Driverless Trucks?

Came across this today, couple of problems i can think of, and me being only a newbie! But, although some way away yet, is this a threat to general haulage?

independent.co.uk/life-style … 47546.html

Well I’m not worried let’s face it it’s years waway yet and by then i’ll probably retired or getting close to it. I did drive a new Actros the other day with the PPS system or whatever it’s called fitted in that was quite good as it has all the roads mapped in and uses GPS to adjust speed accordingly on hills.

Think of them poor romanians been undercut in the labour market.
On a serious note i can see that set up of hitching trucks together by bluetooth and having one driver could work easily.

Lets see em blame the driver when some ■■■■ on a bike in London gets crushed then .

Short answer - No.

Long answer - CBA writing it.

Can’t see it in the near future ,but probably one day,though there will always be an driver…Afterall planes don’t really need pilots as they can take off and land by themselves…And again can’t see them getting rid of the pilot ,people like to see the pilot ,it’s reassuring for the passengers :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How do they open the back doors or curtains ? Can’t see it happening, use all the technology there is but nothin beats human power

there was a video on here a while ago German I think was been used at a RDC or a factory it picks up a Trailer from one point move it to another be to loaded then parks it up ready for collection used to follow lines on the floor

And there was that army one on Top gear the other year they raced against a range rover

Still a way off since there vehicle platoon thing is still caught in red tape

The technology is there are driverless ‘trucks’ on most major ports now. Its only getting the public to accept robots that lays in the way.
The Google driverless car has done 300,000 miles and no accidents caused by the car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car%20Google%20driverless%20car

1st problem i thought of was infrastructure, i presume they would require their own lane especially if they “tow” 2 more via bluetooth or whatever, but how to get to the various depots once off the motorway etc?

All those driverless loads will make nice easy pickings for thieves. As said above Planes are capable of flying themselves yet still have a pilot so there might be hope for us yet !

It’s ok till the rear one has a blowout and the lead driver is too far away to notice. It’s never going to happen on uk roads.

100% reliable? That alone will prevent this from happening since there is no such thing with technology. There are also such things as communication black spots all over the place which may break the signal. That could happen at a crucial time which may have serious repercussions if the link is not back in time to prevent one or more driverless trucks going off on their own with nothing controlling them. No health and safety obsessed society or government will allow this to come in