Driverless lorries to be trialled in UK

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35737104

As someone that is sick of dead end jobs, how much should I be ■■■■■■■■ myself before I spend the best part of £2000 to drive the big stuff :\

It won’t happen in your life time

nick2008:

Agreed I wouldn’t even begin to worry about this.

At 44 I’m not worried, and can see it being many decades before we are not considered a requirement, whether we are actually controlling it or just supervising it. Personally I’ll be looking forward to the day I can sit back and chill while it does the trunking part of the journey. The day a computer can drive a truck safely around urban areas without a human, are a very long way away… :smiley:

Seems like a good thing in terms of transporting stuff from hub to hub.
Effectively though its just a roadtrain which may be good on the Autobahn or on american roads but not sure about here.

I can’t see this replacing us though. How would it work with multidrop? customer expected to jump in the back and pull out their own stuff? Taxis and buses? a lot of people would be getting free rides without a driver to take the money off them.

I think this could be great if you could just press a button and it took over during the boring motorways stints of your journey though.

Personally I don’t make a good passenger so don’t think I could sit back and relax while a computer takes over the driving.

Knowing how easily computers and computer tech can have a brain ■■■■ and then get currupted I don’t think I could ever completely trust this kind of technology.

Evil8Beezle:
At 44 I’m not worried, and can see it being many decades before we are not considered a requirement, whether we are actually controlling it or just supervising it. Personally I’ll be looking forward to the day I can sit back and chill while it does the trunking part of the journey. The day a computer can drive a truck safely around urban areas without a human, are a very long way away… :smiley:

It’s alright for you oldies :unamused: I’m 20 and I’m not ashamed to say I’m scared. Imagine the paycuts “Well you’re not actually driving so we’re gonna pay you less when the truck is control”

htmldude:

Evil8Beezle:

It’s alright for you oldies :unamused: I’m 20 and I’m not ashamed to say I’m scared. Imagine the paycuts “Well you’re not actually driving so we’re gonna pay you less when the truck is control”

Are train drivers paid less when doing nothing?
I think you are worrying unnecessarily, have a look at the same thread on the main forum.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=135488

Thanks for the replies, still going through with it, I’ll deal with Skynet and the Terminators when they get here :smiley:

Medical on the 11th so the ball is rolling.

nick2008:

Do you know something he doesn’t? Are you planning something illegal?