour.

But how does such a ban operate in the real world? Do they keep a book of known wrong ‘uns, or some sort of rogues’ gallery on the wall in the gatehouse? Bear in mind that a biggish RDC will have numerous gate staff working across several shifts, so there must be some mechanism for passing this information on to other staff. Do they even take drivers’ names in the first place? I don’t do many RDC type deliveries, but when I do, they generally only take vehicle, trailer and booking reference. In the few places where name is recorded it’s generally just on a paper log (there’s a good reason for this, as recording personal info in a computer system would open up a whole new can of Data Protection worms - so they don’t do it unless necessary).

So how does it work? Just musing on the subject while sunning myself in the garden.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Often see posts here about drivers getting banned from specific RDCs, or even in some cases banned from all RDCs operated by a particular company. It’s often proudly touted as some sort of badge of honour.

But how does such a ban operate in the real world? Do they keep a book of known wrong ‘uns, or some sort of rogues’ gallery on the wall in the gatehouse? Bear in mind that a biggish RDC will have numerous gate staff working across several shifts, so there must be some mechanism for passing this information on to other staff. Do they even take drivers’ names in the first place? I don’t do many RDC type deliveries, but when I do, they generally only take vehicle, trailer and booking reference. In the few places where name is recorded it’s generally just on a paper log (there’s a good reason for this, as recording personal info in a computer system would open up a whole new can of Data Protection worms - so they don’t do it unless necessary).

So how does it work? Just musing on the subject while sunning myself in the garden.

Well if you go to Tossco’s it is done by inputting data at the gate. Perhaps they have fingerprint recognition. :grimacing:

At Next South Elmsall they have a list of names and firms pinned to wall in security :laughing:

I got “banned” from DHL in Bicester. No idea if it was an actual ban as I never got sent back again, not even remotely interested. If I was walking past and the place was on fire and I was desperate for a wee I’d still wait until I could find a toilet.

Presumably just booking reference and vehicle reg?

As I said, I rarely do RDC type stuff but the paper gate log is generally as far as their name-taking goes.

I wanted to get banned from Iceland Swindon but it never happened. It won’t now as I have retired :smiley:

I know loads who got banned on purpose at more Wakefield chilled , they just didn’t get sent there anymore which made there day / week / year
All they did was when given job just said can’t go there I’m banned , so t/0 just gave them something else

Ive seen a list of mugshots at some rdcs with the name and company.

Not that I’m bothered, but can’t help but wonder at the legality of any ban, unless it was for a criminal matter. I’ve got in mind the so called black list of names that used to be had in the building industry a while back that was declared illegal if anyone remembers it.

If someone is barred just for being difficult I.e. insisting on taking breaks etc, perhaps they might be in for a nice extra payday with the help of a hungry enough lawyer?

I was banned from an rdc last year so my company kept me away from that job until i was accidently given that run recently and i went in without any problems. The guy who banned me probably doesn’t remember my face, just like i don’t remember his. Regarding name when signing in, i use a different fake name everytime, always have done just for the fun of it. Bob Carolgees was the last one i used

Why do they even have a waste of time security guard taking waste of time records? Surely if something was to happen they would refer to the registration number, and find the company and the employee from that. Would be rather weird for the truck to have been stolen but they still did the shift! [emoji23]

stu675:
Why do they even have a waste of time security guard taking waste of time records? Surely if something was to happen they would refer to the registration number, and find the company and the employee from that. Would be rather weird for the truck to have been stolen but they still did the shift! [emoji23]

It’s just like most of the paperwork those places do. Fill in log to say you read safety rules with name reg etc. Then security ask for reg number (parked directly in front of them). Then go in to goods in. They ask for reg number. Then they print a sheet and say take this to the desk in the warehouse ,who ask for reg number and say we’ll come get you when we’re ready. Most of it seems a load of ■■■■■■■■

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

ArcticMonkey:
Regarding name when signing in, i use a different fake name everytime, always have done just for the fun of it. Bob Carolgees was the last one i used

:laughing: :laughing:

I’ve used Hugh Jardon, and Mike Hunt a few times.

wasnt banned but i once carved my name into a gatepost at a place when i was made to wait for a long time by “old gatey” . years later the place was closed but id call by time to time see my name still up at the gate